Gransnet forums

AIBU

to suggest children watch TV inappropriately

(4 Posts)
Harrypotterfan Sun 22-May-11 08:49:07

My children only watch childrens channels I dint let them watch adult daytime tv or soaps though I'd like to for my own sake. I'm sick of cartoons!
We are out a lot only really watch for an hour in the morning while I'm showering, getting school gear ready and sometimes an hour after school but we have swimming and ballet and play dates so that's certainly not every night.
We do have film nights some weekends where I make a big bowl if popcorn and we all snuggle on the sofa and watch something a bit more grown up such as the narnia or Harry potter films. But we are there to explain any thing they are worried about and so far no nightmares. It's really helped their imagination. A few weeks ago my daughter made a spell and potions book. I thought that was great. They are 5.6 and 3.6yrs old

I agree daytime tv or big bro isn't suitable for young or even older primary kids. YANBU

harrigran Fri 20-May-11 14:52:54

My goodness what an example of how to behave ..Big Brother ! My Grandchildren only have TV in small doses, in the case of the 5 year old as a treat having earned the stickers to exchange for TV time.

maxgran Fri 20-May-11 14:45:27

I wasn't best pleased when my granddaughter who is 7 was telling about who she did and did not like on Big Brother,... I think that program is totally unsuitable for children. My daughter reckons I am 'out of touch' ??

grannyactivist Fri 20-May-11 13:38:09

I think parents often permit, and sometimes encourage, their children to watch inappropriate TV programmes. Many topics on daytime TV, whilst geared to adults (think Jeremy Kyle), are totally unsuitable for the toddler playing with toys in the corner or the 8 year old home from school through illness etc. In the evenings I know very few parents who actively police the 9pm watershed (TV's in bedrooms make it impossible anyway). What do others think?