Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being unreasonable to strangle my wife !!!!

(35 Posts)
tjspompa Tue 31-May-11 20:16:05

Am I being unreasonable to strangle my wife !!!! We have visited 4 towns, travelled 200 ish miles, just to get a wedding outfit. I am knackered. ( and poorer)

tjspompa Thu 02-Jun-11 16:54:14

WOOT !!!!!! Just one town centre and we got everything, bag, shoes, lipstick, nail stuff -- now we just have to get Mrs. TJ's stuff !!.

Even Mrs. TJ said she did not want to see another shop. !!

Coincidence -- we met another of the wedding guests shopping for the wedding, and they live 40 miles away !.

harrigran Thu 02-Jun-11 12:14:39

Joan the weather will allow you to wear a dress and sandals, understated, elegant. In England, even in the summer, we can't be certain of the weather.

tjspompa Thu 02-Jun-11 09:09:50

Here we go again, Mrs. TJ needs a matching handbag, off to town again later. Surely a handbag can't be hard to find, can it????.

baggythecrust! Thu 02-Jun-11 06:47:03

Joan, you don't have to do all that. You just have to dress nicely and look happy. I've never worn make-up in my life and, if anyone has ever noticed and said anything disparaging, which I doubt, it has never got back to me, so it obviously doesn't metter. Weddings do not have to be scary because of what other people might think! I thought they were just a celebration. So ..... create your own style and celebrate. I hope you have a lovely carefree time!

tjspompa Thu 02-Jun-11 06:00:22

Joan, don't worry (yet!), you have ages to go. Our Son only gave us 9 weeks notice, so it's been a rush, still got to get measured for my outfit (morning suit etc.).

I think our Daughters newish son has made them realise that time is passing by if they want children, hence after being together for 11 years, marriage is imminent.

Was supposed to be a small affair, growing exponentially, I think MOTB has invited the whole village. Was going to be informal, now it's a catholic church, full morning dress etc. Hey ho, time to exercise the bank account.

I'm looking forward to it really, I'm sure it will be a wonderful day.

Joan Thu 02-Jun-11 03:29:24

You've all scared me. My eldest lad gets married in December - in a church. Oh dear, I'll have to scrub up well and wear a posh frock, get my hair done and wear make up.

I'm extremely bad at buying clothes, which usually doesn't matter as I live in the sub tropics where shorts, Tshirts, and sandals are all you need.

Oh, the worry, the nightmare, the dread...............

harrigran Wed 01-Jun-11 22:38:17

JessM, I was deadly serious.

tjspompa Wed 01-Jun-11 22:15:11

BC, you are a brave lady, I think that incident may have made me hang up my car keys for good. Just got done for speeding, that upset me enough. (36 in a 30 zone) going on a drive aware course next week.

baggythecrust! Wed 01-Jun-11 22:06:46

Doris, I'm grinning at your comment. wink

baggythecrust! Wed 01-Jun-11 22:05:50

I can empathise with Mrs TJ. I do still drive but not if it's at all icy or snowy, which it was for several weeks last winter, because the winter before one wheel hit ice and the car somersaulted over a sea wall. No-one hurt, thankfully, but I'm still nervous if there's white stuff about.

tjspompa Wed 01-Jun-11 21:48:50

Mrs. TJ does genuinely value my opinion, I guess she knows I will be honest, I also ask her opinion when I buy new clothes (circa 1980 I think !). Apart from which and enjoy doing most things together.
I'd love her to drive, she used to, but after an incident, she is now too nervous to drive any-more despite professional help.

milkflake Wed 01-Jun-11 20:10:43

Why did you go????
No way would I take my OH shopping for an outfit.
buy her driving lessons!!

Doris Wed 01-Jun-11 19:47:28

baggythecrust -
I love you!!!! My sentiments exactly AND I've said the same thing.grin

tjspompa Wed 01-Jun-11 19:19:43

LOL, I only started this thread as a joke, seems to have uncovered some hidden feelings.

I don't mind taking Mrs TJ shopping (she doesn't drive, and as we live in the sticks, that's essential) and I'm sure she really values my opinion on fashion ROFL !!!!

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 01-Jun-11 18:22:12

Why on earth are you going with her?!

JessM Wed 01-Jun-11 16:25:20

harrigran! were you serious? If i go shopping with a female friend or relative I would not be expecting hidden appearance-competition agendas or having them. Aren't we too old, wise and supportive for that kind of thing?

HildaW Wed 01-Jun-11 15:37:53

Aw Supernana...........he is definately a keeper!

supernana Wed 01-Jun-11 14:02:58

My husband is a marvel methinks. If I ever need a special outfit [granted not that often] he is happy for us to travel from Kyntire to Glasgow [ 7 hour round journey by road ] - and then we'll go to as many outlets as I need to. He takes his crosswords, finds a seat and awaits my apperance from the dressing room. He doesn't need to voice an opinion...his eyes and smile say it all! smile

harrigran Wed 01-Jun-11 12:37:20

I would not take another female shopping with me, they have a vested interest in ensuring you are not as smart as them. My husband actually has very good taste and never looks at the price tags.

Magsie Wed 01-Jun-11 12:03:59

No, my husband's taste tends to bright florals so I know we wouldn't agree. I'd probably take a female friend or go on my own.

baggythecrust! Wed 01-Jun-11 11:43:55

Wouldn't DREAM of taking a husband EVER! Nor would I dream of asking his opinion. He either has to like it or lump it. He once made a face at something I was wearing and I said, coolly: "I don't like your clothes either." End of. I guess I'm lucky to be confident in my own taste. It really does make life easier. You don't have to be fashionable either; just wear what you like. smile

HildaW Wed 01-Jun-11 10:26:48

Doris..with you on that one.....they have their uses..driving cars and carrying stuff buying lunch (I am being a tad ironic here) but we have this.....'see you outside so and sos in a given amount of time' arrangement which works well. Most decent shops will put something by for you to pop back if you need a second opinion.

I used to work in a very smart shop and it could be an absolute nightmare when partners played an active part in the choice - trying to be diplomatic to both! Sometimes a husband could be really quite insensititive and I've even seen the odd downright nasty! (We had a gentlemen's dept and yes...I have seen the odd husband look quite crestfallen when a wife rejected out of hand their choice).

Doris Wed 01-Jun-11 10:10:18

Personally? - If it was me, I wouldn't even take my husband in the first place grin

harrigran Tue 31-May-11 22:04:01

Only 200ish miles tjspompa ! My husband would travel to the ends of the earth to keep me happy and ensure that I get the outfit I want/need. When I was looking for an outfit for the palace he was so supportive grin

tjspompa Tue 31-May-11 20:55:07

Because if men can't find what they want in 2 minutes, they will give up !!