Gransnet forums

AIBU

To come here instead of mumsnet!

(27 Posts)
Harrypotterfan Sun 22-May-11 23:18:49

I'm a mum not a gran but I may stay here if you don't mind.

There are a lot of breast feeding threads today that are not nice at all. Apparently you are not allowed to have an opinion if you say anything against breast feeding. I'm not bothered what people do and have not commented but the nastiness that some are coming out with saddens me.

Rude and spiteful I worry about society today I really do!

harrigran Mon 23-May-11 00:03:23

I worry for the women having their children now, so much pressure to do the right thing, but what if it is not right for you ?
Stay here Harrypotterfan and feel comfortable with us grannies smile

senua Mon 23-May-11 09:18:22

You are not the only non-gran here.
Perhaps we should start a campaign to be re-named GrownUpsNet.grin

MrsJamJam Mon 23-May-11 10:54:39

Well said senua. I'm very pleased and proud to be a grandma but I do sometimes feel uncomfortable at being defined exclusively by that role. Or maybe I mean by some to the stereotypes that seem to be associated with the name.

Much prefer to be known as a grown-up, although since I retired from my very demanding career I'm having an extended late adolescence and enjoying it far more than the first time around. wink

supernana Mon 23-May-11 11:04:20

Harrypotterfan...please stay with us...I loathe the all too frequent use of spiteful/rude comments on some forums - a type of bullying, methinks. I am nearly 70 and LOVE Gransnet for it's wealth of members who are supportive, compassionate, well-informed and wonderfully witty. smile

gangy5 Mon 23-May-11 11:29:11

Yes - I do hope that we can remain relatively sensible on here!! I will be called an 'old stick in the mud' but I do think some threads on Mumsnet get out of hand. I definitely think there are some who are tyring to keep threads going as long as possible with alot of crap and nonsense. These ones should be nipped in the bud by the 'powers that be'

LullyDully Mon 23-May-11 12:48:01

was wondering if to join mumsnet. My husband and I look after our children-grand, that is-fulltime. It is v hard work. We are over 60 but have fallen in to it with a good grace and are having fun despite being v tired. Should I join mum's net too? What a dilemma?

glassortwo Mon 23-May-11 13:01:11

Yes go on, some of the threads can be very informative, some very funny, there is a good mix over there, I bob back and forward between the two, but beware it can be addictive Lully so be warned!!

absentgrana Mon 23-May-11 15:17:27

Oh Harrypotterfan what a shame about mumsnet. Never mind, you'll find that we tend to be pretty tolerant of most opinions about most things, so feel free to join us. However, I would say that I despise the breast-feeding police, even though I often think that breast-feeding was the only bit of motherhood that I a) found easy and b) got right. Of course, most of us are well past any dilemma concerning this subject, so the b-f police are unlikely to follow you here. Welcome.

elsnana Mon 23-May-11 15:50:57

Hi LullyDully, yeah join it, i have, as i also look after my grandchildren, i find it helpful when i dont know what to do with my grandson as they post all the local childrens clubs etc and mums & tots in your area.

Magsie Mon 23-May-11 16:43:54

I look on Mumsnet to read the complaints about grandparents! Then I try not to do the things they complain of. I've read about overindulgent grandparents, interfering grandparents and those who think they have a right to see their grandchildren regularly. It is interesting to see problems from the other side!!

Notsogrand Mon 23-May-11 16:49:40

I like Mumsnet, some of the threads really appeal to my sense of humour!

pinkprincess Mon 23-May-11 17:55:58

Hello LullyDully, I am on mumsnet tho I post under a differant name.I am in a similair position to you as I have my two youngest grandchildren living with me with their parents.I have shared in the care of all five.
I am in my sixties, and my DH who is in his seventies is disabled with heart disease likes to join in but he can only do so much of course.
It is tiring but I do it as I am proud to be a grandmother.It is getting easier now as the two young ones are 10 and 8 and are becoming more independant but when they were babies I found it quite tiring.
Some threads on Mumsnet are very informative about the modern methods of childcare.There are lads of other subjects as well.

