Gransnet forums

AIBU

9/11.....?????

(80 Posts)
johanna Sat 10-Sep-11 19:39:25

Firstly, apologies incase there is a thread somewhere on 9/11, but I cannot find it.
Over at Mumsnet it is on active.
Does this mean a huge generation gap, and you are all still stuck in the " oversexed, over here, and overpaid " groove?

greenmossgiel Sat 10-Sep-11 19:46:43

confused???? Could you explain that a little more clearly, please? You're speaking to an undersexed, OK here, poor woman!

johanna Sat 10-Sep-11 20:01:35

Hello greenmossgiel,
Ofcourse I can, should have done so in first posting.
I am stunned there is no mention of 9/11 on Gransnet, purely because it was the most important " happening " for the Western World, in modern times.

With regard not understanding the Overpaid, Over Here and Oversexed bit,
are you diplomatically telling us you are to young to remember?????

greenmossgiel Sat 10-Sep-11 20:09:36

johanna - of course I know what you're referring to - but I should perhaps just remind you that most 'grans' here were possibly 'baby-boomers', having been born after the 'over-sexed, overpaid and over here' were over here!!!
However, you do have a point - no discussion has been taking place about 9/11. What do you have to say about it yourself? Would you like to start the discussion with your opinions of the atrocity and how it's being remembered now?

yogagran Sat 10-Sep-11 20:10:07

I think that a lot of us feel that is was such a terrible thing to happen that there is just nothing that we can add to it. Of course we remember, very sadly, all those thousands of people who died and those who were left behind. It was a truly traumatic event. What can we say.....

grandmaagain Sat 10-Sep-11 20:12:38

I think we are all of an age to remember it all to well! and many people here have lost loved ones in the wars that are the aftermath of that desperatley tragic event and are therefore living with the consequenses on a daily basis.

HildaW Sat 10-Sep-11 20:29:46

Johanna, for such an emotive subject your tone is rather confrontational. Why do you assume those who frequent Gransnet have no interest? Furthermore what do you hope to achieve by opening this discussion in such a manner?

Annobel Sat 10-Sep-11 20:32:40

9/11 was the single greatest atrocity of our time and so much is being said and recalled about it at the moment that it's difficult to add anything. I think the horror speaks for itself and doesn't need us to reminisce.
I lived through WW2 though I don't remember much about it. In the 50s we lived in the shadow of the mushroom cloud of the nuclear tests in the Pacific; the Suez crisis; the Soviet repression of the Hungarian uprising; in the 60s, the Cuban Missile Crisis. And so on, through Arab-Israeli conflicts and the Vietnam War...closer to home, IRA terrorism. Eventually, the hope engendered by the fall of the Berlin Wall was crushed by the atrocity of 9/11, and a new fear, international terrorism that could strike anywhere at any time. I don't know what you on MN want us to say, but there you are, I have put my thoughts in a kind of context.

lucid Sat 10-Sep-11 20:32:41

Maybe we were just waiting until tomorrow..that being the anniversary. I can vividly remember where I was on that day 10 years ago.
And I resent the comment " oversexed, over here, and overpaid " groove? As Grandmaagain says many people live with the aftermath everyday.....

greenmossgiel Sat 10-Sep-11 20:46:10

Johanna? As lucid just commented - 'groove' - what did you actually mean by that?

JessM Sat 10-Sep-11 20:53:44

Suggest we either have a mature discussion about the political and human rights ramifications of 9/11 or conclude it has all been said...
And ignore the ageist jibes of the OP. She will go away in a minute when she gets bored with berating us.

Nanban Sat 10-Sep-11 20:55:12

Of course it was a truly horrific happening - but - always a but - remember it was USA who mostly funded the horrific IRA terrorism campaign - we lived in London during the bombings there. Apart from Pearl Harbour and the Civil War, America has not been the subject of an act of war on home territory whereas Europe is only too familiar. And here we are reliving every detail of 9/11 over and over again. American friends were doing a European tour and were in Italy when the Iraq war broke out - they immediately cancelled their holiday and high-tailed it back to New Jersey on the grounds 'that war was far too close for safety'!!!!

