Gransnet forums

AIBU

Birthdays

(118 Posts)
goldengirl Sat 27-Aug-11 18:11:01

It’s my birthday next week and I’m not looking forward to it. Not because I’m yet another year older, but because I feel I'm expected to have a good time. Am I just a miserable old bag or do other GNs feel the same?

Hattie64 Sat 27-Aug-11 18:22:57

I know what you mean, mine is on the 12th. What I do enjoy is that two of my children and grandchildren come to visit, the third is in Australia. My children really expect though to have a good time, well why not, I say, but I have to organise something for both days and invite others along as well. Blimey I sound like a right misery and I'm not at all, it is the high expectations that always worry me.

glammanana Sat 27-Aug-11 18:44:34

Hattie64 it's mine on 13th I was born on a Friday as everyone keeps reminding me,I know what you mean about the organising you are worn out by the time you have finished,last year was a big celebration as I was 60 but this year will be very low key,why do the year's seem to be going by so quickly ? best wishes for next week golden

Bellesnan Sat 27-Aug-11 19:02:12

Had my 67th birthday on the 23rd as mentioned in previous thread - felt ok until daughter mentioned in passing that I was nearly 70!

glammanana Sat 27-Aug-11 19:11:08

They are priceless our DCs aren't they Bellesnan ?

JessM Sat 27-Aug-11 20:26:44

I think we make too much fuss of grownups birthdays. But maybe if I had a bunch of people that all made a fuss of me on mine I might feel different smile
Glad to have got over the hurdle of my 60th this year... mini life crisis time.
I notice that since the recession we have fewer 11.00pm firework displays in aid of, I assume, grownup birthdays in my area. A few years ago they were quite common.

riclorian Sat 27-Aug-11 20:32:41

Nothing wrong with being 70 Bellesnan,it is just a number !!I have always found there is something to enjoy about every age . So forget it and make t
he most of it !![]
Sorry I tried very hard to put in a smiley face , so you'll have to believe me I AM smiling !

riclorian Sat 27-Aug-11 20:34:33

PS I have been to my Great grand daughter's birthday party today -- will she still be smiling whan she reaches 70 ?

artygran Sat 27-Aug-11 20:58:12

I don't mind the age thing - I just have never liked parties, especially those given for me. There was a surprise party for my 50th and whilst it was all very nice, I would rather have been somewhere else. I am 65 this year and DS thinks we should have a bash, but I have told him I will leave the country if he does! I agree with Hattie64 - the high expectations worry me too! Have a party, and enjoy it; just don't invite me!

goldengirl Sat 27-Aug-11 21:03:04

My 6 year old GD is preparing a 'surprise' party for me! She loves organising things and I haven't the heart to stop her, so up with it I will put.

Annobel Sat 27-Aug-11 21:04:35

The family gave me such a great 70th party that I'm composing the guest list for my 80th - in 9 years' time! Jess there are always fireworks for my birthday - Nov 5th!

goldengirl Sat 27-Aug-11 21:58:33

I must admit to having three memorable birthdays: (1) my 21st I spent temping in a super company - very friendly - during my college vacation. My nan sent me a cake and I went out with a group of friends including my fiance [now my DH] + cake to a Chinese restaurant in the evening where we had a really good time. I had found myself a bedsit and my landlady was horrified that I was spending my 21st away from home and brought me some plums from her garden grin (2) my 50th included a trip on Concorde and (3) my 60th was my visit to Sydney to meet my dad's half brother he never knew he had.

artygran Sat 27-Aug-11 22:04:21

Annobel my birthday Nov 4th! As a child, I always had a bonfire birthday party on the 5th, so fireworks for me too!

Faye Sat 27-Aug-11 22:52:45

Happy Birthday for next week, goldengirl. Your GD sounds like lots of fun. It is probably the first of many parties that she will plan for you!!!

