Gransnet forums

AIBU

To join Gransnet and not mumsnet?

(40 Posts)
mumontherun Tue 26-Jul-11 19:53:43

I've been lurking for a while and just wanted to say how WONDERFUL these forums are!
I'm a mum to a Girl and Boy aged 7 & 2 and don't have a huge amount of help or advice from the next generation up and the one thing i've been saying for years is Man I wish I had a nan to ask this or that...

Can't really put into words all the different posts i've read and just gone PHEW!! The perspective Grandparents can put on the 101 things a mum worries about day to day is astonishing.

Thankyou so much Grans x x Keep rocking x x

Baggy Sun 14-Aug-11 17:57:59

I never read Dr Spock or anything else, just used my instincts. It seemed to work. Mind you, I did have very healthy babies. Might have been different if I'd been worried about them.

Weaning was giving the baby food when it seemed interested. Mine were all breast fed and they all weaned themselves off the breast before they were a year old even though I was quite happy to continue. They just stopped and would look at me as if to say: I know there's something else. I want some of that. Interestingly, two of them haven't touched milk since then so maybe they never liked it much. hmm

Nanban Mon 15-Aug-11 10:50:22

I've just hopped across to look at Mumsnet - nasty - they all seem so aggressive and 'I want' or even worse 'I should be entitled'. Just wait till they get to be grandparents.

pinkprincess Mon 15-Aug-11 20:10:26

I agree with alot of people on here about Mumsnet.
One of my pet gripes is the breastfeeding police on there.One poster got very upset because ,as she had to give up breastfeeding, someone called her an unfit mother and she should not be having children!.What a thing to say.
Also the amount of spoiled children.Even babies seem to rule the house.

greenmossgiel Mon 15-Aug-11 20:15:29

Don't think I'll look on there - they would all make me so annoyed, and I just couldn't be bothered with them!! grin

grandmaagain Mon 15-Aug-11 20:40:47

just a couple of words of support for mumsnet, my DD has had a very difficult time with pregnancy and delivery and the support threads have been superb.
but keep away from their AIBU mostly that is horrid

greenmossgiel Mon 15-Aug-11 20:42:55

That's good to know, grandmaagain - I was thinking these lasses must be quite scary!! grin

dizzyblonde Mon 15-Aug-11 20:45:29

I think they can give very good support but for goodness sake don't admit to smacking your children on there. My 19 year old daughter went on there to support me and say she had suffered zero trauma from being smacked and was told that she didn't know what she was talking about and must have been suffering the long term effects from a tap on the hand.
She has been far to well brought up to tell them what rubbish they were talking.

grannyactivist Mon 15-Aug-11 20:51:22

A high school Headmaster had a problem with a few of the older girls starting to use lipstick. When applying it in the girl’s toilets they would then press their lips to the mirror and leave lip prints.

Before it got out of hand he thought of a way to stop it. He gathered all the girls together that wore lipstick and told them he wanted to meet with them in the girl’s toilets at 2pm.

They gathered at 2pm and found the headmaster and the school caretaker waiting for them. The headmaster explained that it was becoming a problem for the caretaker to clean the mirror every night. He said he felt the ladies did not fully understand just how much of a problem it was and he wanted them to witness just how hard it was to clean.

The caretaker then demonstrated. He took a long brush out of a bucket, dipped it in the nearest toilet, moved to the mirror and proceeded to remove the lipstick.

That was the last day the girls pressed their lips on the mirror.smile

grannyactivist Mon 15-Aug-11 20:55:47

Oops - dropped the mouse and lost my post, which I'd had the foresight to save in WORD, re-posted, but realise that it's in the wrong thread now! He-he! grin Experiencing my own dizzyblonde moment I'm afraid!

GrannyTunnocks Tue 16-Aug-11 06:43:01

I like the story about the lipstick on the mirrors. Like some of the others some young mums worry too much instead of enjoying their children. Also some kids rule the roost. At least we grans enjoy our grandchildren and have fun with them.

Baggy Tue 16-Aug-11 07:57:51

Has anyone else seen the story of the eleven year old German boy who rang the ploice to complain about "forced labour" when he was asked to tidy up at home? He'd be in big trouble if he was my son!

glassortwo Tue 16-Aug-11 08:43:30

Mine too baggy

Annobel Tue 16-Aug-11 08:46:59

I hope none of my GSs hear that story!

Nanban Tue 16-Aug-11 20:25:36

Does anyone else get totally fed up hearing young mothers 'reasoning' with their children when all they should say is No, and mean it. My youngest with a friend asked for something or other - absent mindedly I said 'we'll see' and as they went out, hand in hand, youngest said to his friend - oh that's alright, when she says that she really means yes!