Gransnet forums

AIBU

Or perhaps over-sensitive

(64 Posts)
ElseG Sun 21-Aug-11 23:43:29

but I think I shall have to say goodbye to this website. Unfortunately some discussions can get out of hand and I think members (probably including myself) could well do with checking their contributions to appreciate the effect they may have on others.

One particular thread which is ongoing so I will not name it, has thoroughly upset me because it has come a little too close for comfort but it has made me realise that perhaps Gransnet is not for me.

I shall miss the odd [cuppa] and toast in the shed and some of the amusing threads. I have met some very lovely people so cheery bye to you all.

Yummygran Mon 22-Aug-11 15:40:09

Thank you for your welcome messages, I am quite excited at the prospect of reading and sharing views.

absentgrana Mon 22-Aug-11 15:45:17

ElseG I hope you change your mind. We're a right old mixture of grannies but we can ill afford to lose someone who is sensible, sensitive and good-natured. I don't know if you were on gransnet when we had issue with a couple of trolls in the early days. I think that there was a suspicion that the Wibble thread might have been another troll and that coloured some people's responses. I haven't seen the thread where you mentioned that you are expecting another grandchild but offer congratulations to you on this one.

Annobel Mon 22-Aug-11 15:58:49

hi Yummygran and welcome. I suppose we are still a smallish community, but expanding. We probably won't ever rival the extent of Mumsnet, but we are a pretty representative bunch. I hope you will find kindred spirits here and maybe a few you can debate with!

GoldenGran Mon 22-Aug-11 16:01:17

Oh ElseGran, don't go,give it another chance, I agree that it can get a bit personal and heated on here, but that is only because there are so many of us with different opinions, and really most of us are having quite intense conversations with people we don't really know. Something written by someone doesn't always reveal the whole person. Stay I think we are on the whole a diverse group of nice caring people smile

janthea Mon 22-Aug-11 16:02:50

yummygran I only joined in May of this year. I have learnt to steer clear of the more contentious subjects, but compared to Mumsnet, we are pussycats!! smile

Gally Mon 22-Aug-11 16:03:35

Else - I didn't see the thread about your grandchild either - How exciting -huge congrats. I find that there are so many threads that I rush from one to the other trying to get the general gist of the chat, but of course miss lots of information in so doing - so sorry for missing that one! blush

jackyann Mon 22-Aug-11 16:24:38

I agree about the mods - are they listening?
However, they have a very difficult job. Some of the posts are not at all offensive by most boards' standards, but they can be upsetting.
Women (we are mostly) who have brought up children, worked in the kind of jobs we've heard about, volunteered, often in difficult situations, and are still supporting others, are often very "attuned" to others' feelings. We are used to considering others, and can indeed, in the nicest way, be super-sensitive.
That also makes us ideal "troll" victims, and of course a "troll" is not easily identified.
I too, worry that someone who needs help might have been "put off". But we are here to do the best we can, not be problem-solvers for the whole world. If someone wants a "generic grans' eye view" they must be prepared for what is said - and there is enough variance of opinion here to give a decent range.
I'm sure we all dive on & off the board as mood, time & circumstances dictate. But it's a good idea to assume that most are friendly & pleasant until proved otherwise. I certainly proffer any advice on the basis of "if it suits, use it, if not, don't worry about it" and take anything I read here on the same basis (and there is a lot of collective wisdom, I am grateful it is being harnessed)

yogagran Mon 22-Aug-11 21:28:04

Stay with us please ElseG I have enjoyed a lot of your posts and appreciate your input.
I too missed the announcement of your new grandchild - so sorry, but sincere congratulations
Come back.... please.....

glassortwo Mon 22-Aug-11 21:48:25

Else I can only apologise for missing your announcement, I know this is like closing the door after the horse has bolted but please accept my congratulations how fantastic to be expecting another GC.

harrigran Mon 22-Aug-11 22:40:07

Welcome Yummygran
Sorry you feel the need to go ElseG but I think you may be a little over sensitive, nobody would deliberately ignore your postings smile

jogginggirl Mon 22-Aug-11 22:54:05

Don't go.............ElseG .........we other sensitive bodies on here need you too xxx

jangly Mon 22-Aug-11 22:58:00

I don't think it is fair to criticise people's posts on other threads.

And I think it is best to be open and up front about what you mean when you make a post.

Its not a good idea to cause other posters to have anxiety.

And you cannot realistically expect people to notice and respond to every personal event you post about. Its not realistic. You need to take some things on the chin. It is only a forum. We actually are complete strangers.

Sorry. Really don't mean to upset you Else. I think you sound a lovely person in real life (having read your profile)

Also we need to be grownup enough to moderate our own posts. GNHQ do not like moderating and I think that's fine. They will delete a post for you if you later really regret something you have posted.

em Tue 23-Aug-11 09:29:09

Morning ElseG - Hope things are back on track with you. It just so happens that I clicked on a thread I hadn't investigated before and lo and behold - there was your announcement about your new GC This is exactly the news we all love to hear of course, but may I gently point out that there were 4 congratulatory posts almost immediately. (So it may just be that you hadn't spotted them.) Hope you enjoy a trouble-free and contented pregnancy - keep us informed!

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 23-Aug-11 09:46:09

Just popping by to say that we've heard your comments and we're happy to take them on board.

Gransnet is a self-moderated site, in that we respond to reports made by our members. It would be impossible for us to read every thread (much as we would love to!), so we rely on our members to let us know when things are going awry. The 'report' button is on the top-right of every post - please feel free to use it! If you feel that a poster may be a troll, or that a thread should be deleted, we'll always take a look to see what is the best way to proceed. If you've got more general issues to raise with us, you can start a discussion in Site Stuff, where we always keep an eye on the latest discussions.

We're very sad that Else has made this decision - she'll be sorely missed. Thanks for the reminder to keep the wine flowing (not that we need it!)

jangly Tue 23-Aug-11 09:57:19

We definitely do not need wine!

And there was nothing offensive in that thread.

The posts were addressed to a spoilt brat.

Baggy Tue 23-Aug-11 10:04:30

We may not need wine, but we do enjoy the odd wine.

jangly Tue 23-Aug-11 10:05:45

Josi - if you said "Oh piss off" to my last post, I don't for one moment blame you. grin

Baggy Tue 23-Aug-11 10:11:20

That's what I was saying, jangles old bean! Can't you tell? wink

GoldenGran Tue 23-Aug-11 10:16:18

jangly and Baggy, please stay on gransnet forever, you always bring a smile to my face grin

greenmossgiel Tue 23-Aug-11 10:22:40

We're all a jumbled-up bundle - each with our own value! (Well, I hope so, anyway...!) Could we liken ourselves to a hen-house? There may be a bit of a pecking-order, but nothing too painful, thankfully! Lots of (sometimes) subdued and companionable cackling! smile

jangly Tue 23-Aug-11 10:23:32

Ok Bags

Why?

Gally Tue 23-Aug-11 10:37:56

Oh crumbs - I'm so confused I can hardly keep up confused

Jacey Tue 23-Aug-11 10:47:58

Sorry greenmossgiel ...I don't understand ..."a bit of a pecking order"?
Do you mean some Gransnetters have more rights? clout?... than perhaps those who are newer to this site? confused

Baggy Tue 23-Aug-11 10:55:08

For the same reason, jangly, that you wouldn't have blamed josie for the thought, with one important difference — she wouldn't even say it jokingly. smile

Mwah!

glassortwo Tue 23-Aug-11 10:55:15

I wouldnt like a clout off any of you grin grin, my mum always threatened to clout me if I was doing something I shouldnt grin