Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not sure where to put this but,

(38 Posts)
granzilla Thu 25-Aug-11 19:52:13

AIBU to say hello.I'm new to the boards but have lurked and occasionaly posted on M'snet.I'm now a fully fledged grandparent of a lovely 2 year old , so may I join you lovely people @ Grandsnet.

JessM Thu 25-Aug-11 19:58:25

Welcome to our newish community granzilla.
We are pretty lovely really.

em Thu 25-Aug-11 20:03:23

Hi granzilla - 2 yearolds are particularly charming little people aren't they!

Baggy Thu 25-Aug-11 20:16:40

Hello, zilla, and welcome!

Gally Thu 25-Aug-11 20:20:46

Yes - welcome Granzilla - you don't have to be eccentric - but it helps!! grin

Anne58 Thu 25-Aug-11 20:26:59

Hello and welcome, from a very intermittent poster!

(Just wish I had more time)

tinfar Thu 25-Aug-11 20:27:04

I have just joined gransnet 3 grandchildren and unfortunately a dil who is very unfriendly and distant and a son who chooses not to try and make things any better so i have been very interested in reading the forums on grans who also have problems (nice to know i am not the only one), but what i would like to know is other members opinion on the newpaper articles that seem to encourage the mil/dil feud an article i have in mind was in one of mondays daily newspapers about sending flowers and the meanings of such flowers one such bunch was to send to people you don't like and the journalist automatically advised as this would be one to send your mother in law perhaps i am being a bit to sensitive but i find these articles upsetting and they always seem to written by women did anyone see this article and if so what did they think

JessM Thu 25-Aug-11 20:44:53

Hello Tinfar. What an interesting first post (?) . I think you are right that there is a lot of stereotyping of MILs. Goes back to the old Les Dawson type jokes maybe? These were about power struggle/competition in the traditional working class family maybe?
I guess there is always a potential power shift when young adults get married and another one when grandchildren arrive.
I agree absolutely that this can be difficult enough without journalists or comedians stirring up enmity between the generations. But there are so many examples e.g. business people are all baddies, or in the American movies all British people are either evil or posh or both. Silly media people and not worth getting upset about though?

greenmossgiel Thu 25-Aug-11 20:51:22

Welcome Granzilla and Tinfar. smile

tinfar Thu 25-Aug-11 21:20:10

You are right when you say not worth getting upset about; journalists do like to stereotype, have to take these articles for what they are tongue in cheek bit hard to do though when you are in a situation i just think here we go again another message to convey that it is quite acceptable & the norm to treat your mil as the enemy thanks for the welcome greenmossgiel

GrannyTunnocks Thu 25-Aug-11 21:25:01

Welcome granzilla and tinpar

Jacey Thu 25-Aug-11 21:27:49

Welcome Granzilla and Tinfar ...there are many friendly and helpful on Gransnet. smile

glassortwo Thu 25-Aug-11 21:33:28

Welcome zilla and tin come and join the mad house smile

gangy5 Thu 25-Aug-11 21:38:47

Welcome Granzilla and Tinfar.
I am an ex Mumsnetter and transferred to here when it started. I occasionally look back at Mumsnet and now can't see why I was so hooked on it. I find everybody much more interesting and likeable on here!!

gangy5 Thu 25-Aug-11 21:41:54

PS. I suppose it's something to do with being within the right age group although I do like to think that I'm not out of touch with younger folks. Having just written the post previously, it sounds as though I must be!!

Notsogrand Thu 25-Aug-11 21:48:11

Hello zilla and tin! smile

Libradi Thu 25-Aug-11 21:49:19

Welcome granzilla and tinfar. great to have you here.

glammanana Thu 25-Aug-11 21:56:20

Hi to granzilla and tinfar hoping you will enjoy some of our virtual day's out don't be to shocked at our antic's we are a mad lot when the vino gets flowing.

jogginggirl Thu 25-Aug-11 22:05:17

Hello granzilla and tinfar lovely to 'meet' you wink - welcome..........

harrigran Thu 25-Aug-11 23:06:59

Welcome granzilla and tinfar you are in for an interesting time on Gransnet smile

granzilla Fri 26-Aug-11 09:17:27

Thank you all for such a warm and friendly welcome.

janthea Fri 26-Aug-11 09:43:33

Welcome granzilla and tinfar. I only joined in May, but found everyone very friendly.

glassortwo Fri 26-Aug-11 09:49:11

janthea not seen you for a while, are you ok?

janreb Fri 26-Aug-11 11:23:41

Welcome granzilla and tinfar - join the madhouse!!

absentgrana Fri 26-Aug-11 16:50:21

Hi granzilla and tinfar I hope you enjoy yourselves here. Half an hour looking at the postings on gransnet ought destroy anyone's blind acceptance of stereotypes – whether of grannies, in-laws or pretty much anything else.