Gransnet forums

AIBU

Elb syndrom

(8 Posts)
CarolynR Mon 23-May-11 13:44:15

My new granddaughter has nerve damage due to a difficult birth we are waiting for the swelling to go down to see what movement she has in her arm has anyone out there got experience in this

jackyann Mon 23-May-11 17:35:14

I think that you might mean "Erb's" palsy or syndrome.

Contact a Family know a lot about all sorts of syndromes & conditions:
http://www.cafamily.org.uk

CarolynR Mon 23-May-11 21:12:17

Thanks yes I spelt it wrong I just need to do something

pancakegrandma Tue 24-May-11 20:57:41

Hi Carolyn R,
my daughter was diagnosed with erb's palsy when she was born, difficult birth which damaged nerves. She is now 31 and although never regained full use it really hasn't hindered her. There is now an erb's palsy website and support group, that has loads of info. The treatment has changed drastically since may daughter was born. Don't know how to post this as a link but here's the web address.
http://www.erbspalsyonline.com/

crimson Wed 25-May-11 17:50:05

Keep us informed of her progress please, CarolynR.

CarolynR Sat 04-Jun-11 10:42:07

Annabel is now getting physio we will know more when she is 3 months
My daughter has joined the Erbs palsy support group who are lovely and they have supplied us with loads of information
I had no idea this condition existed if any of you think you may have a large baby please consider a c section I know it's not the most preferable way to give birth but this would avoid a life time with a handicap
Annabel is such a pretty little thing I am sure she will over come her problems and we are all ready to help and encourage her

crimson Sat 04-Jun-11 11:13:17

And you've got the support of everyone here as well. Looking to the future, I wonder if stem cell research will help people with nerve damage of this kind? It's amazing what they are achieving already. And she's got so much love and support form her family.

SheenaF Thu 16-Jun-11 21:02:22

My daughter was born with this and in a very few weeks was fine and has had no lasting effect. She was quite large at birth - 9.5lbs - and this was thought to be the cause. I was briefly instructed in a few simple moves to help her, and that was it.