Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect meat not to be pumped full of water

(7 Posts)
Barrow Wed 20-Jul-11 08:56:42

Yesterday I bought 2 small lamb steaks for £6 and when I started to cook them water just poured out. I poured water from the pan 4 times and still water was coming out of the meat. angry. I have long ago given up on having nice crispy bacon but yesterday was the final straw. Chops and steaks these days end up being boiled rather than fried (yes I know grilling is healthier but I like chops, steaks and bacon fried - or at least I used to!). Perhaps we should start a campaign to reduce the amount of water pumped into meat simply to make it heavier and therefore more expensive!

absentgrana Wed 20-Jul-11 09:07:49

Barrow Buy from a reputable, traditional butcher if you can. The meat will be of better quality and not soaking wet. It might seem more expensive, but you won't be paying for water which you don't want and throw away.

glammanana Wed 20-Jul-11 09:13:15

Change your butcher for one thing,I use a tefal frying pan for bacon and put
bacon in without any oil or spray it never sticks but always comes out crispy
as for steaks etc I roast in the oven and finish off for 2mins each side in the same pan,we should expect a small amount of liquid from our meat but not the amount that you are experiencing and I think if we voted with our feet
something would be done about it

Baggy Wed 20-Jul-11 09:16:15

Buy organic. I know it's more expensive, but you can compensate by eating less. It's several hundred per cent better in quality than cheap meat. That said, even organic meat qualities can vary, but at least you know the animal has has a good life.

Barrow Wed 20-Jul-11 09:33:34

This was organic meat admittedly from a supermarket. My closest butcher is some 10 miles away!! but even when I made a special journey there the meat was still full of water.

Amber Wed 20-Jul-11 09:39:07

Hi Barrow
Have you got any farm shops near you? here in the south west we have quite a few Farmers with their own outlet shops, in some cases you can even see the animals in the fields, so know exactly where your meat has come from. and if it is not up to scratch you can be sure the Farmer is going to want to know!

glammanana Wed 20-Jul-11 09:42:59

Rather than making a special 10mle journey for something you are not happy with can you not go direct to a farm butcher,they are very accommadating
when it comes to smaller orders you don't have to buy the whole side of
lamb etc,if you got your bacon eggs chops and steak etc you would get at
a good price and good quality.