Gransnet forums

AIBU

Its refreshing to know that you are not the only one, thankgoodness for gransnet!

(54 Posts)
bikergran Mon 05-Sep-11 07:51:25

After much trawling/lurking through gransnet over the last few months..it is refreshing to know that others have the same problems/feelings/worries /happiness! etc etc that one have has.........!

wether it be worries about money/granchildren/relationships/personal space/feelings/bereavment etc I could go on forever.......

to think that there are others out there with the same problems and that you are not alone and in your own little world and if any of us have a problem or need to let of steam, we will not be chatised or slagged off. we will have advice independant advice from others (maybe wiser lol) some times when reading about other peoples problems then your own seem so trivial,

I love lurking around gransnet I spend so much time reading the posts I forget to post myself lol...lol

soooooooo long live gransnet and all who sail in her cheers everyone
whooooooops wine forgot its only 8-00am cough! brew

bikergran Tue 06-Sep-11 19:38:57

here here Hattie64 wine

glammanana cant find mop bucket...but got 5 gallon plastic water carrier used to use it when caravaning......ist 3/4 full so hope thats enough for you..have put a hose in so just turn the tap on when ready... 5 mins and you will be destressed lol...lol.10 mins ! and you won't remember being! stressed lol....smile enjoy............night all im shattered today off to bed soon...... smile

Hattie64 Tue 06-Sep-11 19:29:20

What I enjoy is the fact that we are mainly all the same age, knocking on a bit, only slightly mind you. Posters are also very free and open with their problems, no beating about the bush, even when there are a few difficult dil out there!!! and everybody seems to have a good sense of humour, because we are mainly women on here.

glammanana Tue 06-Sep-11 19:15:16

biker any old bucket will do as long as it doesn't have a hole in it, oh I feel a party song coming on.

bikergran Tue 06-Sep-11 19:02:32

oh yes hello faith cheers wine

bikergran Tue 06-Sep-11 19:01:38

winewine wine for glassortwo (couldnt find large glass so heres 3 small ones lol....
hmm looking for large! bucket suitable for glammanana ( just rooting under stairs for mop bucket! grin
wine for Annobel enjoy all smile

Annobel Tue 06-Sep-11 18:52:16

Thanks, biker, a wee snifter would be very acceptable!

glammanana Tue 06-Sep-11 18:30:11

biker can I be greedy and have a bucketful please,I'm feeling rather stressed to-day,and a warm welcome to faith nice to hear from you

glassortwo Tue 06-Sep-11 18:09:52

biker make mine a large one wink

bikergran Tue 06-Sep-11 18:05:31

hmm.....glass of wine or brew anyone...... smile

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 14:25:17

Yes - I've already said that jess. No real need to repeat it back at me!

JessM Tue 06-Sep-11 14:20:56

No you don't have to read them, or post on them, Jangly, if personal problems are not your thing. Which is not to say that sometimes a good answer is "Yes you are being unreasonable and this is why I think you are..." Rather than a chorus of "poor you"s.

I think people join this forum because they are, to some extent, a bit lonely or isolated (maybe they don't know other granparents for instance) and that it can be a solace for some or a place to let of steam for others.
I have noticed that the number of members is increasing steadily, after a bit of a slow period, and that the number of active threads is growing all the time. There are some that I never look at because they are not one of my areas of interest (e.g. sewing or crafts)
It was kind of cosy when there were just a few regular posters, but it is good to see it growing and getting more varied.
Yes it is addictive and i need to get on and do some other things...

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 14:05:22

I did say there should always be a place for mutual support. I guess I don't want to see too many threads along the lines of "I'm hard done by by dil". But that's just me and I don't have to read them.

Just not too keen on smug and complacent. Sort of a group hug all the time.

Again, just me.

Annobel Tue 06-Sep-11 14:01:32

jangly, having looked at the diversity of forums and threads, I can't imagine that we are ever going to risk becoming too narrow!

greenmossgiel Tue 06-Sep-11 13:51:12

Hello faith! Good to meet you - be warned , it's hard to get off here, without just having to have a wee peek now and again (often)! jangly, do you not think that we're being quite careful not to become 'narrow'? What's your particular worry about how things may go? I don't think we share whinges. Don't you think it's a case of when worries/concerns bother us, that it's a good way to find out each others' slant on them?

jangly Tue 06-Sep-11 08:37:17

It would be sad, though, if Gransnet just became a place to share each other's whinges.

I appreciate we do have common feelings as Grans, and there should always be a place for mutual support, but we surely don't want to get too narrow in our subjects.

Faye Tue 06-Sep-11 01:37:39

Welcome Faith, there are only three of us so far (that we know of) from Australia and I think one from China, nice to see someone from the US. Gransnet is too interesting and last weekend when I had no internet access I have to admit I wondered what was going on on... confused
Have a lovely holiday Mrs Jamjam!!! smile

em Mon 05-Sep-11 23:37:02

Hi Faith. I'm aware of grans in Australia and on the continent but you are the first from the USA that I've spotted - sorry if I missed anyone! Welcome but be warned- GN can be totally addictive. To Mrs Jamjam - bon voyage!

Grumpyoldwoman Mon 05-Sep-11 23:17:20

Hi Faith ..pleased to say it is much cooler here in Scotland ..I really don't do heat !!!!! Welcome xxsmile

Notsogrand Mon 05-Sep-11 23:09:36

Hello faith, nice to meet you. smile

glassortwo Mon 05-Sep-11 23:07:39

Hello faith welcome to gransnet smile

harrigran Mon 05-Sep-11 22:53:43

Welcome faith, I think you will find gransnet entertaining smile

bikergran Mon 05-Sep-11 21:03:56

have a brill time Mrs Jamjam where ever your going and whenever...
absoloutley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! down here on Oswaldtwistle lancashire lol....... yuk!!

faith Mon 05-Sep-11 18:42:25

Thanks grannyactivist. I am afraid I do have an addictive personality!

faith Mon 05-Sep-11 18:39:43

Have a good trip MrsJamjam

grannyactivist Mon 05-Sep-11 18:23:40

Hello faith and welcome. If you have an addictive personality you'd best leave now or resign yourself to becoming a Gransnet junkie like the rest of us.grin