Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not to want night wear that says *im as soft as pink candy" or chase me!!

(51 Posts)
bikergran Sun 28-Aug-11 15:00:34

.......well! I though I would go and treat my self to some night attire! hmm!
popped down to Matalan..found the right department and proceeded to mooch amongst the nighties/Pyjamas...well!! the first one I picked up I thought ohh yes there ok...then looked at the the top only to find it said...
" im like pink sugar candy"! then next one.." lets snuggle up" I thought ok move further down the rack! .. " babe" also as I walked in I was accosted by not one but 2 male employees thrusting some balloons in my face and asking did I want to donate to N.S.P.C.C. well...yes I do pop money in various charity boxes...but then when they ask me AGAIN as I happen to pass then to look at some other things! grrr.......... I could see other people were uncomfortable at being asked quite loudly do they want to donate! in the end I just put my basket down and walked out.
as for the night attire I also gave up..(dont want to be giving hubby any ideas lol lol)>...shock] so .....am I right in demanding night attired without sujestive logos sprawled accross them...? Im off to take some Bachs stress remedy now...smile hope everyone is doing ok..I absconded for a while.lol. so have soem cathing up to do.so little time so much to read...smile

elizabethjoan Wed 21-Sep-11 21:37:08

I got a couple of grandad - neckline style knee length shirts in Zara last year. Lovely fine cotton, and only button a little way down. I think they were marketed as beach coverups. For me it has to cover arms and shoulders as I kick off duvet and get stiff muscles! Hate feeling constricted.

Annobel Sun 11-Sep-11 16:25:45

I've given up on dressing gowns. Instead, I put on a fleece jumper and a pair of fleece trousers in winter; in summer, a pair of joggers and a cotton 'hoodie'. All fine for opening the door to the postman.

HildaW Sun 11-Sep-11 15:50:00

Nanban, I too hate typical high street dressing gowns and hit on a generous all enveloping cotton Kaftan in a dark but flattering blue/green mix of colours. Its great beacause if you do have to answer the door you dont look as if you have been caught in bed or having a daytime bath, which I find jolly embarrasing for some reason. Instead you are fully covered, look quite stylish and just a bit exotic. I am now looking for a deepest winter alternative, a wool mix would be nice!

Nanban Sat 10-Sep-11 21:02:03

I'd like a dressing gown that doesn't rely on a belt only, of which there are racks and racks in every conceivable colour and textile, but one that doesn't look like something my Gt Grannie might have worn in her care home!

HildaW Thu 08-Sep-11 17:45:45

Good for you Acheron, if you cant be a bit of a rebel when it comes to nightwear, when can you be?

Acheron Thu 08-Sep-11 15:53:21

With Winter fast approaching time to buy some long tartan flannel lounging pants and long sleeve tops. I bite the bullet and look at nightwear designed for the teens/20s age group. The stuff is cosy and comfortable and if it's mutton dressed as lamb as long as the husband doesn't care and I'm warm what does it matter.

HildaW Wed 07-Sep-11 16:15:01

My pet hate is the horrid pastel shades that most folk seem to use. Have just ordered some jolly nice looking longsleeved organic cotton PJs from John Lewis. One set navy the other a deep plum colour, much more flattering for the mature complection at 6 am.

gma Wed 07-Sep-11 09:43:15

Well JessM that all depends on a couple of details.........blush
They are quite long though!!!!

JessM Wed 07-Sep-11 09:21:53

Hey good tips. Are they long enough to cover my backside?
I bought a cotton khaki jacket with no lining once from Primark. Perfect summer wardrobe item for hot flush person. I have put nicer buttons on it. I leant it to my DIL when she was pregnant 7 years ago. I am still wearing it.

gma Wed 07-Sep-11 09:15:23

Nightshirts in Primark, Various designs,100% Cotton, No Slogans and decent length..and only £4.00!! I bought one last week and I'm going back for another one!!! Washes brilliantly, advise you not to tumble though. What a bargain.

The best dressing gown that I ever had comes from Primark, cosy and full length, and washes like a dream, and just plain blue!!!

You do need to look carefully at their products though. When they are good they are brilliant and when they are not they are rubbish!!! smile

nannasarah Wed 31-Aug-11 15:33:38

Like harrigran I went to Sainsburys.Got a lovely pink and white nightie
in decent length for £10.M and S also do some mid length ones when you
can find them.

greenmossgiel Mon 29-Aug-11 20:09:45

Watch with Count Dracula - your inflatable friends are likely to collapse if he sinks his gnashers into their necks....!grin

bikergran Mon 29-Aug-11 19:18:01

glad others think the same..begining to think I was getting prudish lol..........

bikergran Mon 29-Aug-11 19:15:24

lol yes but!!! the guilt crept in! so I am taking hubby to Whitby !!
going to hunt out Count Dracula...........offer him some wine hmm? wonder if I have room to pack my inflatable friends smile

greenmossgiel Mon 29-Aug-11 18:28:26

You'll have had a lovely time and it'll have done you the power of good! grin

bikergran Mon 29-Aug-11 17:50:53

Hi greenmossgiel waving yes thanks (well a well as one can expect) been helping daughter move..etc have really missed gransnet....went to Llandudno with daughter and grandson for 2 days last week..loved it!!! 1st time I have ever gone away without hubby!!! smile..............

glammanana Mon 29-Aug-11 14:52:00

The nighties and pjs at Matalan where all as you said biker I had to go this morning for some present's for DSs partner for her birthday and thought I would treat myself to some new pj's as hospital appointment due soon,I ended up buying a pack of strappy top's and just a pair of matching bottom's as the slogan's are just not my taste.M&S have a nice selection in a good cotton I got some there last month with a knee length wrap to match.

GoldenGran Mon 29-Aug-11 14:07:29

I forgot to say that, like gally I don't usually wear anything, but in addition to when I go away, I now wear them when the Grandchildren are staying,in case I need to go in to them at night-I don't want to add to the nightmaresgrin

Gally Mon 29-Aug-11 13:59:17

I don't wear a stitch in bed unless it's absolutely freezing, but for modesty when away, I have a rather fetching pair of grey 'leisure' pants and long sleeved top, courtesy of Quantas - they dish them out on long-haul flights and very comfy they are too - thoroughly recommend them! grin

GoldenGran Mon 29-Aug-11 13:54:21

I buy nighties or pyjamas at TKMax, and I often find the long tee shirt kind there. My last purchase was a very soft grey short sleeved knee length tee shirt style. Can't stand see through clingy or anything "cutesy"!

Mamie Mon 29-Aug-11 13:50:48

OH had to go into hospital recently here in France. We bought the most discreet looking grey pyjamas we could find. Unfortunately we had forgotten how the French like to put English words that they don't really understand on clothing. When we opened the packet the short pyjama bottoms had NO RISK written across the front.

supernana Mon 29-Aug-11 12:14:25

I like wearing knee-length tartan night-shirts in softest cotton with three quarter sleeves or baggy well worn T-shirts with a pair of white Sloggi pants [just in case a fireman has to throw me over his shoulder!] wink I loathe frills and flounces, anything see-through, especially black, and anything bearing saucy slogans.

Annobel Mon 29-Aug-11 11:37:50

Very pretty, baggy. I've bookmarked it for future reference. Just looked in my nightie drawer which is overflowing with garments that just won't wear out.

harrigran Mon 29-Aug-11 11:36:19

www.woods-online.co.uk sell all types of underwear and nightwear and I can usually find something there.

Baggy Mon 29-Aug-11 10:55:45

This site also has cotton nighties. I've had other products from them, including PJs, and can vouch for the quality.

www.elmhouseproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Nightdresses_Nightshirts_Pyjamas_and_Bedding.html