Gransnet forums

AIBU

to hope that bad language would be considered offensive?

(187 Posts)
supernana Thu 05-May-11 14:53:07

Does anyone feel sad that old fashioned manners...please...thankyou...excuse me - are no longer "hip". I loathe the frequent use of foul language, especially on comedy shows.

grannyactivist Wed 08-Jun-11 09:44:19

I agree with you dorsetpennt that racist language far outweighs what we think of as swear words in terms of being offensive. As for blasphemy; it can be upsetting to those for whom God is very real and very special (though usually not meant to offend by the many who use it), so perhaps we can cut the other Granny a bit of slack. smile

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 08-Jun-11 13:36:05

I'm not necessarily pro-swearing, and you will see from all my posts on Gransnet (apart from one earlier, where I used swear words as an example, that I have never sworn or used any kind of profane or offensive language here.

But I do believe that if people want to swear that they should be allowed to. People do, in 2011, and do so quite frequently. That's all.

I find it amusing, however, that this debate is raging on, with all the moral outrage being expressed, when in reality there is very, very little bad language being used on any of the threads on Gransnet.

grandmaagain Wed 08-Jun-11 13:55:37

for my part the moral outrage is not about gransnet but society in general, it is there that I would like to see more polite speech and not the F word used as a casual adjective.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 08-Jun-11 14:05:30

I understand you, granamaagain, but I think it's too late, and society is very different now.

helshea Wed 08-Jun-11 18:38:19

Just a question .. if I used the word fornification, would anyone be insulted? if not it proves the point that it is not the word, but how it is used... and it can hardly be used too violently in a grannies forum!

jennybumble Thu 16-Jun-11 14:20:40

I agree with all the gransnetters who say keep swearing off the forums, we don't need it, there are plenty of other words to use. I especially hate the "f"word. It is used so much, even on the tv. Long may these words be kept off the forums.
I am also a real fan of manners, the other day I said to my grandson " say thank you granny " he looked at me and said " your welcome". I was floored by a 2 year old . grin

supernana Thu 30-Jun-11 17:24:47

jennybumble smile

lane70 Thu 30-Jun-11 18:12:10

But....but...but...

If you don't like swearing, why start a thread about it LOL!

sylvia2036 Thu 30-Jun-11 21:12:40

I do swear occasionally but never AT someone - it's more often than not when I am feeling frustrated by something and I curse to myself. I certainly used to swear at the telephone (after I had put it down of course) when I had finished dealing with a difficult client (I used to work for a solicitor) BUT I would never ever swear in any of these threads - that is impolite and disrespectful. There is absolutely no need for it. Supernana - maybe we are old fashioned but if one cannot put a point over without using foul language then there's something lacking.

maxgran Fri 01-Jul-11 10:59:07

My Son's two boys never stop saying please and thank you. Their mother keeps going on and on about it to them and I am pleased they are so polite but I don't expect them to thank me for everything I do ! She is obsessed about people thinking her boys are polite to the point of paranoia.

Joan Fri 01-Jul-11 23:11:17

I agree that bad language has its time and place - and the time and place is most definitely when you've had a nasty shock, hurt yourself, or you're having a horrible argument with your husband! Using the F word every other word in normal discourse is a pointless waste of breath, and no-one needs to hear it any more than they would want to look into an open sewer.

I had two sons three years apart, and when they were about 6 and 9 I heard them using foul language at each other, so I told them about the ancient Anglo-Saxon insult contests, where two men (it was always men) would hurl elaborate abuse at each other without necessarily using foul language. it just had to be funny and constructive and innovative. (language and linguistics have always interested me). I pointed out that swearing, using the same couple of words over and over was extremely boring.

Well, it took: the insults continue minus the swear words but - phew - they got good at it!!