Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gransnet logo

(14 Posts)
johanna Sun 05-Jun-11 19:15:35

Gransnet logo reminds me very much of a " certain movement " in a "certain country " in Europe in the late nineteenthirties!!!!!
Please change it.
Johanna.

greenmossgiel Wed 01-Jun-11 18:28:49

I've had another look at the logo, and decide that I really quite like it! My Grandma was tiny, but my goodness, she could be a tartar!! I think she'd have liked the logo too - it IS inspiring and I think we've all 'fought' to get to carry the banner in some ways, over the years.

HildaW Wed 01-Jun-11 11:59:08

OMG Baggy....he is a bit of a tinker....we will have to watch this one! wink

tjspompa Wed 01-Jun-11 07:02:12

ROFL, guess I got off lightly there. smile

baggythecrust! Wed 01-Jun-11 06:54:24

wink

am I allowed to tell pompa to bugger off for that? Tongue in cheek, obviously. Cheeky blighter.

tjspompa Tue 31-May-11 22:18:47

Baggy, you have hit the nail on the head "what splendid, vigorous women!", where are the Granddads !!!!!!

It was banners like this that got women the vote, and we all know what a disaster that was.

Tjspompa, quickly retires to bed before he gets mobbed. !!

baggythecrust! Tue 31-May-11 15:45:56

jackyann, I like the logo too. It didn't make me think of trades unions; I just thought "what splendid, vigorous women!" Good images don't date and I don't think this one dated. Even if it is, so what, when the women represented are so inspiring? This is not to say I mightn't like a different one too. ;-)

nanafrancis, I knit too and have done since I was four-and-a-half. I don't suppose I knitted very well for a good while, but I learned the basics. It's a useful as well as artistic skill.

jackyann Tue 31-May-11 15:31:15

Thank you, absentgrana, and yes, I have always been clumsy - just now even more so (!) and I went white in my 30s, so maybe I'm cheating a bit? LOL!

absentgrana Tue 31-May-11 15:28:24

Oh jackyann I don't think anyone meant to put you down. Loving cooking and crafts cannot be anything but good and there are probably many of us who would love to be creative in those ways. It's hardly your fault that you're no longer quite so steady on your feet. I've always been unbelievably clumsy on mine, even when young. White hair comes to all with time – it certainly looks pretty good on Helen Mirren. I still work, although I should like to give it up as soon as I can. I don't do sport – known as sprot in my household – I have never done keep fit and have no intention of starting at my age, although I used to love to dance and still swim as frequently as I can find time – ponderous lady's breaststroke in solemn straight lines up and down the pool. If elasticated trousers are comfy, what the hell? Hey – we're all modern grans in the sense that it is now and now is when we are grans. I still don't like the gransnet logo – but I do like your comparison with trades unions' banners and your positive picture.

jackyann Tue 31-May-11 15:13:14

The logo reminds me of the Trades Union banners and Labour Party posters that were still around when I was young. I like them, they seem to represent solidarity & moving forwards.
To me this logo symbolises the hope of a new generation, the work of the mother & the support of the grandmother. I find it positive & uplifting, recognising the way generations unite around the care of babies. It seems both to care for the baby, yet turn out to the wider world ( was this the intention?)

Can I please add that if we are to support each other in the important task of being grandparents that we are inclusive? Modern, trendy grans who go to keep-fit, hold down jobs and do sport with their grandchildren are great - you have my support (if you want it).
But please don't denigrate those of us with white hair, who wear elastic waisted trousers with relief, who love cooking & crafts, and are not as steady on our feet as we once were! I still have a contribution to make, even if I make it a bit more slowly than some of you!

nanafrancis Tue 31-May-11 13:24:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crimson Tue 31-May-11 12:41:29

My first thought on seeing it was that it was very 'Rodchenko'ish' and I found it rather inspiring. As if I wasn't alone in any problems I might face going forward. Would have been a bit upset at seeing someone knitting...[no offence to knitters, by the way!].

absentgrana Tue 31-May-11 12:21:39

Hi Twobabes I think we've all already been there under some other heading and the general opinion is that it looks like something from the Land Army in World War II or some sort of Stalinist exhortation for we women to contribute more to the great Soviet society. Since lots of us weren't even born in World War II and lots of those who were would still have been children and that the great Soviet experiment has come undone, a rethink might be in order. The logo, incidentally, arrived from on high and was not democratically chosen. Are there any graphic designers out there?

Twobabes Tue 31-May-11 00:57:51

Am wondering what made you choose your logo - am I the only G-netter who finds it odd, does not understand its relevance and doesn't think it either striking or attractive?
Apart from that, I love the site. Thank you!