It's all a matter of degree - and what about the bombings in Kenya, Bali, oh I can't remember others and surely not remembering is the point - no one human being is more memorable than another but who remembers individuals from other atrocities.

johanna Sat 10-Sep-11 20:59:54

Hello greenmossgiel,
Groove as in 78 rpm vinyl record.
Thank you all so far for your reactions, I will try and state my case over the next few days.

greenmossgiel Sat 10-Sep-11 21:04:20

Don't be silly, Johanna! I wonder if you're just a wee troll?

johanna Sat 10-Sep-11 21:13:29

Greenmossgiel,
No , no , no!
I am a 100% kosher!!!!!!!!!!
But Very flattered none the less.
Must stop now.
Last Night of The Proms!

harrigran Sat 10-Sep-11 21:35:16

I think perhaps we will not be reading your postings johanna you appear to be insulting us before you have even started confused

Annobel Sat 10-Sep-11 21:39:25

PS I hope I haven't given the impression that I've been living in fear all my life! In fact, I've had a lot of very good times. But to an imaginative teenager in the 50s, that mushroom cloud was a rather overwhelming image as were the pictures of the Soviet tanks rolling into Budapest.
The thing that differentiates the 20th Century from all other terrifying times (and as long as human beings have been around, there have been cruelty and terror as well as love and tenderness) is the rise of the mass media which made such images inescapable and which also made the collapse of the twin towers an image that will live with all of us.

HildaW Sat 10-Sep-11 22:02:53

As I suspected, instead of wanting a thoughtful adult discussion about a horrific event someone just wanted to be provocative and attention seeking and in so doing belittle the experiences of those who have had to face the pain and horror of any act of terrorism. No doubt many people have been affected by these events, but much prefer to honour those who have suffered and continue to suffer in its aftermath, in private.

glammanana Sat 10-Sep-11 22:27:42

Every day johanna I think of 9/11 and the people who lost their live's and every day I think and pray for the people who where brought into the conflict and where sent away to fight a war in such terrible place's and I think and pray every day for the people who did not come back to their family's only to be repatrated and buried by their devestated family's I know of to many family's who have been affected by the loss of their son's and daughter's in this war and I am one of the fortunate one's to have my son's back with me,so until this has happened to you and you understand the absolute grief that occur's I would keep your early 1940s comment's to one's self and not be so insulting as to think we as GNers would not remember this tragic time.

johanna Sat 10-Sep-11 22:34:09

Hilda,
Sorry I gave the wrong impresssion.
I just wanted a reaction.
Bye the way do you also think your " Posting name " is about as inspiring as mine?

Notsogrand Sat 10-Sep-11 23:06:40

I would normally run a million miles away from any confrontation or arguement, in either real life or 'virtual' life. But not this time.

johanna, you really shouldn't make assumptions about something as devastatingly important as 9/11 and imply criticism because no-one had started a thread about it. What? In between discussions about losing weight and Strictly Come Dancing?

I think you are very rude and totally misguided.

glammanana Sat 10-Sep-11 23:13:16

Very well said NSG

Grumpyoldwoman Sat 10-Sep-11 23:18:19

Ditto NSG

Faye Sat 10-Sep-11 23:38:50

Johanna what happened at the Twin Towers in the US (I dislike saying 9/11) was absolutely terrible. No one will forget those terrified people throwing themselves out of the windows. People still wonder how on earth those two buildings could just disintegrate at such speed. On saying that Johanna, do you mark the 'happening' of the date of the Invasion of Iraq. That illegal war where it is said well over 100,000 possibly a million people have been killed, a country that has been demolished, for what, an excuse to get some more oil. Do you not wonder what in the hell we are doing illegally invading other countries. Do you not wonder if that is why these types of 'happenings' are indeed happening in the first place!!! angry

grannyactivist Sat 10-Sep-11 23:44:57

johanna, if you've been following these posts with any regularity you will know that my son-in law was killed in Afghanistan last year. The root of our presence in that country is what happened in America on 9/11. So, yes, I am sure we are all aware that the anniversary is imminent and we will all no doubt be remembering it in different ways. I shall be commemorating the 10th anniversary of 9/11 by joining a walk for interdependence, open to all faiths and none, from the local Mosque to Exeter Cathedral where a recital of John Lennon’s anti war song 'Imagine' will be performed on the bells of Exeter Cathedral. How will you be marking it?