Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to create a little quiet corner?

(2006 Posts)
Notsogrand Wed 08-Jun-11 13:53:42

I thought I'd make just a little quiet place to sit and sing 'la la la' inside my head.
It's a special place where no-body gets hold of the wrong end of the stick and no-body feels insulted or marginalised.
La la la........
smile

numberplease Sun 20-Nov-11 16:33:04

Brilliant news Pompa!

nanachrissy Sun 20-Nov-11 17:26:55

I'm sure that wherever Jingle is, she'll be keeping them amused! grin

Butternut Sun 20-Nov-11 17:33:19

I've found myself wondering where jingle is, too.

Butternut Sun 20-Nov-11 17:36:12

...........and jingle, take care. x

supernana Mon 21-Nov-11 12:54:20

As we sat in bed this morning - sipping tea, my husband assured me he can multi-task; when I'm talking to him, he can listen to me with his eyes closed. Mmmm!

JessM Mon 21-Nov-11 15:28:56

I used to have a boss once who used to say things like "There's a lot going on - but I can't tell anyone what they are" Totally infuriating trait. I'm with ga if you have to keep a secret then, well, its a secret isn't it.
Not nice to be asked though. I once had a situation where 2 close family members lumbered me with BIG SECRETS - I was not allowed to unburden my feelings about these to anyone, which was very difficult and unpleasant.
Keeping big secrets from family members is really, a big burden to bear and should not I think be lightly requested.

Annobel Mon 21-Nov-11 16:15:13

I was asked to keep a secret by one sister. The other, when it eventually became public knowledge, gave me merry hell for not telling her! She cannot keep a secret herself, but that's no reason why I shouldn't.

jingl Mon 21-Nov-11 23:48:25

"I'm sure that wherever Jingle is, she'll be keeping them amused"

nanachrissy! shock

You thought I was entertaining the troops in the other place, didn't you?!!! shock

And I DON'T mean Mumsnet! shock

Notsogrand Mon 21-Nov-11 23:55:46

The House of Lords jingl?

supernana Tue 22-Nov-11 15:00:09

jingle love and missed you to bits. Bet you've been lighting up someone's life...it's a you-thing! grin As for Mumsnet - they CAN'T have you. You're definitely one of us...thanks

jingl Tue 22-Nov-11 15:08:58

Got it in one Notso.

Pants on fire.

granto7 Tue 22-Nov-11 15:13:59

hello Jingl no ee you have b n miss d smile

jingl Tue 22-Nov-11 15:27:20

Thank you Granto7.

I think. wink

mickey Wed 23-Nov-11 11:37:23

About secrets-my brother asked me to lend him a good few thousands-I did as his house would have been reposessed.Actually it would'nt as his growm kids still lived there and would have helped. But he swore me to secrecy- as it would upset his wife who was a good friend. They both died this year. I never got a penny back but thats not the point. He'd never talk about and I feel bad about unfinished business. NEVER keep secrets-they only lead to trouble or regrets.

supernana Wed 23-Nov-11 11:59:51

Just thought that I would update my GN pals as to the state of play regarding our search for a wee plot. We thought that we had found "just the patch" and my husband got very excited and drew up plans for an ideal wee home. However, we've been informed that the plot is also home to the dreaded Japanese Knotweed. This invasive weed is notifiable. When treated, there is a ban on building on the ground for 3 YEARS thereafter. End of that story. The second wee plot also came with "strings" - because our village is ancient, new legislation dictates that, from hereon, all plots need to undergo an archaeological survey, which would be costly. If a buriel site is uncovered, the finding would certainly put pay to our hopes. A third plot is surrounded by ancient trees. The trees can only stay if the ground remains untouched. Felling them, would upset us, and possibly some members of the community, and again, would prove to be too costly for our budget. Never say die wink

GoldenGran Wed 23-Nov-11 12:04:26

Bad luck supernana but keep on looking, it all comes of living in such a lovely place.Does Japanese Knotweed grow every where or are you just unlucky?

supernana Wed 23-Nov-11 12:11:36

GoldenGran I cannot answer you question. May google it!

bagitha Wed 23-Nov-11 12:13:33

Oh dear! But the ban on disturbing ground that has has Japanese knotweed on it is sound. It is truly vicious stuff and would grow through house foundations if it had not been properly killed. Good luck in your search. xx

bagitha Wed 23-Nov-11 12:15:14

J. Knotweed does grow all over the west of Scotland. We have been trying to kill the stuff in our garden for five years now. We're subduing it but still have a long way to go. It grows all around the lochs here. Also a problem in west Wales and Cornwall. It likes a wet climate.

supernana Wed 23-Nov-11 12:33:46

bagitha Isn't it sad that something so pretty is also so much of a pest? We had problems with it in Cornwall. At that time it grew along the banks of a brook, some distance away from the derelict hay-loft that we converted.

Elegran Wed 23-Nov-11 12:53:15

Also all over the east of Scotland. It is a pest, the least scrap of stem left behind or floating away downstream will take root and regrow.

crimson Wed 23-Nov-11 13:36:34

Problems with rhodedendron, ragwort and buddleia [sp?] I believe. There's a sunflower growing quite happlily in the middle of someone's drive by where I work. Eggplant that ate Chicago like.

crimson Wed 23-Nov-11 13:37:11

..thinking of lots of 1960's 'B' movies now....

crimson Wed 23-Nov-11 13:38:34

..Day of the Lobelia; War of the Forget Me Nots, Brave New Clematis...

Gamma Thu 24-Nov-11 01:30:20

Here is a poem written by my wonderful friend friend before the birth of hr grandchild 4 years ago. Enjoy! smile

Looking at Life

Come away with me...
the moon is calling our names,
we can hide in its shadows,
hearing its tales of mystery.

The stars sing of tomorrow...
shining highlights in your hair,
and fill your eyes with twinkles.

The rivers are there just for us...
to dabble with our cold toes,
and listen to their music.

The trees will whisper to us...
of dragons and knights of old,
shadows will play on our skin.

People will see us and wonder...
what are our secrets and smiles,
what do we know that they don't?

And we'll laugh and smile and cry...
the beauty and magic,
we see in our own wide world.

What are the questions we'll ask...
finding your space in this place,
making your path in our lives?

Come away with me...
let me join you in your search,
let me find myself anew.

----Royce Holladay, April, 2008

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion