Gransnet forums

AIBU

....to create a "virtual camper van " hop aboard everyone !

(156 Posts)
bikergran Tue 12-Jul-11 22:04:19

well!! we have a virtual shed lol..sooooooooo I thought how about a "Virtual Camper van" maybe one of the origanal VW fitted out with kitchen/loo and showr etc....awning of course...or we could have one of the super duper modern versions!..........We could set off on tour, travelling around the coastline and sneak inland for supplies now and then,maybe cut across country..(have to take turns washing up) smile
ermmm sorry menfolk! women only! shock havnt got a date or loctaion for setting off yet..and plan to be away some time.so don't wait up lol lol smile

Baggy Wed 13-Jul-11 09:13:53

Oh! Just noticed the smoked salmon! Can I come too! I do a mean salmon submarine — baguette filled with smoked salmon, cream cheese, fresh parsley. Got the flowing skirts ... somewhere.

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 09:16:58

Am I allowed to bring a little fizz for the end of the first day of our inaugural trip?smile

glammanana Wed 13-Jul-11 09:19:29

Goldengran,we can get you some cheesecloth harlem pants with the elasticated bottoms and you can push them up to your knee's wear with a cheesecloth smock top,what a fashionista you will be,can i borrow your sun-glasses and I'll let you borrow my long straw shoulder bag with butterfly
picture's on the side.

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 09:27:59

Fabulous, thanks for the great ideas glammanana. It really has to be a VW Camper with a split windscreen now! grin

janreb Wed 13-Jul-11 10:41:56

Not sure what the drip dry dresses were made of but I really like the cheescloth and maxi skirts idea. Oh and must have the crochet shawl for evenings, mine had beads on the ends of the tassles. And the crochet floppy hat made out of dishcloth cotton.
Fancy the Oz trip too - all my relatives out there so we could nip in for showers on the way through.
Have just seen a 30yr old (at least) camper van for sale round the corner from me - a real VW one. They want £10,000 for it!!!!! Good job this is a virtual trip!
I am loving this thread.

Notsogrand Wed 13-Jul-11 11:23:33

To go with all the cheesecloth and floaty fashions, I think I remember how to make a macrame hanging basket to hold a trailing plant. We could hang one from the awning?

GillieB Wed 13-Jul-11 12:52:59

Please can I come, too; but I would rather have a Winniebego (showers and toilet included) - and we could pull a car on the back too, so we could leave our accommodation in the middle of nowhere and drive to a nice pub!

We used to have a touring caravan and had some fantastic holidays in France (and, nearer to home, in a tiny caravan site at Byrness near Kielder Water).

Oh, and yes, I remember the cheesecloth dresses and skirts - used to love them.

janthea Wed 13-Jul-11 12:58:46

I remember lovely long Laura Ashley dresses in flowerly prints. May I wear one of those of our trip, together with a big, floppy straw hat! I could make egg and cress sandwiches for the trip! grin

Annika Wed 13-Jul-11 13:50:50

Great, never been a camper van. I'm off to pack as soon as I have written this. What about a vist to the Wye Valley its so pretty there this time of year its so peaceful there.
Just a thought I don't want to put a damper on things but we had better bring our wellies ( have heard this summer is not going to be up to much).
I have found 60p down the back of the sofa so we can put that to Grumpyoldwoman's £6.40. that brings the total to a staggering amount of £7, now we must'nt spend it all at once, perhaps buy some food to cook on an open fire when we stop to make camp for the night.grin

janetstollery Wed 13-Jul-11 15:39:41

The drip dry dresses were made of either Courtelle or Crimpylene - called polyester now of course!

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 16:24:14

A Winniebego would be great, more room. It is one of the grand plans, of DH and I to go up the west coast of America in a winniebego. Not sure when it will happen but it is one of our dreams. Have found five pence in the washing machine,so I'll throw that into the kitty. (I haven't got a cat,I mean for our trip).grin

Notsogrand Wed 13-Jul-11 16:26:22

My 'going away suit' in 1965 was powder blue Crimplene. I thought I was the bees knees. smile

I've got a few Tesco saver stamps to add to the holiday fund.

bikergran Wed 13-Jul-11 16:34:40

Ohhhhhhhh my "goodness" so many wanting "Shirley Valentine" moments lol!!!! lol...ohh wow!! don't know about you lot!! but I keep thinking it's real and Im going away on hols with all thes mad women lol..lol.....
heck!!! Im going to have to get more supplies in...shock
going commando sounds brill! yes whooohooooo....gosh im really excited..how many tins of baked beans can fit in a camper van! think we going to to have to get trailer hmmm yes will ask around..smile

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 16:37:19

bikergran are all these baked beans so many of us in a relatively small spacewink

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 16:40:12

missing words from above," a good idea" blush

bikergran Wed 13-Jul-11 16:52:45

Goldengran did I not mention we are travelling by wind power alone!...lol we will blow the socks off any unwanted male attention smile

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 16:58:03

bikergran, we may blow the roof off too!grin

bikergran Wed 13-Jul-11 17:03:05

Now then we havn't got a date for setting off yet as we need to pack up etc and of course anyone that is leaving a person or persons in the house.!! you MUST!!! LEAVE them with the remote control...don't any of you even dare think of taking it with you!! grin

bikergran Wed 13-Jul-11 17:06:27

Sorry I keep slipping away...just changed the wheel and checked the spare..topped up the washer bottle and dipped the oil..heard the machanic say to his mate "shes in very good shape"!!!! (not sure if he ment Moir or the camper) hmm

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 17:13:31

It must ave been the van, that's what gets a mechanic excited-machinery.Where are we going and when? Am packing thermals and a swimsuit.smile

GoldenGran Wed 13-Jul-11 17:17:13

I haven't gone all cockney, I meant have.

bikergran Wed 13-Jul-11 17:58:09

lol...awwwwwww drat lol....thought it may have been me!! you could have given me some! hope GoldenGran lol.
Not sure departure date depends on others...if they have commitments to fill lol...and where hmmmmmmmm well apparently a place called..DUNNYSOP BRIDGE is the middle of the UK...! or i could start from my Home town Oswaldtwistle in Lancashire and we could have pick up points?? I think I may need a co- pilot and navigator? any offers? criteria is "you must be of sound mind"..must be able to speak several langauges as we will be visiting many foreign parts..Wales/scotland/England etc not sure if we will make Ireland as yet! also we will need a Games organiser you know..Hi Di Hi and all that milarky... early rise..star jumps etc..quick dip in the pools ..perk us up in the mornings ready for the days events..
Now then I am off out on my bike..so I think I shall leave GoldenGran in charge as she seems to be the last poster...ta ta for now.

numberplease Wed 13-Jul-11 18:17:29

I`m easy, I can go anytime!

Hattie64 Wed 13-Jul-11 19:36:27

I'm just easy and not of sound mind, think I will fit in quite well with this trip.

glassortwo Wed 13-Jul-11 20:01:57

Can I join you all I am a great navigator and I have some points on my Boots card, we could use it for mosi spray.