Gransnet forums

AIBU

What happened to choice?

(77 Posts)
helshea Sun 07-Aug-11 19:43:18

Am I being unreasonable in thinking we are losing our right to decide what we want? It's as though we are not able to make correct choices. I've noticed that quite a few restaurants now do not even have salt and pepper on the tables, you have to ask for it. What is all that about? I know salt is bad for me.... but hey, sometimes I want it sometimes I don't but I want the choice!

artygran Tue 16-Aug-11 22:54:46

Ripe avocado, crisp streaky bacon and ripe brie, on ciabbatta! Heaven! I am thinking of moving away from laundry liquids as, the more you use them at low temperatures, the more horrible residues they seem to leave in your machine. Don't want to go back to loose powder if I can help it though...

Baggy Tue 16-Aug-11 05:33:08

Wish I could do it that way, ariadne, but since I have to drive at least twelve miles to get to a shop that sells fresh stuff, I might as well get everything else while I'm at it.

Ariadne Tue 16-Aug-11 05:29:06

I do all the boring supermarket shopping online so that I don't have to spend hours looking and choosing. I never buy fresh food online, but it's quite pleasant buying that from nice shops and having a bit of a potter round other shops too.

jangly Tue 16-Aug-11 03:08:20

That's much better Faye. smile

jangly Mon 15-Aug-11 22:16:08

I'm not bossy

I don't hide away!

Sometimes - wait for it - I go out!

GoldenGran Mon 15-Aug-11 15:30:52

I agree, we have a choice to carry on with the thread or meander into something else,that what conversation is. I like salt and pepper on the table to decide whether or not I need it. I some times lose the thread of the thread,(do you follow me) anyway.I think I need to go back to the shed and talk nonsense there, I think I have lost the plot altogether.

Grannylin Mon 15-Aug-11 15:23:00

but I suppose the answer is in the original title of the thread!

Grannylin Mon 15-Aug-11 15:22:18

What I don't get, is why jangly is allowed to be so bossy, yet hides away?!

Faye Mon 15-Aug-11 14:37:30

Don't worry about me jangly, didn't you notice the look I gave you. I think a thread is spoilt when the thread police come out and direct the posts. Interesting conversations often go onto other subjects. If you start a thread doesn't mean you own it, now does it!!! smile

jangly Mon 15-Aug-11 09:15:19

Sorry! Canary.

jangly Mon 15-Aug-11 09:14:43

Faye - be a big strong girl and stand up for yourself.

You are quite right Bagitha Turkey. A thread is a thread and therefore it wanders. smile

Annobel Mon 15-Aug-11 08:29:29

I have just been getting up-to-date with this (somewhat diverse) thread. Avocados just don't like me. Living in Kenya, I wondered why I kept getting severe stomach upsets, culminating in throwing up in the mission doctor's consulting room. I made the connection with avocados and never had another such attack. My father had the same experience some years later when avocados became readily available in this country.
As for detergents, I use the cheapest non-bio I can find, usually Aldi or Lidl - and generally the shortest and coolest wash I can get away with - my machine doesn't do cold washes. Which reminds me, I have to go and put my washing out on the line - right now!

Baggy Mon 15-Aug-11 07:49:06

Faye, I don't think you need to apologise. Jangly has spoilsport moods. You and I were enjoying this thread so I'm not sure why she felt the need to chuck a spanner in the spokes.

jangly, do stop it!

Faye Mon 15-Aug-11 05:36:15

Grrr...why did I repeat myself...anyway I think it looks interesting in.... confused

Faye Mon 15-Aug-11 05:18:41

Sorry jangly confused I think I will wander over to the Home Remedies in Health and give my opinion chat there!
Baggy, I will put my reply on Home Remedies in Health.

Baggy Sun 14-Aug-11 11:11:54

Conversations do stray, jangly. And I don't agree that we've strayed. BUT you could put us back on track if you're that bothered! Bossy boots! wink
bet you send me another tongue sticky out emoticon!

jangly Sun 14-Aug-11 10:59:05

You have all strayed from the original point raised.

