Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hijacking threads on gransnet

(114 Posts)
em Fri 08-Jul-11 15:15:09

AIBU to feel that a few people are hijacking certain threads and using them as a soapbox, not just to express opinions (which is what we are all about) but to lecture and hector others ad nauseam and to the extent that we are losing well-respected and popular posters? 'Methinks the lady doth protest too much' and by so doing is alienating those of us who do agree with the basic premise but are turned off by the aggressive tone!

jangly Mon 18-Jul-11 21:21:28

I've noticed that councils aren't cutting the verges and roadside banks so much these day. Cats ear can look gorgeous on a bank in the country. But that's not in your garden.

jangly Mon 18-Jul-11 21:22:25

Baggy, we've got a strimmer.

jangly Mon 18-Jul-11 21:23:23

And I'm scared enough of that. I'd probably cut me leg off with a scythe.

JessM Tue 19-Jul-11 12:04:30

I have just done my online tax return! And due to my feeble earnings the IR owes me £600 . Feels like one of the labours of hercules, understanding what the terminology means. Still i always think it is a minor triumph if i can find the logons and a major one when finished.
Got took out to Brasserie Blanc last night. Glad it was not us that were paying as what I had was not great. Apart from the apricot souffle which was.

Baggy Tue 19-Jul-11 13:13:03

But strimmers are so noisy! And they use petrol or electricity. You only need muscles to use a scythe (which we all have) so it's much more environmentally friendly from the noise pollution point of view wink. Actually you can scythe perfectly safely in bare feet because, by virtue of the handle and how you hold the scythe, the blade never comes anywhere near your legs or feet. Scything also kicks up less hay fever causing dust which is a consideration for me.

Baggy Tue 19-Jul-11 13:16:22

PS I like it that councils are cutting verges less. It allows the wild flowers to grow and proliferate. They already do that in my garden so scything the cat's ear before it seeds is just a limitation exercise, especially as they appear to be perennials anyway, unlike the orange hawkweed which I do allow to set seed.

crimson Tue 19-Jul-11 14:13:24

Our first race meeting of the winter is always at Bangor on Dee [we drive there singing 'didn't we have a loverly time the day we went to Bangor tiddly pom']. On the way there is a small area next the road where someone must have scattered wild flower seed, because it's strewn with wild flowers and looks absolutely beautiful. I wish roadsides everwhere could be as gorgeous.

crimson Tue 19-Jul-11 14:18:04

..it's quite close to one of those brown signs that denote 'places of interest'. This 'place of interest says 'Secret Bunker'. I always stop singing for a minute to say 'well, it's not very secret any more, now, is it?'. I say it on the way back, too. I'm very boring and predictable....

supernana Thu 21-Jul-11 20:30:04

crimson...you are such fun...grin

Stansgran Thu 21-Jul-11 23:58:34

I've been on my hols for a week and missed all the excitement-

carboncareful Sun 24-Jul-11 16:45:35

Been on hols too, this thread is getting out of hand I think - hijacking gone mad!
Norfolk beautiful as ever and seething with rampant Hollyhocks. Worth going just to see the Hollyhocks (so many colours from almost black to delicate pale pastels) and also the Marsh Harriers at Blakeney and Cley reed beds.

artygran Sun 24-Jul-11 19:39:25

You have made me holiday sick for North Norfolk - we haven't been for a few years now and I've missed it - used to stay at Salthouse and we spent hours in the marshes watching avocets, little egrets, harriers and reed warblers. There's a wonderful deli in Cley. I have a watercolour of Blakeney at low tide over my mantlepiece - I'll have to make do with that until we get there again!

jangly Sun 24-Jul-11 19:59:50

That lovely childrens' novel "When Marnie was There" is set in Cley isn't it?! We read it when my girls were little and it started us on holidays there. Lovely beaches. Can be a bit cold being on the North Sea though.