Gransnet forums

AIBU

Birthdays

(119 Posts)
goldengirl Sat 27-Aug-11 18:11:01

It’s my birthday next week and I’m not looking forward to it. Not because I’m yet another year older, but because I feel I'm expected to have a good time. Am I just a miserable old bag or do other GNs feel the same?

MrsJamJam Mon 29-Aug-11 15:54:47

We had a wonderful meal at Rick Stein's, Libradi. Not cheap (that's an understatement), but we still remember it and revisit the memory.

Don't recommend Padstow in August - very overcrowded.

Divawithattitude Mon 29-Aug-11 16:53:38

We only ever go to Padstow out of season - same with St Ives and in fact most of the seaside places that are popular in Cornwall!

em Mon 29-Aug-11 23:12:17

For my 60th I invited the family and partners for a meal in our favourite Italian restaurant. However, when I asked for the bill I found that the family had already settled it. That was a lovely surprise as I had debit card at the ready and was happy to pay. They said it was because I had insisted that I didn't want presents.

Jangran Tue 30-Aug-11 14:38:35

The adults in my family no longer buy each other birthday presents or have separate celebrations. We just buy cards and make 'phone calls.

But each year, during the school holidays, the 10 of us (six adults; four children) go for a Birthday Weekend at Centerparcs. During that weekend, we have "candles and cake", and everyone (including the children), gets "Happy Birthday" sung to them in order of their birthdays that year. We call it our official family birthday. The weekend is the highspot of the children's year, and the adults enjoy it almost as much.

It is not exactly cheaper than six parties or dinners or whateve, but it is much more fun.

Jacey Tue 30-Aug-11 16:18:37

What a lovely idea Jangran ...a bit like an un-birthday. Which Disney character have I dragged that from? confused

goldengirl Wed 31-Aug-11 21:06:34

I survived my birthday after all grin - and enjoyed it! Spent the morning doing what I wanted to do, went out in the afternoon for a cream tea with a group I belong to, had fun at Pilates and then went home for the 'surprise' party attended by all the family which involved a McDonalds hmm and a puppet show by the 'organiser' of the event and her little brother. Great fun. And a cake made by the GC as well. A really nice time. The only thing is I could see myself not only acting like my mother but sounding like her too!!!!!!!! shock

Jacey Wed 31-Aug-11 21:17:37

Happy Birthday goldengirl wine

GoldenGran Wed 31-Aug-11 21:27:06

Happy Birthday goldengirl glad it was better than you feared and that you had fun. {grin}{wine}

glammanana Wed 31-Aug-11 21:30:35

Very happy birthday wishes to you goldengirl it's a bit late but i have felt a bit fluie to-day so have been having a day on the settee and feet up with nice hot cuppa's

GoldenGran Wed 31-Aug-11 21:34:07

glammanana hope you feel better tomorrow. If you go to the quiet corner you will find Baggy has left some of her bread plus some butter, that my go nicely with your{brew}.{smile}

GoldenGran Wed 31-Aug-11 21:35:39

I'll try again! brew smile

glammanana Wed 31-Aug-11 21:58:20

Thank's golden I have been spoilt by DH to-day and DD has been a little treasure and ironed all the washing (so I may be off colour to-morrow) but thank's for the invitation to the quiet corner but I don't want to spread all my germ's to all the other GNersxx.think I will have hot chocolate and a nice BIG helping of brandy,purely medicinal

harrigran Wed 31-Aug-11 22:16:16

Happy Birthday goldengirl the party sounded lovely. Know what you mean about sounding like your mother, I can it hear it in my own voice.

elizabethjoan Wed 31-Aug-11 22:42:57

mrshat.......definitely just do good hol for you two, and in fine style. If your lovely family wish to contribute and give you the trip, so much the better. I was in a little trouble for about a day and a half over not wanting a 60th bash. Son and daughter v keen. But it gets so complicated! I couldn't be bothered.
Had family for very good chinese carry out. Me and husband went to London for 2 musicals. Everyone quite happy!

Oldgreymare Wed 31-Aug-11 23:10:56

An exceedingly late Happy Birthday goldengirl....
Hope you feel better soon Glammanana.... try whiskey, honey and hot water, not too much hot water tho! Warms the cockles of your heart (whatever that means).

glassortwo Thu 01-Sep-11 08:51:44

Happy belated birthday golden sounds like you had the best party eversmile

Sook Thu 01-Sep-11 13:52:59

I always had a dread of my birthday much prefering to keep it low key. However the last couple of years I've organised my own birthday celebrations using the occaison to have a special day out with the people I love most, my husband, sons, dils and gd. Lovely memories to cherish. However I would hate a surprise party as I don't enjoy being the centre of attention.

goldengirl Thu 01-Sep-11 17:03:21

Thank you all for your good wishes wine Here's to the next 63 years grin!

Annobel Thu 01-Sep-11 19:20:28

Sorry, GG, I seem to have been out of this loop for a few days. Congrats on another year safely negotiated and I'm glad you had such a jolly party with the family. Leaves you with a nice warm feeling, doesn't it?

Aww, Sook, what's wrong with being the centre of attention for a change? It's what we, Mums and Grans, deserve. Bask in it while you can, say I!

GadaboutGran Fri 02-Sep-11 16:32:26

My birthday is in January in the after Christmas/NY gloomy period so people either forget or give unwanted presents or sales goods. I'm happy if my kids ring in the morning, so I'm not wondering all day if they've remembered, and if I have some candles to blow out. For my 60th I invited a few old college friends who hadn't been together for 40 years for lunch at a restaurant and then my beloved booked a hotel room in London for 2 days so we could just wander around and the weather didn't matter. My kids took me to the Lanesborough, Hyde Park Coner, for a posh afternoon tea followed by tickets for the Cirque de Soleil. I fed off the warm feelings and memories for a long time after. I don't think I'll wait for my 70th - I'm letting it be known I'm now celebrating the birthdays ending in 5s too. Beloved hates any fuss at any time, so I'll just have his share as well. A surprise party, or any big gathering, is his idea of hell.

Jangran Sat 03-Sep-11 11:45:04

Jacey - I am not sure whether "unbirthdays" have any Disney connection, but I think it comes from Lewis Carroll's Humpty Dumpty in "Through the Looking Glass."

But no, it is not an "unbirthday party" - it is the family's "official birthday" - like the queen!

We tell the little ones that we are the only people in the country, other than HM, to have an official birthday.

nen Sat 03-Sep-11 16:16:47

Hello all, new to forum . Big 60 next year everyone keeps saying what you doing for your birthday ! Be glad when it's past dint like a fuss , nen

Baggy Sat 03-Sep-11 16:20:41

Hear, hear, nen and welcome to gransnet! I'm not much of a party animal either, especially if I'm expected to do anything! A quiet glass of champagne at home and a piece of cake is sufficient for me. Of course I like getting birthday cards. Don't we all? And my friends seem to have a knack of choosing pertinent ones, which is especially nice. smile

glammanana Sat 03-Sep-11 16:30:00

nen welcome to gransnet I had my 60th last yr it came and went with no fuss just small gathering in garden,am on way to the next one now and will be celebrating that next week with no fuss at all,think I will start counting backward's from now on

Sook Sat 03-Sep-11 17:08:05

Annobel Oh no I could curl up and die at the thought of it as basically I am very shy. But who knows that may change with the next decade approaching fast!