Gransnet forums

AIBU

to hope that bad language would be considered offensive?

(187 Posts)
supernana Thu 05-May-11 14:53:07

Does anyone feel sad that old fashioned manners...please...thankyou...excuse me - are no longer "hip". I loathe the frequent use of foul language, especially on comedy shows.

Divawithattitude Fri 06-May-11 17:34:31

It has absolutely nothing to do with self control and self respect, if folk choose to swear here it is their choice to do so and not yours to impose your wishes and opinions on them.

People have very different social styles, upbringings and values, I think it is important that all are welcome on here. The internet is a strange beast in that respect and in my experience if I don't like what I see I WOB, walk on by and move on to the next poster who is more in my style.

grandmaagain Fri 06-May-11 17:39:50

why should it be here because you do? swearing is impolite always has been and always will be just because a lot of people do it does"nt make it right.

Divawithattitude Fri 06-May-11 18:46:55

Again, grandmaagain, this is your opinion and you are entitled to it as I am to mine.

I don't like posts about people having affairs, I don't like posts about religion, I don't like the pedant posts who criticise how other people speak and write english, but it is not up to me to pass judgement in an open forum on those posts just because of my personal opinions - so I tend to keep those opinions to myself and join in on the threads that do interest me and I feel that I can usefully contribute to. There are those who use communities such as this to take every opportunity to criticise others, their actions, opinions, spelling, language and any number of other things, for me life is too short and I have too many other things to worry about. If I don't like it I can ignore it.

bettyboop Fri 06-May-11 19:53:51

My Mum is going to LOVE it on here.
Can't wait to sign her up grin

Divawithattitude Fri 06-May-11 20:13:13

The more the merrier!

Notsogrand Fri 06-May-11 20:49:48

Diva, you make some really good points there. Being a grown up, I struggle a bit with people trying to influence my behaviour and responses.

senua Fri 06-May-11 20:59:53

I have never understood the comment on MN when people say "I like swearing" Why?confused
Swearing is usually an expresion of anger or frustration. Do people actually like being angry or frustrated? Or, if it is not an expression of anger / frustration then why choose swearing? Why deliberately choose offensive language (and then laugh at those who are offendedangry)

It's not big and it's not clever. I really hope that the bad language stops at MN and GN is a bit more civilised.

Divawithattitude Fri 06-May-11 21:20:23

Perhaps (and I hesitate a little before putting this down in words) those of us who have found our way here via Mumsnet are older and wiser and somewhat more inclined to express our frustration in other ways than with swearing, although I have to say that some times I feel the need to swear long and loud.

usualsuspect Fri 06-May-11 21:58:46

I'm old and wise

I swear because I'm a grown up and this is a grown up forum

trickymicky Fri 06-May-11 21:59:23

hi, i'm new to this, (joined today) i'm a very proud grandad, as regards to foul language, really hope i dont see any on here, i,m growing older gracefully, and i certainly would not like to see and swear words from people of my generation.

Divawithattitude Fri 06-May-11 22:02:59

then I have a sneaking feeling Micky you may be disappointed

twinklepickers Fri 06-May-11 22:04:56

Don't worry trickymicky there will be no fowl language because there is no chicken keepers topic. grin

Divawithattitude Fri 06-May-11 22:07:04

OOOOH yes, where are the chicken topics going to go.......

trickymicky Fri 06-May-11 22:08:40

chicken keepers?? am i missing something???

Divawithattitude Fri 06-May-11 22:10:27

no we are missing it on Gransnet, we will have to put a request in...........

trickymicky Fri 06-May-11 22:12:16

cant we just start our own (chicken) topic??? still getting my head round this site...

usualsuspect Fri 06-May-11 22:13:12

Fuck shock

trickymicky Fri 06-May-11 22:13:53

why??

usualsuspect Fri 06-May-11 22:19:37

Because I can grin

Divawithattitude Fri 06-May-11 22:20:16

very subversive!

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 06-May-11 22:21:44

trickymicky

How old are you?

Why not try growing old disgracefully?! wink

crazynanna Fri 06-May-11 22:21:49

usual it is not huge and it is not witty! shock

usualsuspect Fri 06-May-11 22:26:39

Yeah it is grin

mamanC Fri 06-May-11 23:36:52

Oh oh. Another Internet forum nurturing nasty asides, the more immature the better...........Yawn

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 07-May-11 00:14:19

These are hardly nasty asides!

And why immature?

Why not put forward your own view about swearing instead?