Gransnet forums

AIBU

help!

(32 Posts)
olliesgran Sat 10-Sep-11 13:36:07

We have Daughter and GS living with us. GS is 16 months. Lovely baby, likes a lot of sleep, full night (7.30-6) + 2 naps a day, eats well. D decided that 2 naps was the reason GS got up a 6 am, too early for HER to get up. So she has been trying to only let him have 1 nap per day. She has succeeded, as he now wakes up at 7 am. But the new routine means that he is too tired at meal times, and food battles have started. D think they are inevitable, as all her friends are going through this, we firmly believe that a tired baby is a recipe for disaster as far as meals are concerned. I have kept my mouth shut so far, but any suggestion as to what, if anything, I could say? It breaks my heart to see so much anguish for both of them, for no reason whatsoever. What's wrong with 6 am waking time? And he keeps himself amused in his cot for up to 45 minutes, without crying!

Carol Thu 09-Feb-12 15:53:51

Some children just need lots of cuddles and close proximity to their mum. One of my twin daughters cried constantly and was only content when I was nursing her, but she turned out just fine - a very happy, optimistic girl who takes life in her stride. I wouldn't speculate about personality development just because a child cries more or is in need of constant attention - there are too many variables that impact on their development.

Greatnan Fri 10-Feb-12 23:02:09

The BMJ report was very tentative about cause and effect - but they suggest that it is possible that some underlying problem could be the cause of both continual crying in infancy and behavioural problems later.

bagitha Sat 11-Feb-12 06:18:21

You know, I think some of us might have worked that out without the help of the BMJ hmm.

JessM Sat 11-Feb-12 07:00:57

You don't say how old he is suewarks . Sounds like his mum has "made a rod for her own back" but most mums do that at some stage. The idea of having a teddy or blankie that he starts to associate with going to sleep is a good one. I think an early child psychologist called them "transitional objects" in other words they act as a stand in for mum. So it might help if she selects something that is portable, washable and preferably replaceable (If they get attached to one unique toy and then lose it when they are 2 or 3, it's a major bereavement!) - e.g. choose 2 small microfibre blankets or identical rabbits, swap them round so that they can be washed.
Then when she is cuddling him, always use the designated love object. Hopefully then in a little while it will become an acceptable stand in.
I am quite fond of lambie and peeshy, my GK's love objects, myself!

Carol Sat 11-Feb-12 08:08:56

Spot on Jess. One of my grandsons has two Mister Teds (the second was given to his brother, but he's attached to other soft toys). Mister Ted is a great stand-in as a source of security. When he arrives at my house, he hands over Mister Ted ('there you go, nana!' You can mind him') and gets him back when he's tired or upset, then Mister Ted accompanies him in the car seat for the journey back home, till he's needed again at bedtime.

If Mister Ted gets left behind, there's lots of reassurance needed until he's retrieved, so having two has ensured this happens rarely.

JessM Sat 11-Feb-12 08:35:16

I think a lamby body double was acquired as a backup at some stage on ebay. Lamby2 is still quite important at age 6.