Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grammar

(15 Posts)
6babymaker Thu 05-May-11 22:15:29

In thinking that FIAT should advertise that the car gives 'fewer' rather than 'less' emmissions?

Supergranny Thu 05-May-11 22:24:23

YANBU! I hate the use of less when it should be fewer. I find I can't help myself when it comes to correcting people on it, too, no matter what the circumstances. Am sure I am very irritating smile.

6babymaker Thu 05-May-11 22:35:53

Hi Supergranny, have you seen the 'pedant' threads? Just up your street too!

Nanny0gg Thu 05-May-11 22:42:08

Have you seen the Gloria Hunniford advert? It's for the Moonwalk, or another breast cancer one, not sure.

She uses 'less' at least three times, when it should be 'fewer'.

Drives me insane!

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 06-May-11 09:10:44

Spelt 'emissions' ...

<heads off to Pedants' Corner>

RedRidingHood Fri 06-May-11 11:18:18

One of my pet hates too.
I tell the children if you can count it it's fewer, if you can't count it use less.

getmehrt Fri 06-May-11 12:41:53

Loathe it, loathe it. It's not as if it's complicated.

MrsDjangoDog Fri 06-May-11 22:30:26

A friend of mine used to say "I drink fewer pints so that I have less beer". Sums it up nicely.

GeraldineS Sat 07-May-11 22:04:56

I find myself shouting at the TV screen - FEWER !!!!! It is so annoying !

gordonlacey Mon 09-May-11 22:08:18

Less and fewer confusion is irritating but how about people who think there is a verb to of as in I would of told him or people who say they are going to be pacific about something!!!

puddingandpie Mon 09-May-11 22:43:29

When you ask, "Would you like a drink or something else?", why oh why do they answer, "No, I'm all right thanks"?

Valkyrie Tue 10-May-11 16:20:20

I used to correct my daughter's grammar all the time she was growing up, irritated her too, but at least she talks properly

CeilingCat Thu 12-May-11 22:08:09

I've always said "less sugar, fewer grains". Seems to work!

jackyann Tue 17-May-11 19:40:39

If we are being pedantic, then I think that an argument can be put for "less emissions" as they are a nebulous quantity.

Although I am a Co-op girl, on the occasions I go to Waitrose, I smile at the "10 items or fewer" aisle & give them a thumbs-up!

I made a joke with grown-up son when he said "literally blew my head off" and I said "well, I'm glad that wasn't really true, was it?" and he said "Mum, everyone knows that, I keep telling you it's just an expression"

Jaxie Sun 05-Jun-11 13:51:12

Gloria Hunniford drives me mad anyway - she looks as though she's on a treble dose of HRT - like the kind of person whose handbag reeks of stale cosmetics. She seems to exude false concern when she's uttering platitudes on "Cash in the Attic" Not my idea of what a granny should look like or behave. Miaou