Gransnet forums

AIBU

Outrageous: NHS delaying operations to save money

(27 Posts)
eggmayo Fri 29-Jul-11 14:31:46

I heard on the Today programme this morning that the NHS has been delaying people's operations so thatt they don't have to do them. Apparently people will go private if they really need the op or they'll just die first(!!!), saving the NHS the trouble.

I am completely outraged by this. the idea that boards of people who are put in charge of making sure people get the care they need have been so cynical in their decisions is making my blood boil.
how on earth can this be in the best interests of anyone? And of course it's all because of the massive cuts that they've been forced to make. Please tell me I'm not alone in being angry.

JessM Wed 24-Aug-11 18:48:21

mamanC some suggestions:
it may be worth ringing and saying you can fill a cancellation at short notice (if this is the case) . Find out who is the best person to talk to about it. Sweet talk everyone and try to get them on your side to try to find out who is the gatekeeper. Probably start with the consultant's secretary. And then keep ringing to remind them you'll fill in at short notice...
If you get nowhere write to your MP!
Some people who want to get up the queue for an important op make a single private appointment with the surgeon they would be seeing on NHS. Or the one they would like to see... Sometimes the surgeon, having seen patient and ascertained that they are in fact urgent, will then get them on the NHS list for surgery, thus bypassing the wait for inital outpatients. They would not pressure you to have the op privately unless you have private health care.