Start yer own threads.

Baggy Sun 14-Aug-11 08:42:23

Yes, Faye, allergies are a nuisance. I always had itchy skin until I worked in Thailand and hand-washed my clothes in cold (well, it wasn't cold by British standards, but it was 'ambient') water with a very small amount of washing powder. I used to leave things to soak. When I came back to Britain and started using a washing-machine again, the itching reasserted itself. That's when I started to wonder.... So, from then (thirteen years ago) I investigated: discovered eco-balls, which I used for years (grey whites, tho no doubt 'technically' clean), then soap pods (soap nuts) which I still use. I also use Ecover laundry bleach for the occasional hot wash of things that need brightening up.

My whites stay white, I kill nasties if there are any lurking, and my skin is fine. smile

Are you able to get Essential Care Gentle Herb shampoo where you are? It does contain citric acid as a balancer but it has no perfume or other nasties.

Faye Sun 14-Aug-11 03:02:03

Allergies are a pain baggy, we have them in our family and soap powder can make my GS1 really come out in a terrible rash. DD2 doesn't use shampoo on GS2 as he is also allergic to it. I use laundry liquid but I am allergic to some soap too and don't like to use anything with perfume in it. The use of cold water is mainly to save on electricity.

crimson Sat 13-Aug-11 22:59:58

..actually they might have been Granny Smiths, because my kids preferred Granny Smith to GD's and they were most p'd off at the time about it. I suppose that makes them Grand-mere Smith or pommes de Grand mere Smith....I think it's time for bed.....

crimson Sat 13-Aug-11 22:54:36

I couldn't buy French Golden Delicious when they were doing some sort of nuclear tests in the Pacific [or South Pacific] or somewhere like that. Put a note in the Asda complaints box to tell them why I wasn't buying said apples just in case they hadn't noticed. [Ladies at checkout @ 1991'ish..have you noticed Mrs crimson hasn't bought any French apples for AGES..better tell the manager].

jangly Sat 13-Aug-11 21:53:18

What's happened to helshea is more to the point.

Where's she gone?

Baggy Sat 13-Aug-11 20:23:36

Like OGM, I only go for natural fibres. If I wear fleece, I get a lot of painful electric shocks. I use hot water to wash light coloured things and my clothes last for years! I have cotton jumpers that I've been wearing every summer for the last twenty+ years and they're still fine.

Re limiting what one buys: I also wouldn't buy South African things when the apartheid government was in power. I remember one occasion when I told DDs to choose the apples in the shop. As they hurried off, I called after them: "Not South African ones!" They were quite young — about four and six — but I'd explained why to them and they understood. After a minute, DD1 came back and reported at the top of her voice: "That man's buying South African apples!" I wonder if that made him think? I live in hope.

Faye, if one doesn't use detergent for washing clothes (because one's allergic to it), one has to use hot water to actually get them clean. I suppose they can be 'clean enough' but unfortunately they look dirty. I speak from experience. I wonder if the power used to make detergents and shift them over their travelling miles is less than, more than, or equal to the amount used to heat water?

Another problem is bed bugs. I don't have the problem, but apparently it's becoming endemic in the USA. It is now thought that the main problem is washing bedding in water that isn't hot enough to kill the beasties. Detergent doesn't kill them but hot water does.

Oldgreymare Sat 13-Aug-11 19:12:46

Oh dear...... my choice is limited by my political views......
I won't buy anything from Israel ( it used to be the U.S.A. and S.Africa too!!!)
I won't buy anything that has clocked up airmiles ( But make exception for the antipodes).
I prefer to by locally sourced organic produce... or fruit and veg we grow ourselves.
I like natural fibres not synthetic ones.
I could go on and on........ yawn!!!

..... and now I can't by Boden either....... flip!!!!!

jangly Wed 10-Aug-11 21:36:48

If you leave any body fluids (sweat) on clothes for longer than about a week, it will not come out at all.