Gransnet forums

AIBU

To complain about impenetrable packaging

(47 Posts)
Elegran Wed 06-Jul-11 12:06:41

I am about to fire off a complaint to Lipsyl. I've used their lip salve for ages and always found it hard work to open, but now that my fingers are arthritic, it completely defeats me.

First, it is displayed in rigid plastic on a cardboard backing, with a dotted line behind it that is supposed to break open under pressure. It doesn't. It takes kitchen scissors or determined tearing with strong fingers.

Then it is tightly wrapped in strong polythene, (with an ingredients list in a minute font, of course) There is another dotted line round the edge of the cap, with the instruction "twist". When I was younger, I could twist opposite ways with both hands and eventually make it open, after getting Chinese burns on my fingers. Now I can twist for 10 minutes, getting Chinese burns, painful fingers and aching wrists and the plastic is still firmly whole.

Handing it to DH does the trick, but even he is finding it harder to do, and he will not always be around.

A lot of their customers must have as much difficulty as me, or more!

There! I shall just copy most of this post and email it to them. Thanks for listening while I aired my opinion.

Oxon70 Mon 08-Aug-11 10:55:50

iSlice sounds useful...... but do you realise they've done it again?
Create a situation, don't change it, just sell people something else to deal with it!

Baggy Sat 06-Aug-11 18:51:04

A hacksaw might be easier.

Nanban Sat 06-Aug-11 17:14:07

Pills and potions - completely impossible for someone poorly! Those bottles that you have to virtually stand on to push down and then twist to get off - never gonna happen - although I'm completely sure any child would have sussed it out in a second. Here you are grannie, I've opened it for you!

glammanana Sat 06-Aug-11 16:25:06

Amber I am so agree with you about companies not writing back to you,in June this year I wrote to Avon to complain about the facewash that I bought
from them,it really burnt my skin and i wrote and asked for a refund,I am
still waiting for it and the woman I wrote to has ignored all my e-mails and
letters and she is the Costomer Service manager,so Ann Coglan if you are
a member of GN or MN shame on your company for your poor service.

goldengirl Sat 06-Aug-11 12:40:18

I bought the Daily Telegraph today and inside was a polythene wrapper containing the magazines. I battled with that and inside THAT was ANOTHER polythene wrapper containing a magazine and a wodge of advertising material which I popped deftly into the recycling bin. What a waste of resources, but I do like the DT on a Saturday even though I should be doing other things.

Baggy Fri 05-Aug-11 21:21:02

Well, I would have thought chucking things in the soup was quite a good way of managing anger. wink

helshea Fri 05-Aug-11 20:27:56

No baggy what I need is to stop buying stuff in packaging that is going to cause me serious mental anguish. On the other hand what I probably need is a session of "anger management" wink

Baggy Fri 05-Aug-11 20:20:57

helshea, you need one of these 'touch knives':
http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/General_Haberdashery.html#a8408

helshea Fri 05-Aug-11 20:09:31

The worst things to open are those things that are packed in plastic that seem to be sealed all the way round and you try and try to cut through it but it is rock hard and you can't .. I bought some new earphones today and ended up throwing them across the kitchen into a pan of soup!

nanachrissy Fri 05-Aug-11 19:18:07

Put rubber gloves on to open difficult jars or bottles, you get a much better grip!smile

goldengirl Fri 05-Aug-11 16:25:16

I've just had to get an extra baby wipe out of the packet - and a whole clod of them came out at once! In mid nappy change this is not funny! I have to battle to get at my medication too, but at least there is the safety element involved although having to hack at the little strip with red arrows with a blade doesn't exactly meet H & S requirements angry

Zephrine Fri 05-Aug-11 11:31:05

Aaarggghhhh!!!!! I've just got a new C.D. and I can't get in to it. There's not even enough room to slide a knife under the wrapping!! angrywith steam coming out of my ears

numberplease Sun 31-Jul-11 21:51:44

Today I opened a tub of Jennies ice cream. When I say "opened", I should mention that I had to hack and saw with a sharp knife, coming dangerously close to stabbing myself a few times! It took me 15 minutes to get into the tub, but on the lid it says "break seal and lift lid", not mentioning that you need a bloomin` tool kit and brute strength as well!

