Gransnet forums

AIBU

Caring from a distance

(6 Posts)
shillingforMary Thu 18-Aug-11 08:23:58

can any of you offer me some sensible advice - I spend part of my year back in England, but live + work mainly in Malta (long story)

My Mum is independent, and insists on staying in her own home but is now much less able than she was, her elder sister died recently who was always about, but I can't be there to help her. Right now its things like complicated electricity bills and light bulbs she can't reach, but I'm worried if something more dramatic happens.

has anyone found a way to allow their own parent to stay put for longer?

Annobel Thu 18-Aug-11 08:43:09

Some local authorities have 'staying put' schemes for people in your mum's position. You might give them a try; and Age UK will certainly have some useful information for you.

Zephrine Thu 18-Aug-11 09:34:53

If your mum is happy to do it she could give you authority to set up direct debits for her bills & online access for you to monitor them. Some areas have community groups that help with things like shopping or light bulb changing, I agree Age concern and possibly CAB would have info on anyting local.

goldengirl Thu 18-Aug-11 16:34:07

I looked after my mother from a distance and found it so difficult to get information I wrote a little suggestion book about it. It's a bit out of date because I mention Enduring Power of Attorney and it's now Lasting Power of Attorney but you're welcome to contact me privately for more details.

Apologies Gransnet Team if this is out of order.

shillingforMary Wed 31-Aug-11 13:49:47

thanks for your suggestions - I'll try CAB next week

glammanana Wed 31-Aug-11 22:33:11

See if CAB can put you in touch with a Support Link service I have one here in our supported housing apartment but more for my DH rather than for me,if I am away for any length of time and he has a problem he can call them and a support member will call any emergency service or arrange for warden or trade's man to call,the system is connected to a standard telephone line and cost's are very reasonable and give's complete peace of mind.