Gransnet forums

AIBU

Language

(47 Posts)
sixtiesgirl Tue 10-May-11 13:08:20

Could we please refrain from using initials instead of proper words? We are the generation who were taught general English in the true sense of the word. Why are some of you Grandmothers trying to emulate the trendy way of texting when you are not in fact texting? It is off-putting to others.

SkyesGran Sat 14-May-11 18:17:57

I don't understand text-talk or abbreviations! I might be a bit slow but I like to use the Queen's English. Proper spelling and proper punctuation. Maybe that's why I could not get on with shorthand at college, it did not look like English to me! Could not get my head around it!
Maybe I am just old-fashioned! smile

BurgundyGran Sat 14-May-11 19:41:31

As has been said grandparents are within a varying age range, myself am in my 60s. I did learn to spell and us the correct grammar, extend my vocabulary and always try and write and spell correctly. However, I do intend to grow old somewhat disgracefully and can txt spk along with the best of them.

Nowadays I have rheumatoid arthritis and writing by hand is too painful so I use the computer to type letters, I also find just answering forums a bit hard on the hands and do find myslef slipping into what my English teacher would call 'slovenly ways', but for a 21st century gran is that all bad? As long as we understand one another, have a good time and make loads of friends no one is getting hurt are they?

grannyrosie Sun 15-May-11 13:32:10

OMG!

nannym Mon 16-May-11 12:01:55

Diva - you seem to be determined to be confrontational. I've noticed in several of your postings that your tone comes across as quite aggressive when you disagree with another person's comments. Are you just trying to live up to your username or are you genuinely a bit of a hard case?

lucyjordan Mon 16-May-11 12:31:59

I have to agree with the Original Poster of this thread. I hate these abbreviated initial letters, and my first day here, i started a thread myself, on that very same subject, because i couldnt understand half of what was being said, (or not said)

I really felt that i was being excluded and that Gransnet was simply an extension of Mumsnet. I have never been on that site, and i didnt join this one to be affiliated either.

There are standard internet abbreviations, which anybody who uses the internet a lot would know, such as OMG, LOL, BBS IMO and ROFL, but when it comes to MIL, SIL, DGC (who calls their grandchild that when talking about them) and DH DD DS just make me want to puke. Those are easy enough to suss out but then you have the YKWIM and and few others which to be honest i havent taken note of, and i refuse to remember, and certainkly wont be using myself, because it is these exclusive abbreviations, which imply that if you dont understand then you will be excluded from the in crowd. No matter how much people protest they dont mean to exclude im sorry but YOU DO, and it comes over with an air of superiority that i find offensive.

Notsogrand Mon 16-May-11 13:00:42

Oh dear. Perhaps we need a 'lack of tolerance' emoticon wink

I'd be surprised if anyone was setting out to be deliberately offensive or confrontational. I accept that people can feel offended, but that's down to their own perceptions and sensibilities....surely?

Pandemonia Mon 16-May-11 13:08:33

Do people realise that the initial "D" is used ironically? Because actually, I'd want someone to pass the sick bucket if I started referring to my partner, in all seriousness, as DP.

But the use of initials isn't exclusive - unless you want to exclude yourself of course since I realise that some people positively enjoy a misplaced sense of being left out of things.

lucyjordan Mon 16-May-11 13:37:09

DPRTTIDIUI?

No i see it used more with sarcasm rather than irony, and if you dont view a person (regardless of who that person is) as a Darling why say it?

**But the use of initials isn't exclusive - unless you want to exclude yourself of course since I realise that some people positively enjoy a misplaced sense of being left out of things.**

And of course you are only too willing to compund that feeling within those who might be feeling just a little unsure and nervous, about joining a new site, and dont feel they can speak up for themselves. How objectionable of those of us who feel we can speak up, and disagree with those who obviously feel they are superior and somehow more worthy. It only goes to further demonstrate just how much of a 'my gang' mentality, some peopl on here have, and most adults grew out of long ago.

