Gransnet forums

AIBU

To complain about impenetrable packaging

(46 Posts)
Elegran Wed 06-Jul-11 12:06:41

I am about to fire off a complaint to Lipsyl. I've used their lip salve for ages and always found it hard work to open, but now that my fingers are arthritic, it completely defeats me.

First, it is displayed in rigid plastic on a cardboard backing, with a dotted line behind it that is supposed to break open under pressure. It doesn't. It takes kitchen scissors or determined tearing with strong fingers.

Then it is tightly wrapped in strong polythene, (with an ingredients list in a minute font, of course) There is another dotted line round the edge of the cap, with the instruction "twist". When I was younger, I could twist opposite ways with both hands and eventually make it open, after getting Chinese burns on my fingers. Now I can twist for 10 minutes, getting Chinese burns, painful fingers and aching wrists and the plastic is still firmly whole.

Handing it to DH does the trick, but even he is finding it harder to do, and he will not always be around.

A lot of their customers must have as much difficulty as me, or more!

There! I shall just copy most of this post and email it to them. Thanks for listening while I aired my opinion.

baggythecrust! Wed 06-Jul-11 12:46:13

Go it, elegran! I sympathise entirely. There is a tip for helping with twist tops that I have found very useful: wrap elastic bands around the parts (or at least one of them). That gives you a much better grip.

GillieB Wed 06-Jul-11 12:58:08

Elegran, I have got good hands and fingers and I still have trouble with things like this. You have mentioned my particular bugbear - writing so tiny that it can't be read. These days, even when things come with instruction leaflets, they are usually written in ten or so different languages (to save money, of course) and consequently the print is so small that it is less than useless.

Annika Wed 06-Jul-11 13:51:05

Sissors... you buy them all packed up so that no one can run amock in a shop only to find that when you get home with them you need sissors to open the pack, now if you had sissors to open the pack would you have brought sissors in the first place .
I am now going to lie down in a darkened room all that thinking has brought on one of my "heads" confused

Elegran Wed 06-Jul-11 14:48:42

baggytc - tried the elastic bands, but the thing is so small they did not make any difference. I've written the letter, can't email them as their website does not show an email address.

GillieB - I had good hands and fingers until a few years back. Then a few knuckles stiffened up one at a time and now since starting Femara it has spread over a few months to all knuckles and wrists and my thumb joints clunk painfully in the mornings. GP says Femara speeds up osteoporosis but not arthritis. I hae me doots.

Annika - so many things are sealed up so you can't get at them!

supernana Wed 06-Jul-11 15:03:22

Packaging from hell, I call it! Worst I can remember was a sandwich packed by M&S. 30 minute lunch break - attempted to open said packet - broke two nails - split corner of lip, bit end of tongue and was a cheap source of entertainment for passers-by. By the way, I failed to gain access to the contents until I stabbed the cellophane with a ruler...by which time, I was past caring! On a serious note...if there is a straightforward way to open anything wrapped, packed or stacked...with or without instructions, I have yet to master it.

greenmossgiel Wed 06-Jul-11 15:06:56

Lakeland do a great little tool! It connects to the edge of a sealed jar lid and when lifted (like a bottle opener) releases the vacuum, and the lid opens easily. Very inexpensive, too! smile

greenmossgiel Wed 06-Jul-11 15:28:00

I've just remembered the name of the little tool! It's called a 'Jar Key'. grin

numberplease Wed 06-Jul-11 16:19:00

One of my pet bugbears is the packaging that comes with children`s toys. All the kiddie wants is to get at the new toy and play, but you need half a flippin` tool chest to get at the toy, which incidentally, would have fitted into a box half the size!

susiecb Wed 06-Jul-11 17:13:09

Oh yes to all this!!! I cant get into packaging so I take a kitchen knife stab myself and cause cuts which bleed for days!!!

Elegran Wed 06-Jul-11 17:19:34

Betterwear have a thing for opening those rigid plastic coffins that they hang up small toys and electronic bits in. It is like a miniature Stanley knife in a protected cover. You pierce the packaging, then slide it along. Works well if you can remember where you put it away last time.

Instead of complaining to each other, how about we all email or write to these firms whenever we have to fight their packaging? They should have contact details somewhere on their product. I have posted my complaint about Lypsyl. Now its your turn.

hellypelly Wed 06-Jul-11 17:37:02

I've got one of those. There's a new type that has a ceramic blade, doesnt cut skin but will do paper and plastic. I'll look up where to get them.

twizzle Wed 06-Jul-11 17:41:43

That sounds like a really good invention.
Do you know what it's called hellypelly?

hellypelly Wed 06-Jul-11 18:01:24

twizzle, found tge catalogue. It's called iSlice and I got mine from essentialsbypost. Hope you find one. Now I need to find where I put mine!

twizzle Wed 06-Jul-11 18:09:39

Thanks, will check out their website.

nanaval Wed 06-Jul-11 18:58:10

To release the vacuum on a sealed jar I find a sharp tap on a hard surface does the trick.

twizzle Wed 06-Jul-11 19:08:29

Elegran Lypsyl is owned by the Lornamead Group.

You can email them at:
[email protected]

Elegran Wed 06-Jul-11 22:22:31

Thanks Twizzle. The packaging says Novartis Consumer Health, so I have written to them. If I get no reply I shall try Lornamead Group

yogagran Wed 06-Jul-11 22:29:03

Lakeland also sell the iSlice for £3.99. It is magnetic so I can keep mine on the fridge door. They also sell Jar Grippers which are a thin circular rubber pad to help opening jars and bottles

Barrow Thu 07-Jul-11 10:06:16

The worst packaging I can remember were some b.b.q tools. Apart from the rigid plastic coffin the tools were also covered in a cellaphane shrink wrap which it was impossible to remove, even by tearing it off in small pieces!! I ended up throwing them away as I just couldn't get at them. I would have taken them back but bought them whilst on holiday and didn't think it was worth a 3 hour drive to return them!!!

baggythecrust! Thu 07-Jul-11 10:08:58

I think I'd have been tempted to melt it off on the barbecue!

Amber Thu 07-Jul-11 10:47:50

I bought a tub of cottage cheese from Morrisons, when I tried to open the lid there was a sneaky piece of foil underneath, I cut the ball of my thumb really deep, if that had been a child they would have needed stitches (my skin being so tough), I did write and complain to Morrisons but they never bothered to reply, so I don't buy it from them any more, if we all threaten to move our custom if these manufacturers don't listen to us maybe we could be a force to be reckoned with!

Mamanana Thu 07-Jul-11 12:55:18

thanks for the islice tip - getting one next yime I go to Lakeland - my favourite shop for gadgets. I just can't walk past the door. And they are online if there isn't a branch near you

Annobel Thu 07-Jul-11 17:15:41

Two cheers for Revlon: their lip primer, though encased in plastic (hence only two cheers), had a gap at the back and perforations so that the panel could easily be torn down. Why don't others follow suit?

sylvia2036 Thu 07-Jul-11 18:25:07

I ordered two mascaras online from John Lewis (they were the only store that had the colours that I wanted and I didn't want to drive to my local store just for these small items) and they arrived yesterday when I was out. The postman left a note saying the parcel was too big to go through the letterbox and I would have to collect it, which I did today. Remember I ordered 2 mascaras - and they arrived in a box that measured 8" x 6" x 6". I reckon that I could have got at least 100 mascaras in that box. I've emailed John Lewis complaining about the over-packaging.