Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being silly

(47 Posts)
joshsnan Fri 22-Jul-11 22:33:22

Hi ladies, just want to know your views... I'm 58...I took early retirement in March, decided to look after my grandson 2days a wk and catch up with old friends and travel more. Now I will get to the point of my post...I have always loved horses and I used to horse ride up to getting married 36yrs ago ( had to give it up with having a mortgage and then children coming along ) well this last couple of months I've took horse riding up again (i'm having lessons lost a lot of my confidence although a lot of it is coming back) and I love it, yesterday when I came back from a lesson I bumped into some of my neighbours and they asked me where I had been...told them that I had been horse riding, their reply was one of shock and then they started laughing saying things like do you not think your to old to be doing things like that, I was a bit taken aback, then my sister called this morning and I was telling her about what my neighbours had said, and then she said she agrees with them, her words were I thought you had got all that out of your system yrs ago. So now i'm left wondering am I to old to take horse riding back up again and learning all over again. I'm not usually one to let people get to me and I'm certainly not one that usually keeps their mouth shut when someone makes derogatory comments, but now I'm feeling quite low and wondering if I am being silly learning to ride again..I must add my husband is very supportive of me and loves the fact that I'm taking interest in new things (hes words it keeps you young) Sorry for the long post and thankyou all for reading. confused

nanapug Fri 22-Jul-11 22:46:39

Hello joshsnan, I think it is great that you are doing something that you love to do, but my only concern, as a retired nurse, is that if you take a tumble off the horse (a possibility regardless of your ability) at our age you can do quite a bit of damage, and perhaps take a bit longer to recover. Would this then stop you looking after your GS and travelling? Your husband is right to be supportive of you as he probably knows how happy it makes you, but perhaps your sister is concerned for your safety? If you are happy to take what is a bit of risk then go ahead and enjoy yourself but think carefully about it.

grannyactivist Fri 22-Jul-11 23:32:34

joshsnan Did you read that bikergran has recently passed her motorcycle test? If it brings you pleasure and you take sensible precautions - then go for it!
If you need a bit of encouragement check out this American website:
www.positivelyriding.com/OlderRiders.html Yeehah!! grin

Joan Fri 22-Jul-11 23:43:15

Ignore those who say you should not do it. Carry on riding, and have fun: as for any danger, I reckon you are in far less danger than young 'uns who tend to take far more risks. It isn't as if you are racing or anything.

I reckon there's a bit of jealousy in your critics.

crimson Fri 22-Jul-11 23:50:31

Charmian Hill rode her horse Dawn Run to victory in a nh bumper race at the age of 61. Dawn Run went on to win the Champion Hurdle and the Cheltenham Gold Cup albeit with someone else on board. I envy you,joshsnan, as I always wanted to ride but am absolutely useless at it. Anyways, The Queen still rides and nobody tells her not to!

Faye Sat 23-Jul-11 00:01:16

Joshnan I think its a great idea. I am a year older than you and I certainly don't intend to sit back and just knit. Even though I would love to be able to knit. You have gotten me started on thinking of all the things I might like to start doing now I have more time. I want to take up yoga again, since I haven't done it for 30 years and loved it. I also want to take up painting, another thing I would love to take up is tai chi. My daughter is going to buy some horses, she already has horses grazing on her land, I might just take up horse riding too. I loved it when I was a teenager. You have inspired me!!! smile

joshsnan Sat 23-Jul-11 00:22:28

Aww thanks ladies for your replies...knew I could rely on you for your opinions. Feel so much better now, and will take on board all of your suggestions. thanks again smile

grannyactivist Sat 23-Jul-11 00:34:30

joshsnan grin

Baggy Sat 23-Jul-11 06:32:54

The queen still rides and she doesn't wear a helemt. wink

Baggy Sat 23-Jul-11 06:33:07

Helmet

Baggy Sat 23-Jul-11 06:34:34

Oops. Just seen that someone has said that already. Doh.

helshea Sat 23-Jul-11 06:51:51

Joshsnan... go for it! There is no more reason for someone 58 not to ride as there is for someone 18. Have fun, and don't worry about what others say, they are probably really proud of you, or jealous.

Soupy Sat 23-Jul-11 08:22:29

What a load of rubbish from your neighbours!. I find that rather unkind of them. For goodness sake I'll be 58 late in the year and I don't consider my self too old to do anything. I might not do things because they don't appeal but at the moment I can't think of any reason not to take up a hobby because of age.

I did ride for a while in my twenties and kept a horse; wouldn't want to do it now but that's just my choice.

You go to it girl!