Joan Mon 16-May-11 13:48:38

Well, I'm not good with acronyms, so I probably misunderstand some posts and I'm sure I write things that make little sense to others. I guess we'll all muddle through.

absentgrana Mon 16-May-11 15:38:36

This all seems to be something of a storm in a molehill and a mountain in a teacup. I am not at all familiar with the abbreviations that people are using as I have never chatted on forums (forums I think, Swedenana, as fora would be just too pedantic) and don't text either, but they're not difficult to work out. Most of them seem to relate to husbands, partners, grandsons/daughters/children, in-laws, etc. – all people we're chatting about in the first place, so fairly obvious. If I can't make an educated guess, then I shall ask whoever posted the message to explain to me – and I can't believe that anyone I have encountered so far would be rude enough to refuse. Maybe I should have chosen dinosaurgran as my user name.

granmouse Mon 16-May-11 16:00:36

I was born in 1944 and I like the initials,hate the swearing,use text speak in texts but never elsewhere,celebrate the English language in all its idiosyncracies and am hoping for fun and openmindedness on this forum.I do find the swearing on mn a bit much sometimes but hey...each to her own,if some women want to use the slang words for love-making or body parts as expletives then that is ok-it's not for me though and I would strongly object if my adult dc used words like that in my presence.

Swedenana Tue 17-May-11 10:11:40

Can I please make one small plea here? Let's not allow differing opinions and views to become battlegrounds that stop us all enjoying this new site. We're all rational adults, entitled to express our point of view, and lively discussions are stimulating. However, sometimes it's the way we express those views that causes upset, things can quickly get out of hand and it just becomes a slanging match. I doubt, (and would certainly hope), that there's any intention to be confrontational, rude or just plain nasty. Perhaps I'm naive, but I believe that unless I can say something in a positive way then it's better not to get involved. If I have something critical to add, I try to think very carefully about how I word my reply. It would be such a shame if this site lost it's inclusive and accessible friendliness

By all means, be a little controversial, mischeivous, quirky, funny, irreverent, shocking - these things can keep the discussion boards alive and fun places to be. Please, most of all, make it a welcoming, supportive place where we can all share the joys and trials of this wonderful phase of our lives.

greenmossgiel Mon 06-Jun-11 21:24:30

Please can somebody help me out with the abbreviations and initials that keep cropping up? I'm sometimes not able to pick the meanings of the posts properly. confused

tjspompa Mon 06-Jun-11 22:31:53

I am very disappointed with this thread, until now I have never seen any bad language on Gransnet, it seems standards have slipped.

grannyactivist Mon 06-Jun-11 22:50:59

Helpful comments swedenana. smile

baggythecrust! Tue 07-Jun-11 06:34:30

Wellies aren't slang! Good grief! I thought EVERYONE knew they are waterproof boots. Gosh, guys! Just, gosh! Someone will be saying gran is slang next.

helshea Tue 07-Jun-11 07:00:46

Wow... I think we need a calm after the storm!

baggythecrust! Tue 07-Jun-11 08:04:50

greenmossgiel, here's a few:
DH means Dear Husband, DD dear daughter, GS grandson, and so on. OH is other half. Ones like these are the most common. There are some I don't understand too.
AIBU = am I being unresonable?
YABU = you are being unreasonable

Have fun!
baggy

baggythecrust! Tue 07-Jun-11 08:15:07

Aw! don't go, pompa!

greenmossgiel Tue 07-Jun-11 09:40:00

Thanks baggythecrust- I'll just struggle along, and hope for the best! wink

baggythecrust! Tue 07-Jun-11 10:04:30

Diva, you're fine! It is sad but true that some people take offence very easily. My dad used to say "it is more wrong to take offence where it is not intended than to give it". I haven't found anything you've posted offensive. Forthright, yes. Offensive, no. smile