Gransnet forums

AIBU

Personal space

(97 Posts)
goldengirl Thu 01-Sep-11 17:30:11

Personal space is important to me.
When I’m in my study I don’t mind being interrupted for a reason but I don’t like people coming in without knocking
I don’t mind showing anyone my prized possessions, but I don’t like them being touched without permission
When I’m quietly getting on with something elsewhere in the house, I don’t like people wondering out loud where I am when it’s not urgent
I love hearing news but I don’t like people trying to talk me through the bathroom door.
I don’t mind sharing designated areas but I don’t like encroachment on to what I consider mine

Is personal space important to you?

shysal Thu 08-Sep-11 09:30:01

jangly the ironing board and being messy was the least of my problems, just an example.We grew apart, living in separate parts of the house , which was not good.We got on a lot better after the divorce until he re-married and new wife cannot tolerate me, which has ruined family events. She shouted abuse at me at my last grandchild's christening! I had had visions of us being friends - silly me.confused

jangly Thu 08-Sep-11 09:50:28

Its all in the phrasing shysal. grin

harrigran Thu 08-Sep-11 10:54:16

shysal you must be a saint to tolerate a person so ignorant that they vent their spleen in public. Keeping one's cool makes the perpetrator look ludicrous.

jangly Thu 08-Sep-11 12:21:52

baggier

Baggy Thu 08-Sep-11 12:27:06

Nonsense, jangly! My drawers are perfectly neat and woody.

jangly Thu 08-Sep-11 12:30:06

Ah, but everone's read my version now.

Who will they believe???

jangly Thu 08-Sep-11 12:30:52

You need to bump all of yours in a row.

Mine was easier.

jangly Thu 08-Sep-11 12:31:26

Woody????? confused

Baggy Thu 08-Sep-11 12:39:24

Yes. My chest of drawers is made of wood. Definitely not baggy, though the clothes inside it may be.

You need to bump twenty-two more to achieve The Purpose.

Baggy Thu 08-Sep-11 12:39:47

But don't go annoying people. wink

jangly Thu 08-Sep-11 12:56:29

Oh. Clever clogs! hmm

22!!! shock I'm not playing. I'm going home. And I'm taking my ball with me.

jangly Thu 08-Sep-11 12:58:11

don't go annoying people

he he he

As if smile

absentgrana Thu 08-Sep-11 13:24:57

I think I must be quite lucky. Mr absent and I spend almost all our time together and other people always express concern on the occasions when they see only one of us in case the other is ill. However, I am still working so am often closeted away in my office at the top of the house while he is happily bumbling around downstairs. At the moment he is working on another house that we are refurbishing, but I haven't been able to help for a couple of months because I have had a lot of work. Consequently, we are even more pleased to see each other in the evening. However, I would like another sitting room so I can sit and read while he watches television. As it is, I tend to go to bed fairly early so that I can read peacefully, but that's not ideal.

booboo Sat 10-Sep-11 11:43:34

How I envy all those with their own study. My partner and I have a study but it is so full of books and other junk you can hardly get in there. I crave some time and space to myself. So was looking forward to next weekend when my partner is going away BUT guess what? My daughter is so worried about me being on my own all weekend that she has decided to come and stay with her two small boys.
BLISS!

yogagran Sat 10-Sep-11 13:34:00

Oh dear booboo - I quite understand how you were looking forward to a weekend of peace and quiet but what can you say when DD is concerned about you being on your own. Can't really turn round and say "no thanks" can you!

goldengirl Sat 10-Sep-11 15:52:36

DH used to go away quite a lot - still does, but not so frequently - and at first my children used to call and ensure I'm alright or pop round. Whilst I appreciated their concern I did / do enjoy pottering around how and when I like and they've come to understand that and respect it. Hopefully, that will happen to you booboo but it might take time. I know I can ring if I need to - and did ring my son out law when my TV popped and there was a smell of burning!!!

JessM Sat 10-Sep-11 18:57:25

I'm having an interesting weekend home alone. I am alone in this house in the week, far, far more than I would like to be. Trying to finish that darn book.
I could have gone with DH to his mums (his weekend) but elected to stay here. It is very interesting, having a "day off" at home, on my own. It is making me think about how I cope with it in the week... Not sure why it feels different. But I am having a nice time! On my own. ( it is not that he is demanding or high maintenance when he is here, bless him)

artygran Sun 11-Sep-11 08:03:08

I rarely get any time to myself these days - DH always at home, now retired, never wants to do anything without me. But I am not complaining - our oldest friend died suddenly recently and his wife is now having a tough time adjusting to life without his company when they should have had a happy and prosperous retirement in front of them. It was sobering for me. Having said that, I wish that when my son comes down once a fortnight to go to the football with DH, my daughter in law didn't feel it necessary to come and "keep me company"! I haven't got the bottle to tell them that I'd rather have an afternoon to myself!

JessM Sun 11-Sep-11 09:28:16

Oh dear. That must be difficult having him as your permanent shadow. Have you tried a serious talk about the need to have at least one "separate interest" Or any chance your son could drag him off to do something now and again? Not at all unreasonable.

glassortwo Sun 11-Sep-11 09:49:46

My DH and I live with DD,SIL and GC and I crave for a little time on my own, when we were living in our own house I spent a lot of time just pottering around and loved my own company. But I find I now crave for a little of my own company but it is difficult to say give me some space!

Never mind they are at work,school and nursery next week so at least I have 9am to 12 in solitude ohh bliss.

harrigran Sun 11-Sep-11 11:12:01

One of the reasons I asked for small sitting room to be built into extension, I would like to make it a comfortable quiet room without TV that I can retreat to. My DH switches TV on when he gets up on a morning and walks away and leaves it on, very irritating. The TV has now been fixed so that it automatically switches off when remote has not been used for a while, result smile