Gally Sat 23-Jul-11 08:39:57

Joshsnan - I dont want to put a damper on this conversation, but I would seriously advise you to give it as much thought as possible. My cousin, who had only recently re-married, decided to return to riding after a long lapse at the age of 57. On her very first outing, the horse stumbled, she fell off and 20 minutes later she was in an air-ambulance on her way to the nearest spinal unit where she remained for the next 6 months. She was told she would never walk again, but against all odds she manages to 'walk' but obviously has on-going probs that come with spinal injuries. I suppose it's a matter of weighing up all the possibilities and making your own decision on that basis. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

ElseG Sat 23-Jul-11 08:45:48

Of course you should ride and enjoy every moment of it. I almost feel sorry for your neighbours that they have nothing better to do than jibe at others. 58 is not old anyway, maybe when (because you exercise I say when) you reach 98 you might have to think again. Enjoy yourself and 'go for it girl'.

glassortwo Sat 23-Jul-11 08:48:15

Joshsnan I think we all know what we are capable off and happy doing and would not put ourselves at risk. Doing something that you enjoy is a tonic in itself go for it.!!!

ElseG Sat 23-Jul-11 08:51:55

Sorry Gally I had not seen your post and that is very, very sad but Joshsnan has gone about this the correct way and re-taken lessons. Horse riding generally has it's dangers and you wouldn't get me on the back of a horse but if you love it, go for it.

Baggy Sat 23-Jul-11 08:52:33

It's impossible to live a risk-free life. If we tried to nobody would ever do anything adventurous or challenging. You are not being silly.

Barrow Sat 23-Jul-11 09:09:09

I agree with most of the posters here. If you enjoy it then go for it! There will always be people who say don't do this or don't do that because of your age but with people being healthier and living longer that shouldn't be a barrier. You are young enough to enjoy it and old enough to know the risks and calculate whether its worth it.

jangly Sat 23-Jul-11 09:14:23

OMG!!! I have always wanted to ride a horse. Recently I have been wondering how difficult it can be to stay on. I mean, you have your feet in a stirrup on either side. And I think there's a bit on the saddle you can grab if you need to. My daughter keeps threatening to march me to a very good (quite posh smile) riding school near us.

But after what Gally said, I think I'll stick to me push bike!

Sometimes I pretend its a horse. smile

Gally Sat 23-Jul-11 09:47:30

That's ok Baggy. I think you should do what you want to - having taken into consideration all the options - like I said on another thread, you only go round once so take every opportunity that comes your way. I must say I was thinking of taking up riding again, but after my Coz's accident I put that one firmly on the back burner. I mean, you can even fall off yer pushbike Jangly and do an incredible amount of damage and just crossing the road is an event in itself these days. I tend to err on the side of caution - but that's just the way I am. My kids jump out of 'planes and extreme ski and surf and I'm a nervous wreck!confused

bikergran Sat 23-Jul-11 10:06:23

Morning all...and thankyou grannyactivist lol...(I have now even been posting in Motorcycle news forum lol)!!

joshsnan I have a friend she is ermm think 63 ish! we met when I had a scoooter, she came dashing over to me to tell me she was also buying a scooter,, we got chatting exchanged numbers etc...that was over 2 yrs ago.... we now both have motorbikes (friend has bgger one than me 250cc) Im jealous lol.....she also goes horseriding and has done for yrs..she has her own horse..goes darts/bingo and tows a caravan on her own, and loves every minute of it....we are both hoping to maybe do some longer trips on bikes at I am some time and stay over B n Bs....sooooooooooo what I am saying is

" GO FOR IT " !!! nerver mind what others think...just go with what you want to do as one day, yes, you will be too old or infirn to do the things you want, we get once chance of lfe we dont get a second run! (well im not aware of it)LOL... you go and carry on your horseriding and that goes for everyone, retirement is a different ball game these days...do it !! whilst you are able to... and if anyone tells you otherwise ,,,send them to gransnet and we will deal with them lol lol....... have fun we have enough worries. we are entitlled to fun !! so get saddledup girl and go! go! go.!..(just remember the hat though) !! and of course there is armoured jackets around these days so just make sure you are protected... (bit like safe sex) ......smile

mickey Sat 23-Jul-11 10:59:01

I am 68 and I have my own pony and intend to ride for as long as I can.At our age you don't choose a flighty one-older ones may be best.Take no notice of others-its great fun,healthy and hopefully keeps you fit. Just think they are zealous.

Hunt Sat 23-Jul-11 11:16:17

At the age of 80 my husband and I still go out on our narrowboat, we just don't do things like jumping off and can cope with all the steering, ropes, etc. We have given up cycling only because the roads into the town are so dangerous. Incidentally my husband fell and broke his neck while walking across a room so trouble can hit you anywhere. Follow your star,Joshsnan, and carry on riding!

Zephrine Sat 23-Jul-11 13:08:17

Get a back protector, put your hat on and go for it! Laura Ashley died falling down stairs in her own house, nothing in life is risk free and how boring it would be if we all sat wrapped in cotton wool and did nothing.