Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bad driving

(15 Posts)
helshea Wed 20-Jul-11 14:41:02

Am I right in believing that someone changed the rules and now roads don't have two sides, one for each direction? The just have one lane.... straight down the middle!

Elegran Wed 20-Jul-11 14:45:41

Only for the same section of the driving public as ignore all other rules and have no consideration for other travelers.
Tthey are particularly active on our street where there are a couple of chicanes to slow traffic down. They just stay in the middle of the road the whole way.

absentgrana Wed 20-Jul-11 15:28:47

This rule applies to those drivers who also reckon that if theirs is the first car to reach a red traffic light at a controlled crossing, they have the right to continue straight on – and honk their horns at any pedestrian with the temerity to step out once the little man has turned green.

numberplease Wed 20-Jul-11 16:55:35

And the flat roundabouts painted on the road seem to become invisible whenever I`m standing on them! Several times cars (and buses) have ignored the fact that I`m there!

pompa Wed 20-Jul-11 17:33:23

Numberplease, why would you want to stand on a painted roundabout? - anyone doing that in our village would have a death wish. Half the motorists go round them on the wrong side, hope they don't try that on regular roundabouts.

borstalgran Wed 20-Jul-11 17:50:43

Please just watch out for cyclists. We are either not seen, seen and ignored, or actively pushed around by cars.

helshea Wed 20-Jul-11 18:09:00

Yes Pompa, you wouldn't get anyone around here standing on a flat roundabout. I've never seen a car go completely around them yet. Be careful numberplease.

Totrirulody Wed 20-Jul-11 18:14:27

Oh Helshea, you must live in rural France! Here it is awful and if someone hits you for being on the "wrong" side of the road, it is still your fault grin

helshea Wed 20-Jul-11 18:20:19

I think I would put up with driving on either side of the road if I lived in rural France, you are so lucky grin. I think half of English drivers think they are still on their European holidays.

groovygranny Wed 20-Jul-11 18:47:33

Believe me, having recently driven in Southern Italy, British drivers are Saints!!

helshea Wed 20-Jul-11 19:08:54

Yes I remember, British drivers may drive badly, but Italian drivers seem to drive sideways.

glassortwo Wed 20-Jul-11 19:59:28

Why do some drivers think they can turn right from a left hand lane on a roundabout right across your nose when you are in the lane for going straight over!

helshea Wed 20-Jul-11 20:33:55

Because they are stupid that's why!

numberplease Wed 20-Jul-11 21:28:29

I know that it`s a bit dodgy on those painted roundabouts, but surely if there`s someone standing on it the traffic should at least go round it, rather than over it? The one I was on is in the middle of a quite wide thoroughfare in the town centre, and not being very agile, I can`t always get across before the traffic is upon me. One of the vehicles that came across the roundabout and almost knocked me down was a bus!

glammanana Wed 20-Jul-11 22:24:04

Any one tried to cross at the lights in the N332 in Spain if you got across
in one go you deserve a medal,the drivers here in UK are angels compared
to them.