Gransnet forums

AIBU

Face book

(30 Posts)
Annika Wed 22-Jun-11 23:40:41

Is there anyone out there on facebook , I am and it is something I said i would never be on, but to my surprise I have found my way on there and I know it gets a lot of bad press, but I have found a few old friends I had lost touch with, I am able to chat to my daughter who lives any from me and have a little giggle at some of the things that are posted on there.
The long and the short of it is that as long as you are careful what you put on there it can be fun

yogagran Thu 23-Jun-11 22:16:52

I use Facebook although I used to think it was a waste of time! I use it to keep in touch with family here and abroad, we share photos etc. If you use it sensibly it can be great fun and instant news. Just think how our parents and grandparents kept in touch with relatives abroad, I can even remember having to book a time to call Canada and it cost a fortune.
I keep my "friends" to a small circle and don't look on the number of "friends" as a competition to see who has the most. My friends are just what it says, not vague acquaintances that have no real interest in what I'm up to.

Annika Thu 23-Jun-11 21:07:08

I play the games on there and I suppose I must be sad but I have been known to play farmville !

Totrirulody Thu 23-Jun-11 20:26:29

I can't keep up with all the forum (Fora?)! YesI am on FB and I get the most up to date news from it. With their camera phones myDs can now send instant photos. Today was the photos of the shoes of one of my Grandson....he used them to brake on his bike! His mother wasn't best pleased, as the shoes are ruined This is the sort of thing she would forget to tell me when we have our chat on the phone (I live in France), yet it makes me feel very close to the GCs to know those little titbits that makes a daily life. Yes check your privacy settings and whom you allow to visit your FB. smile

mollie Thu 23-Jun-11 19:33:28

I'm on Facebook too but only to play scrabble! I've limited my 'friends' to just a handful of people to make life less boggling so probably don't really use it to it's full capacity...

nannym Thu 23-Jun-11 19:06:46

I love the Mindscape games, and also play Scrabble with my sister who lives about 200 miles from me, so it's a lovely way of keeping in touch.Dordor I'd love to try Wordscraper - can we sort it out?

nanapug Thu 23-Jun-11 18:51:14

At last I have found some people who enjoy fb, as I do. I get so fed up with people who say it is rubbish and a waste of time as if it is something beneath them. I think it's a bit like Big Brother, Soaps and Marmite, you either love it or hate it. I so enjoy keeping up to date with family and friends. Does any one play the Mindjolt games on FB? I find they are very relaxing and also helps keep the old grey matter ticking over!!

Annika Thu 23-Jun-11 18:45:33

Have just clicked the like button on the Gransnet on FB so now I can keep up to date with things on here.
Like janthea I have set my privacy controls to friends only.

supernana Thu 23-Jun-11 17:46:56

I'm on Facebook. Have regular contact with family...get to share all the latest photos and gossip. Even got to nose around granddaughter's latest flat, in London, and view the garden the very moment she and her partner moved in. The cooker was exceedingly clean, which pleased me a lot! Have a few selected friends on Facebook, too. As I live in a remote area of Scotland, FB is the perfect site for keeping in touch. Also enormous fun to be able to bore my friends silly with latest photos of the newest grandson...and, in turn, I get to ooh and ahh over their grandchildren. grin

maxgran Thu 23-Jun-11 16:40:05

I get to know what my children are up to on there ! They say stuff on there they wouldn't usually tell me - most of it funny !
I also post them messages on there when I can't get hold of them because they check in there often - so its a handy way to get hold of them.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Jun-11 16:26:46

Hope you're following @gransnet on Twitter grin

janthea Thu 23-Jun-11 15:58:58

I love Twitter too. You get the feeling that you are having a gossip! Such fun!

annie19 Thu 23-Jun-11 15:00:08

I love FB - and Twitter too!

janthea Thu 23-Jun-11 14:03:33

I'm on Facebook. I set my privacy controls to 'friends only' That way I know only the people I want to see anything can see anything (if you know what I mean!) confused

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Jun-11 11:28:41

Pompa - the problem may be that some accounts need to be reset in order to show updates from everyone rather than just the people you interact with the most.

If you scroll down to the bottom of your newsfeed you will see 'edit options' on the right. Click on that and then just change the top option (show posts from) to 'All friends and pages'. .

pompa Thu 23-Jun-11 11:25:35

Ok found problem, Gransnet was on my "hide" list

Dordor Thu 23-Jun-11 11:17:17

I'm on FAcebook too, but under another name. I play Wordscraper (with my cousin in Canada (she can't access Scrabble) as well as keeping up with friends and family. I've found old (and now we're retired I mean old(!)) friends on there.

Anyone like a game of Wordscraper? I'ts very like Scrabble but without the annoying pings and flashes.

pompa Thu 23-Jun-11 11:11:41

??? I only see a "like" button next to individual posts, I have clicked a few of them. I'm sure i used to get Gransnet messages, but they seem to have stopped.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Jun-11 11:05:58

Hello Pompa - if you go to the page you will see a grey 'Like' button next to the page title - simply click that and you're in. After that whatever we post will appear in your newsfeed

pompa Thu 23-Jun-11 11:02:57

OK, I've found Granset on facebook, but how do I join it/get messages from them. I have trouble getting my head around how facebook works.

Notsogrand Thu 23-Jun-11 10:34:30

I enjoy Facebook for the 'keeping in touch' aspects already mentioned.
I also enjoy Twitter and follow Gransnet there. Lots of Gransnet tweets point you in the direction of really interesting articles/programmes etc.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Jun-11 09:23:24

And of course another good thing about Facebook is that you can find us on there too! https://www.facebook.com/gransnet

Don't forget to tell your FB friends too smile

Grumpyoldwoman Thu 23-Jun-11 09:02:57

I too love FB. I keep in touch with some (selected) of my ex pupils, have got back in touch with a few people from the past and have a great laugh with my 3 daughters ...especially if we are all watching the same TV programme. grin
Due to my husbands illness I hardly ever go out so I find FB invaluable as a contact with others ..it keeps me sane.
Make sure your profile account is https which is more secure than just http.
My husband ''lurks'' on my FB so I have to watch what I say if I am feeling abit 'fed up' wink

pompa Thu 23-Jun-11 08:57:18

We use Facebook to keep up with the news from friends & family. Whenever we phone our Son and ask "any news" he always says "No nothing much" , find out much more from his Facebook page.

Gally Thu 23-Jun-11 08:53:07

Much to Mr G's horror, I too use Facebook so I can keep up with photos of my grandchildren and also see what my 3 daughters are up to although that's about all I use it for - technology not being top of my 'can-do' list!

Magsie Thu 23-Jun-11 08:45:34

I love Facebook too. I retired last year and find it a great way to keep in touch with old colleagues- just commenting on their posts occasionally lets them know that I am thinking of them.
Sometimes, it's the only way that I know what relatives are doing. If I can't get in touch, I look on Facebook and find that they have taken the children out for the day.