Gransnet forums

AIBU

Inventions of the Devil

(93 Posts)
absentgrana Thu 14-Jul-11 15:41:44

AIBU to suggest that, with the exception of weapons of mass destruction, chewing gum is the worst thing ever invented?

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 21:53:11

Yes! polystyrene cups. They fool you into thinking the drink is cool enough and then you get a burnt mouth.

harrigran Thu 14-Jul-11 22:12:33

Plastic sacks as in charity bags, I have had five through the letterbox this week already.

glassortwo Thu 14-Jul-11 22:13:13

Tripe !!!!!!!!

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 22:14:50

Pardon?!

that's really rude.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 22:15:11

wink

glassortwo Thu 14-Jul-11 22:31:05

Cant stand it grin

Annobel Thu 14-Jul-11 22:35:58

Jackdaws. They were evicted from my chimney a couple of years ago after I found all the stuff they'd dropped down: stones, moss, clumps of grass and, most puzzlingly, a five-inch metal bolt. Now they get their own back by quarrelling loudly outside my window at 5am.

ChickenKnickers Thu 14-Jul-11 22:57:23

The cellophane on CDs, nearly impossible to get off.
Txt spk, especially when people use it when they have plenty of time to type properly, or when they are over 16. It makes me grind my teeth when my friend texts something like "wud b gud 2 c u", gaah!!
Quorn, tastes rubbery and peculiar and the one time I tried it, it gave me the most terrible flatulence! blush

Joan Thu 14-Jul-11 23:25:48

Bras - especially the wired variety, but all of them really. It's like being tethered in a harness.

Tobacco - my poor old husband finally gave it up - and became sick!! Evil stuff.

The devil himself - invented, along with the fires of hell, to keep us in line, and there's nothing I hate more than being expected to behave.

sprinkles Fri 15-Jul-11 00:18:23

Oh yes, smart shoes. I have a wedding coming up and feeling the pain already

JessM Fri 15-Jul-11 05:50:59

not work of devil those shoes, work of men!

Baggy Fri 15-Jul-11 07:22:20

You could always rebel against devil shoes! I've never worn any, not even to weddings, including my own. It's perfectly possible to wear smart shoes without going in for fashionable foot torture chambers. I've no sympathy for people who complain about foot discomfort and then wear the stupid things. Sorry, but for goodness' sake!!!!! Doesn't anyone have a spine anymore?

jangly Fri 15-Jul-11 09:48:49

Yes Chickenknickers (! smile). Film over cds. Never know whether to take a knife, scissors or a can opener to it.

Baggy Fri 15-Jul-11 10:47:43

Next Cd you get, try an iSlice. smile

janthea Fri 15-Jul-11 13:52:47

Slugs and spiders. What use are they? Especially slugs when they eat my plants!

Baggy Fri 15-Jul-11 14:41:18

Slugs are very useful hedgehog food and spiders eat even more annoying things. wink

gma Fri 15-Jul-11 15:24:10

Sprouts - in any disguise, food of the devil himself! and Poached Pears in Red Wine!!
Snooker-probably the most boring game in the world.
Unable to think of anything else.....except American Soaps!!!!

yogagran Fri 15-Jul-11 15:38:35

Plastic wrappers on cucumbers

dorsetpennt Fri 15-Jul-11 16:28:36

why is food that is to be peeled - ie: cucumbers - plastic wrapped? In fact why is veg plastic wrapped at all - surely everyone washes their veg anyway, if they don't serves them right for being lazy. My invention of the devil - people who have long, loud conversations on their mobiles, I love my mobile but I don't impose my boring life on anyone else. On a train once, a young lady was buying something over the phone. The whole carriage heard her transaction as she was so loud. She even gave her card pin number and security number. At a stop a business gent got off but first handed her a bit of paper where he's written down her details. When she queried this he said the whole carriage would have been able to use her banking details fraundulently. Her face was a picture! Hopefully she's learnt a lesson thought I doubt it.

JessM Sat 16-Jul-11 20:28:07

Those with tender stomachs stop reading NOW and skip this post.
La la la.
Slugs do a useful job eating dead slugs and dog poo.

Gally Sat 16-Jul-11 20:45:06

Hotel soap. I needed to open the soap in a hotel yesterday in a very great hurry - I eventually wripped it apart with my teeth and then had to spit copious amounts of disgusting cheap foam into the basin. ~What's wrong with unwrapped soap - it's going to be 'washed' anyway......angry

riclorian Sun 17-Jul-11 10:57:09

people who chew gum open mouthed

all vermin ( spelling ?)

mobile phone users who shout

yoghurt

loud car radios

and most of all rainy days like today !!

PS maybe that's why I'm a bit grumpy

raggygranny Sun 17-Jul-11 13:42:42

Ring-pulls on tins of tomatoes that spray me and everything in the vicinity with red juice when I pull the lid off! Packaging that can only be removed with a whole toolchest of implements. Computers that go into 'not responding' mode when I am in the middle of something, or say they can't find the printer when I am in a hurry to print something..... angry

Elegran Sun 17-Jul-11 13:55:38

raggygranny - My hands are so weak that I now open these ring-pull tins by putting the handle of a wooden spoon through and levering that. A bonus is that I can hold it further away from me so I get less spray on my clothes.

grannyactivist Sun 17-Jul-11 13:59:10

Agree with baggy re: shoes, but daughter bought me a pair of shoes that for some inexplicable reason just 'feel' uncomfortable; not too high, strappy sandals with broad base and yet.... Still, I do keep on wearing them occasionally because my daughter very rarely buys me practical gifts and I don't want to discourage her.