Gransnet forums

AIBU

9/11.....?????

(81 Posts)
johanna Sat 10-Sep-11 19:39:25

Firstly, apologies incase there is a thread somewhere on 9/11, but I cannot find it.
Over at Mumsnet it is on active.
Does this mean a huge generation gap, and you are all still stuck in the " oversexed, over here, and overpaid " groove?

crimson Tue 13-Sep-11 22:26:54

One of my big regrets is standing next to Robin Cook one day at Newbury Racecourse and not wanting to say hello to him as I felt he was having a 'day off'. Politics is so missing having great orators these days. I dreamt for so many years of having a Labour Government [remember sobbing my heart out when Neil Kinnock threw the election away]. My daughter went into teaching on the back of Blairs comment about Education etc. One thing that I have found inspiring, though, is the fact that the Conservative leader of Derby Council is taking on the Government about the threat to Bombardier's future; there are people in politics with principles still. I've just been watching the programme about the Regency period on BBC4, talking about Peterloo, the Cato St Conspiracy and Lord Byron defending the Luddites in Parliament. Great stuff!!

Granny23 Wed 14-Sep-11 00:33:43

As an SNP member I was proud that my party were against the invasion of Iraq 100%. Personally, I regretted being unable to attend the protest march as we were on holiday in Lanzarote. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that there was a similar march on the same day in Lanzarote against Spanish involvement. We, and many other tourists, were able to join in there. Fat lot of good it did as the powers that be took not a blind bit of notice but at least I did make it plain that it was 'not in my name'.

Baggy Wed 14-Sep-11 06:54:18

I was, and am, full of respect for Robin Cook, too.

Annobel Wed 14-Sep-11 08:51:59

Good on you G23. I was very proud of Charles Kennedy's principled stance against the Iraq invasion. As a Lib Dem, I have to wonder if the current leadership would have the same principles. What a difference a bit of power makes...sad

crimson Wed 14-Sep-11 09:32:52

..power corrupts, absolute power etc etc