Gransnet forums

AIBU

should she have gone to prison?

(28 Posts)
Barrow Fri 22-Jul-11 11:22:09

In Bristol it has been reported that a 2 year old boy drowned in a garden pond whilst his 44 year old grandmother was passed out on the sofa indoors. The parents were in a nearby pub. The child wasn't missed until 10.30 p.m. All three adults were given suspended prison sentences. Am I being unreasonable in thinking the grandmother should have gone to prison? I am sure she is very sorry for the death of her grandson but she was totally irresponsible to drink to the extent she did whilst she was looking after this little boy.

I don't have children, so no grandchildren, so I would be interested to know the views of grandparents out there.

Joan Sun 07-Aug-11 13:46:38

The poor little child lost the 'birth lottery' being born to such an uncaring family. He never stood a chance, and even if he had not died, he would have had little chance of a positive, happy life.

They all seem to have got suspended sentences, so i presume this will mean they will be watched henceforth? I agree actual prison time would achieve little.

There is little society can do to prevent such people neglecting their children:you can't legislate to make bad parents good, or to make stupid people sensible. All we can do it be vigilant and report people we see seriously neglecting their children and putting them at risk.

Nanban Mon 08-Aug-11 13:06:21

Of course the parents were to blame for putting their need to go to the pub before the safety of their child knowing all the dangers and going ahead regardless. Prison isn't the answer. Being in their community and having to live with the guilt punishment enough hopefully. Their lives are already dreadful by the sound of it.