Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hijacking threads on gransnet

(114 Posts)
em Fri 08-Jul-11 15:15:09

AIBU to feel that a few people are hijacking certain threads and using them as a soapbox, not just to express opinions (which is what we are all about) but to lecture and hector others ad nauseam and to the extent that we are losing well-respected and popular posters? 'Methinks the lady doth protest too much' and by so doing is alienating those of us who do agree with the basic premise but are turned off by the aggressive tone!

lane70 Thu 14-Jul-11 12:00:12

I too think PM'ing can quickly lead to a climate of bullying and bitchery.

Some forums manage to control this better than others. I'm thinking in particular of a very large and successful forum, which I sometimes use, which does allow PM'ing but keeps a close eye on the threads and has a clear and well-enforced policy on disagreements which turn personal.

Keeping a close eye on things needs more staff, of course, either paid or unpaid. Also needs the forum-owners to be willing to take action.

Baggy Thu 14-Jul-11 12:14:38

I'd like to make it clear, for everyone's sake, that it wasn't anything carbon said that sent me into a tizzy (about which I'm embarassed blush). It was another poster who, so far as I can tell, has now vamoosed. Let's move on. I think we have all agreed that we can disagree with each other, sometimes strongly, without being nasty about it.

I think private messaging does have a useful place on GN. There is no need (nor wish on my part) to use it for bitching.

There is one small favour I would ask of those who have different views from mine about climate change, which is that you forgo use of the phrase "climate change denier". That is insulting, especially as, again so far as I'm aware, no-one denies that climate change happens; the disagreement is about the causes.

JessM Thu 14-Jul-11 12:15:58

I guess Jangly, otherwise there is another forum next door with plenty of scope for the other stuff wink. Doesn't mean "always serious" in my book though.

janthea Thu 14-Jul-11 12:20:20

JessM I don't back away from discussions, heated or not, but I do find that discussions relating to politics and religion can cause bitter discussions so I avoid these on forums. I'm happy to have those sorts of discussions with people face to face because people don't get so personal or nasty. Forums seem to take away any inhibitions and people say things in them that they wouldn't in person.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 12:45:40

Message deleted by Gransnet.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 12:46:16

Geraldine (or Josi)!! Delete needed. sorry.

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 12:59:50

Suggestion to everyone (not aimed at anyone in particular !!!)

If you are very cross at a post, DO NOT post a reply at once. Compose one in anger, certainly, on Word or Notepad or similar. Then go away and have a cup of coffee and cool down. Come back and reread your red-hot reply in cold blood, edit it suitably, and then post it. Saves a lot of wear and tear.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 13:00:13

I'm going to take my book, some sandwiches and an apple into the garden and play camps. smile

twizzle Thu 14-Jul-11 13:08:00

Wise words Elegran

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 13:12:29

That is the trouble with emails and the internet. Your first thoughts can be winging their way to someone before you have time to reconsider. When things were written down on paper you could reread it and throw it in the bin and start again.

janthea Thu 14-Jul-11 13:26:51

Elegran I've had experience of emails causing problems. We have had a huge family 'bust-up' caused by things said in emails. Consequently half the family don't speak to the other half. Very sad.

harrigran Thu 14-Jul-11 14:08:09

Glad to hear the good news Faye. My friend's daughter is ok but she has special needs and other serious health problems, she is 10 now and has had all her operations for now.

JessM Thu 14-Jul-11 14:11:14

What is it that you want Jangly?

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 14:39:45

I don't want anything Jess, except to make it clear that I am not going to Mumsnet instead of here, (as per your comment).

Not until I'm banned anyway.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 15:11:22

I've been wondering why the word "denier" looks so strange. Its to do with tights isn't it.

don't mind me, just thinking aloud.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 15:31:44

I wasn't actually asking for that post to be deleted. I was just joking cos I knew it would be.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 15:34:35

See Jess, I suppose it gets my back up when someone starts telling other people what is good for them, as if they know more than other people do. We are not pathetic ninnies on here. I reckon we are all reasonably intelligent.

I am sure other people appreciate your concern though.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 15:35:39

I'm going back in the garden now. There is sunshine out there!

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 16:22:31

jangly - I suppose a 60 denier climate change denier would have stronger opinions than a 30 denier denier? A wispy 10 denier denier would hardly be a denier at all, more of not-quite-persuaded-er?

Who takes care of the caretaker's daughter while the caretaker's busy taking care?

Just babbling.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 16:31:06

From a website: "Once you're over the 60 denier you're into the opaque stocking. Opaque stockings can be warm and comfortable and look stunning worn with the right clothing"

Sounds like Baggy. grin

Baggy Thu 14-Jul-11 16:37:30

grin

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 16:40:11

Going off on another tangent - we received a missive from our binmen to say that we were to put certain things for recycling into the enclosed opaque plastic bag. They enclosed a clear plastic bag.

Reminds me of when I was very young (wartime) and I noticed that some people had hair that always curled naturally and others had to get a permanent wave, which did not last very long. For years I believed that permanent meant temporary and temporary meant permanent.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 16:46:31

grin TBH I still can't always remember whether opaque glass means clear or bathroom type.

Some things just are not easy.

Baggy Thu 14-Jul-11 16:47:09

Did anyone else notice that some of us have been uninvited — as in told to keep away with our 60-denier frights — to a thread on fuel poverty? Someone mentioned cliquiness. Hmm. Yes, I know it was a joke. That kind of joke. wink

Sorry, couldn't resist! The pointedness of the un invitation was just asking for a wind up. grin

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 16:48:58

Baggy - if I've got something to say I shall say it.

And I know you will!! grin