Oxon70 Sat 30-Jul-11 18:51:29

Why do so many packages need one to be able to use both fingers and thumbs together to pull them apart??
I recently wrote and complained when I bought a new tinopener - the kind that does it all without you needing to twist - because of broken wrist. I ended up having to lean on the package with my right elbow and pull the packaging with a pair of pliers with the other hand.
This tinopener said on the packet that it was for people with limited hand mobility.
They did answer and told me they would have a meeting about it, but I don't know if it changed.

Elegran Sun 24-Jul-11 12:48:02

Update on Lypsyl correspondence -

They replied that they have relaunched a new wonderful all-singing all-dancing Lypsyl range with an added SPF factor to protect against UVA and UVB rays and a new range of flavours {yum yum] and "As part of this relaunch we have been monitoring the performance of the perforation on the plastic cover and hope that it will suit the majority of our customers"

They enclosed a couple of samples of the new flavours, which smell delicious. Trouble is, it is quite impossible to get at them to try them. The perforation continues to perform as a deterrent.

I assume that the majority of their customers are young and strong, with powerful fingers that can break into the plastic with one deft light twist. Those who can't have given up and bought a different brand - and anyway they are just old biddies, no need to worry about losing their custom.

supernana Sat 23-Jul-11 13:55:32

Developed huge blister due to endless walks with grandson. Whilst out, purchased box of plasters. Sat on bench and pulled, bit, and tore at film-like packaging until I was reduced to tears. Baby giggled! Without scissors, there was no way to extract the plaster. Foot beeding badly on return to flat. Language inside my head was, by this time, very PURPLE!

harrigran Fri 08-Jul-11 19:17:12

I have the same problem with peppers hellypelly, I buy the long red ones because they are sweeter but one is invariably bruised and goes very soft. Worst offenders are the dearest, M&S. Cucumbers are ridiculous, you never see that tight plastic in the French supermarkets.

yogagran Fri 08-Jul-11 13:23:58

Why are cucumbers wrapped in such a difficult to remove plastic sleeve, in fact, why are cucumbers wrapped at all?

twizzle Fri 08-Jul-11 08:38:42

hellypelly have you ever thought of growing your own peppers?

hellypelly Fri 08-Jul-11 08:35:14

I've unwrapped and checked over two-packs of peppers several times now in our supermarket because I once bought a pack and didn't find till I got home that one of the peppers had gone over. I leave all the unwrapped ones that I don't want behind, still unwrapped.
What makes it worse is that the organic ones are the most over-wrapped. Is it to save them from contamination by their hoi polloi nieghbours?

pompa Fri 08-Jul-11 07:10:40

Agree totally about packaging that is designed to be bomb proof. I find a lot of DIY items are packed in vacuum formed blister packs that are sealed around the edges, you need your tool box to cut through it.
In supermarkets, if I consider packaging to be excessive and unnecessary, I leave it on the check out, it won't make them change, but makes me feel better about it. I do the same with junk leaflets etc. that fill magazines.

sylvia2036 Thu 07-Jul-11 18:25:07

I ordered two mascaras online from John Lewis (they were the only store that had the colours that I wanted and I didn't want to drive to my local store just for these small items) and they arrived yesterday when I was out. The postman left a note saying the parcel was too big to go through the letterbox and I would have to collect it, which I did today. Remember I ordered 2 mascaras - and they arrived in a box that measured 8" x 6" x 6". I reckon that I could have got at least 100 mascaras in that box. I've emailed John Lewis complaining about the over-packaging.

Annobel Thu 07-Jul-11 17:15:41

Two cheers for Revlon: their lip primer, though encased in plastic (hence only two cheers), had a gap at the back and perforations so that the panel could easily be torn down. Why don't others follow suit?

Mamanana Thu 07-Jul-11 12:55:18

thanks for the islice tip - getting one next yime I go to Lakeland - my favourite shop for gadgets. I just can't walk past the door. And they are online if there isn't a branch near you

Amber Thu 07-Jul-11 10:47:50

I bought a tub of cottage cheese from Morrisons, when I tried to open the lid there was a sneaky piece of foil underneath, I cut the ball of my thumb really deep, if that had been a child they would have needed stitches (my skin being so tough), I did write and complain to Morrisons but they never bothered to reply, so I don't buy it from them any more, if we all threaten to move our custom if these manufacturers don't listen to us maybe we could be a force to be reckoned with!