Harrypotterfan Mon 23-May-11 19:52:54

Thanks ladies. I find it much kinder on here and it's useful to see things from a gp point of view I have both sets very much involved in my Dcs and it's good to be reminded of thier possible point of views. smile

I like mumsnet for the primary ed section but the Aibu section can be awful!

Pandemonia Wed 25-May-11 20:16:44

I love AIBU on Mumsnet but it isn't for the faint-hearted. Although nobody, in fairness, pretends otherwise. But right now, I'm keeping a foot in both camps.

glassortwo Wed 25-May-11 20:24:18

Dont you just shrink a bit on those AIBU threads when you read some of the posts , it seems as though they are expecting to be flamed, I sometimes think some of the posters just use it for sport.

Pandemonia Wed 25-May-11 20:27:21

Oh yes, I do shrink at some of them. But I'm fairly selective about where I contribute to AIBU because there's a fearsome predictability about certain topics!

glassortwo Wed 25-May-11 20:55:46

I try too keep my head down and just loiter about on there wink

Hattie64 Fri 27-May-11 20:50:42

I think I shall pop over and have a look, after reading all the comments on here!!! I have to admit, being a fan of forums, but rarely finding any I enjoy, it seems very pleasant on here. I do occasionally go on the Saga Forum, but there are some quite unpleasant men, with their forceful opinions on there.

Whybird Sat 28-May-11 20:48:33

Harrypotterfan and all the lovely Grandmothers on here, I feel the same as Harrypotterfan, I was looking at this site, thinking of recommending it to my Mum and I discovered that I agree with many of your opinions and you all have that little bit more decorum and respect when posting comments!

I don't have Mum, or my inlaws living at all close to me, so it'd be quite nice to hang around here sometimes! If you'll have me!

Leticia Sun 29-May-11 11:12:42

I posted on here yesterday-I don't know what happened to it!

I am not a grandmother either but sometimes think that I am too old for mumsnet! Despite breastfeeding 3 children, I keep off the breastfeeding threads-who could guess it gets so contentious?

I think that I prefer it on here. Many on mumsnet are over possessive and over protective, they think they can tell their child not only how to act but what to think. Having had the long view I know that this is utterly impossible and that you can look at a toddler and have absolutely no idea what they will be like as a teenager or young adult-there are many surprises!

I wouldn't worry about comments about grandparents, Magsie. I always think that people should swap! For every comment on over involved grandparents you get one saying I 'I wish mine were, they never take an interest'.

I do find AIBU over there very funny-but would never start one!

supernana Sun 29-May-11 11:31:15

Whybird ...you are totally welcome to join us and have your say...you sound lovely smile

supernana Sun 29-May-11 11:41:01

Harrypotterfan...welcome to you too. There is absolutely no need for any one of us to subject ourselves or others to intimidation...we are all doing our best to make the best of our lot in this world. I find it comforting to come to Gransnet and find a welcome, a listening ear and hopefully, from time to time, sound advice from someone who cares to share their experience with me. Happy bank holiday wine

hennothefirst Sun 29-May-11 11:52:52

Harrypotterfan, welcome! I have a grandson by my eldest, but I also have a 10yo child, so I belong to both groups. Like someone else above, I found bf very easy and non-problematic and all my 3 weaned themselves before 1yo. But, I'd switch off from all the rules and regulations there are now. It was bad enough 30 yrs ago. Now, it's insane.

Stansgran Sun 29-May-11 14:12:51

don't know what aIBU means but as I look after two of my gc I like to see what is going on in mumsnet. Some one mentioned to me about autism in their gc as something that wasn't recognised when we were children and I read up the mumsnet links-I came away with tears for all these poor young mums for what they are going through. They seem to have to have a label for a child or the parents don't want a label.It was painful reading.