AIBU

babies in restaurants

(31 Posts)
glammanana Sun 17-Jul-11 22:28:48

I can't understand the logic in taking a little one out for evening meals when
he should be at home tucked up asleep,I,m sure that the person's concerned
could have popped into any famous foodhall and bought say meal for 2 +
bottle of wine and sat in and enjoyed the food and enjoyed a peaceful,
relaxing evening.So selfish to the child and other relatives I think.

HildaW Sun 17-Jul-11 21:48:59

Family lunch in a restaurant is one thing and if you get them into training early enough on how to behave in such places it can be a jolly event...but an evening meal is for grown-ups (this is denoted by the behaviour of the person not their age). Babies however, should be tucked up in bed! Nothing worse than an over tired baby and to be quite honest its bordering on un-kindness to them.

seraphicDigitalis Sun 17-Jul-11 20:25:14

I confess to being slightly child-unfriendly after a certain hour. I think this was an appalling breach of courtesy, common sense and even cruelty. I'm surprised somebody didn't make a fuss.

Dig

pinkprincess Sun 17-Jul-11 20:18:49

The poor little baby should have been in bed, that's probably the reason he was screaming.Surely one set of the adults could have stayed behind, or the parents got a baby sitter.

riclorian Sun 17-Jul-11 17:52:11

Selfish and thoughtless ---- a child of that age should be tucked up in bed . If they can afford a meal in an expensive restaurant , they can surely afford a baby sitter . I'm old fashioned , I believe in early bed -times .

Stansgran Sun 17-Jul-11 15:28:25

We have just taken dd sil and 2dgs on quite an expensive hols by the sea. brilliant weather (UK) and suggested they go out every evening-either am eal or walk along beach or drink at pub while we happily babysat. on the last night but one we booked for a meal on our own-michelin restaurant-highly recommended to celebrate wedding anniversary.
pre dinner drinks and in comes grandparents young parents and ist grandchild who screamed(about 18 mths old) at regular intervals the grandparents only took him out once to calm him and Mum wasn't still feeding which would have been a reason to bring him out as she had a selection of heinz jars on the table. The restaurant was busy and chattery but he could be heard well above the chatter(about 8 tables in a small room)
He spoilt our evening and I suspect others -I would have loved to take my brood out but it was past their bedtime and if they had misbehaved we would have taken them out in turns. So am I being unreasonable to say this family were selfish?