Gransnet forums

AIBU

....to create a "virtual camper van " hop aboard everyone !

(155 Posts)
bikergran Tue 12-Jul-11 22:04:19

well!! we have a virtual shed lol..sooooooooo I thought how about a "Virtual Camper van" maybe one of the origanal VW fitted out with kitchen/loo and showr etc....awning of course...or we could have one of the super duper modern versions!..........We could set off on tour, travelling around the coastline and sneak inland for supplies now and then,maybe cut across country..(have to take turns washing up) smile
ermmm sorry menfolk! women only! shock havnt got a date or loctaion for setting off yet..and plan to be away some time.so don't wait up lol lol smile

crimson Tue 12-Jul-11 22:09:47

Whahay...lets go to Cornwall and be surfer dudes for a week or so. I'll get the Beach Boys cd's....[no scrumpy, though..I overdid it one night 40 years ago and haven't been the same since].

Notsogrand Tue 12-Jul-11 22:13:15

Perfect! I'm packing already. I'm happy to wash up and scrub out the chemical loo, but I wont be able to change the Calor Gas bottles...too scary.

Can we take Scrabble?

numberplease Tue 12-Jul-11 22:13:25

And find time to visit beautiful Kintyre, on the lovely West coast of Scotland. A few distilleries to visit for those who like their whisky, and some lovely off shore islands for seekers of peace and beauty.

bikergran Tue 12-Jul-11 22:14:48

welcome aboard crimson not sure how many we can squeeze in..but im sure we will all be " very good friends " by the time we arrive home...ermmm must post pics of where we visit! smile ...need to find a central meeting point..need a couple of drivers..don't worry if you havn't a licence or never had driving lessons ! youll will pick it up as we go along, theres only 3 pedals to press.. lol lol..confused

bikergran Tue 12-Jul-11 22:19:14

wow! oh gosh 4 allready..whoooohoooooo.....hmm distilleries sounds good...slurpp. I am an ex caravaner & camper ..so ok with changing gas bottle lol..now then..the idea of lots of pink thongs hanging on the washing line may just draw attention to us! so maybe paper knickers may be in order, grin

crimson Tue 12-Jul-11 22:27:57

......this is gransnet; it has to be bloomers.....[which can be used for so many other things in an emergency....waving at trains etc]

Notsogrand Tue 12-Jul-11 22:32:58

My Sloggis are of sufficient dimensions to be useful in a variety of situations.

em Tue 12-Jul-11 22:35:24

Please include my neck of the woods in your itinerary. I'll show you round and hitch a lift for the rest of the way if that's ok. I'll find my own way home some time in the future! If anyone wants to include some exercise then bring your golf clubs! Happy to provide washing machine etc to deals with basic practicalities - big bloomers can be a damp nuisance when strung up in a van!

Grumpyoldwoman Tue 12-Jul-11 23:10:37

Ex Caravaner stayed on certified locations..so pretty ok with living ''rough''.
Like driving and cooking and don't mind washing up....and desperately need a break...so as sooon as I can arrange a ''Hubby sitter'' I'll be hopping on board.
Don't mind going 'commando'' under jeans ...so save on the pants drying everywhere.
When our eldest was a baby we used to wash her nappies in a bucket in the middle of a field when 'caravanning'' ( and had a 'toilet tent')
Love to see as much of the coast as possible please xx

harrigran Tue 12-Jul-11 23:15:12

What a great idea, iv'e never been in a camper van, what an adventure. Count me in grin

Faye Wed 13-Jul-11 02:21:09

Ex camper vanner here too, having travelled all around Britain I am sure I would still know the way and am very ready to go on another adventure. Maybe you could swing on by and pick me up. At the moment you will find me in the country in Victoria where I am visiting my youngest daughter. From the window I can see the neighbour's vineyards, it is a cold miserable day though and I could do with some sun. Normally I do live in the beautiful Adelaide Hills. More vineyards, cherry and apple trees grow there too. Lots of beautiful Rosellas and noisy cockatoos, sometimes you see kangaroos hopping by and koalas in the gum trees. There are a huge choice of restaurants and wineries and even a gold mine or two, we could have a look around before we head off. I can't wait to get back to Britain and enjoy the rest of the summer there. Count me in too! smile

helshea Wed 13-Jul-11 06:51:50

I have camper van envy.. have always wanted a VW when I retire, but unfortunately the camper van fund keeps getting broken into.. got about twenty pound at the moment, so not looking good.

susiecb Wed 13-Jul-11 07:45:39

Me too I want to come I love camper vans - Scotland or Cornwall would be good for me- can we find good loos on the way though plsesmile

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 08:21:24

Is there room for me! I'm a born again camper, my husband had a VW camper for years with his first wife but no longer has it. We are taking the Grandchildren camping in the New Forest in ten days time. I have to confess it is glamping, in that the tent is already up but it is a proper camp site. Can I make a cake for the adventure, Scotland would be lovely!grin

Annobel Wed 13-Jul-11 08:36:39

Where are we going? I second Scotland, but will have to drop out at the beginning of August when I'm joining the family in their caravan in Provence. I'll donate some nice smoked salmon to kick off our trip.

Annobel Wed 13-Jul-11 08:39:39

PS I don't mind driving - have towed a touring van in the past - but you might not like it...

glammanana Wed 13-Jul-11 08:50:26

Hey can we stop off in Newquay and have a light liquid refreshment at The
Sailors Arms we spent many a happy day and night there in the early 70s
I wonder if they still sell bottles of Steam? My DH and I had a blue VW camper
and travelled to France and Costas many times,we used to spend all the six weeks school holiday away with the DC when they where small,DH used to save all his holidays so we could do this,so sad when we had to say good-bye
to our van when we had to both take jobs that didn't fit in with the school
holidays.

Annobel Wed 13-Jul-11 08:51:59

PPS. It occurs to me that this has the makings if a movie. Sort of Thelma and Louise meets Summer Holiday. Do you think we could conscript Cliff?

janreb Wed 13-Jul-11 08:52:39

Count me in - I'm a driver too.
Come to Cornwall - I can show you some out of the way spots. Are dogs allowed? I have a mad Collie who loves to travel.
Anyone remember the "drip dry" dresses we used to wear? That would solve much of the washing problems, just rinse it through and hang it out of the window to dry - would dry quickly along a motorway!!!

Annobel Wed 13-Jul-11 08:56:12

Stink or swim? We need to keep near the sea!

glammanana Wed 13-Jul-11 08:58:30

janreb,I remember "drip dry" dresses,but do you think maybe cheesecloth
maxi dresses and floppy sun hats would look cool

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 09:09:22

Ohglammanana it sound s so cool, but the combination on me,as I'm short and round, is not really a good look. Can my cheesecloth dress be cut off just below the knee. I will bring my over sized sun glasses too.I do vaguely remember drip dry dresses, what were they made of.I used to love my cheesecloth and shirts, but I also remember the moths loved them! grin

Littlelegs Wed 13-Jul-11 09:09:45

Count me in too. We will have to remember the big sunglasses, to go with the dresses and the hats. Went camping in a tent for many years so a camper van would be pure luxury wine

Grumpyoldwoman Wed 13-Jul-11 09:10:02

glammanana......you have reminded me of all the lovely ''Indian'' dresses, skirts and tops I used to wear when the kids were little. You could pick me up in the 'Borders' on your way through Scotland. Quite fancy the 'Oz' trip ....but an awful long way to drive !!!!
Just won on Eurolottery so will pay for some fuel ......not sure how far £6.40 will get us though !!!!!