Annobel Sun 28-Aug-11 07:55:11

Me too, Arty, after the war finished. The week I was born, the Luftwaffe provided the fireworks bombing the Clyde shipyards!

goldengirl Sun 28-Aug-11 11:45:24

Thanks, Faye. It's the 3rd birthday party for me she's organised - she's done others as well! As I say she's a born organiser, the Middletons will have to watch out!!!! grin

em Sun 28-Aug-11 12:02:39

My DD1 was delighted when we were on holiday in France and beautiful fireworks displays were organised just for her. Her birthday is 14July.

janreb Sun 28-Aug-11 13:43:50

My birthday is at Christmas so has always been a bit of an afterthought. When my brother reached 60 ( his birthday is New Year's Eve) his family organised a surprise party in a restaurant- he took one look at the scene and walked out. As it was NYE there were plenty of other people to use up all the food - and the cake.

Gally Sun 28-Aug-11 14:14:42

I love organising parties - just wish someone would do one for me some time! As an only child, my Mum used to push the boat out and give me fantastic parties and I did the same for my girls when they were small. My birthday was in May and I still haven't had a present from Mr G - ever hopefulsad. This summer I organised a big get-together in France for our daughters, their husbands and the grandchildren as an early birthday celebration for Mr G who has a Big birthday coming up in November. We had a lovely time and I am now trying to decide what to do on the actual day. When I was 60 I treated 9 of my great friends to a Afternoon Tea at a posh hotel -great fun, but a visit from one of my daughters would have been better (admittedly 2 of them were abroad and the other one too busy) It was a bit gutting to see all the photos of Daughter No 1's MIL's 60th party soon after with DN1 doing all the organising and my/our Grandaughter taking centre stageenvy. I suppose I have never really grown up - spoilt only child syndrome maybe? To all of you who have birthdays coming up - HAPPY BIRTHDAY. wine

mrshat Sun 28-Aug-11 18:19:04

I agree about the pressure/expectation to have a good time and enjoy the day. DD1 organised a big joint party for my 60th,DH's 65th and DD2's 30th. I dreaded the thought of the whole thing and was fortified by a few wine before getting to the venue. It was a wonderful evening and enjoyed by all but the worry about the whole thing was awful. The pressure is now on me to organise a 'big party' for DH next year as he will be 70! It is the last thing in the world he would want but their idea is that life is too short not to celebrate everything and usually quote 'me' back to me e.g. 'these times will never come again'. So who do I upset - DH or DDs? confused

MrsJamJam Sun 28-Aug-11 18:31:57

My DH will also be 70 next year and we both have a horror of big parties, so have booked ourselves a very special holiday (cruise down, or possibly its up, the Nile).

Then we have promised the children that we will take the whole family out for a really slap-up lunch on the actual day, which fortunately falls on a Sunday. Funny how its us who have to foot the bill, which includes overnight hotel for the family who live too far away!

When they have big birthdays, the expectation is that we will provide at least a case of wine for their party!

elderflower1 Sun 28-Aug-11 22:55:51

Same here [MrsJamJam] we pay for our own birthday parties and theirs. He ho just glad we can do it.

Libradi Mon 29-Aug-11 09:54:47

I do enjoy birthdays but must admit to not being a fan of big parties, I prefer to spend them with my family. Having said that I spent my 40th in London for the weekend with just DH and my 50th in Padstow with DH (my treat was a meal at Rick Steins Seafood Restaurant). We did celebrate with the family afterwards so had best of both worlds.

mrshat Mon 29-Aug-11 15:02:47

Yes, MrsJamJam - Exactly! We are away tomorrow for a few days to mark our 40th anniversary, hoping to avoid any 'surprise' celebration and like you, we have promised the family a slap up meal when we get back. Naturally, we will be paying! Already booked! Unfortunately, DH cannot fly far just now and hates flying as he has got older, so where to go for his 70th next year, lord only knows. However pleased they want to have/join in celebrations smile

glammanana Mon 29-Aug-11 15:18:05

Same here MrsJamJam when DH had his 50th birthady 15yrs ago we took DD and DGCs to the Canarie's for a fortnight's holiday and he worked out it was cheaper than paying for a party for people he either did not like or did not see from one year to the next.