Gransnet forums

AIBU

Violent ps3 games

(15 Posts)
supernana Mon 19-Sep-11 13:40:55

greenmossgiel...Bless! grin

greenmossgiel Sun 18-Sep-11 19:32:15

For some reason, I'd collected some ladybirds and put them in an Elasoplast tin. I could only have been about 6, I think. My mother found the tin and opened it, shouting out in fright when the ladybirds all flew out - I remember it very well! grin

supernana Sun 18-Sep-11 17:52:16

Annika I loved having pet caterpillars and making them feel at home on a bed of leaves and rose petals in a little box. Mine were all called Eric...can't think why. Whenever my mother discovered an Eric she would say, "poor thing. Please set it free"...smile

GoldenGran Sun 18-Sep-11 17:36:30

Agree with all of the above, but have to admit when I was 8 or 9 I used to make my own bow and arrows and try and "kill " my brother. I have to say it was not encouraged and I was in trouble when my Mother found out! I think it was the result of my love for cowboy films. I have, you will be pleased to know turned into a fairly gentle peace loving soul. blush

Annika Sun 18-Sep-11 17:30:21

greenmossgiel I agree with you when we out to play it was for fun we did not set out to injure or kill anyone. One of most innocent of pursuits we had was to put catterpillers in a box with a few cabbage leaves and they then became our pets... that is until, at best we forgot about or at worse mum found them in the box under the bed and then look out !!!!!!!!!!shock

supernana Sat 17-Sep-11 17:20:13

greenmossgiel Me too...
When I was a child of ten, I would have been reading decent adventure stories and the Beano, roller skating, building dens, gathering with like-minded children in the potting shed and playing at being a member of a secret society. How lucky we were to have enjoyed child-like innocent pursuits, far removed from some of the tacky mayhem portrayed on the must-have video games and such...

greenmossgiel Sat 17-Sep-11 16:24:32

supernana I totally agree. What's so surprising is that the young boy's parents are a really nice couple who appear to love their 2 children. The elder child, a girl is what may be called 'gifted' and is way ahead educationally, though with few friends, similarly the little boy also has few friends. Perhaps they let him have these games because of his sister's abilities and the fact that the wee lad may be lonely - who knows? I have to say, though, if I was the grandma I would have to say something about their allowing this to go on.

supernana Sat 17-Sep-11 11:58:34

greenmossgiel Your posting made my hair curl. Ten years of age is far too young to be exposed to such utter rubbish. If my family permitted such "entertainment" for their own children, I would be HORRIFIED! angry

greenmossgiel Thu 15-Sep-11 17:24:58

A couple who are related to my granddaughters' father have a boy of 10 and they allow him to play with really violent play station games. My granddaughter was telling me that some of the games involve the attacking/killing of 'prostitutes'. The couple are in their 40's and are intelligent, and I thought, sensible people, but somehow don't seem to see how dangerous it is to let their boy see such things happen, even if 'it's only a game'.

Carol Thu 15-Sep-11 15:48:59

It shocks me that very young children are allowed access to 15 and 18 year recommended violent games, and my impression is that children do become more aggressive and lacking in empathy when exposed to this kind of 'game.' I never allowed my children to have bows and arrows or toy guns, and whilst I did occasionally find them playing with these things at other chikldren's houses, now they are in their thirties, they have adopted my stance on symbols of violence and treat their children likewise. Those children who did play with guns are less gentle and tend to tease and wind up their own children, and don't think carefully about what they are exposing their children to, which I believe breeds anger and aggression in the next generation.

numberplease Thu 15-Sep-11 15:30:45

I agree entirely with all that`s been said, especially as my husband is one of those addicted to these games. The look on his face when he`s playing, and the way he shouts and swears at the game if it`s not going the way he wants, is awful, and I`m so glad that he now plays upstairs and not in the living room anymore. He`s up there for 8 to 10 hours a day.

supernana Thu 15-Sep-11 13:44:54

I loathe anything of a violent nature, especially when marketed [without conscience] to appeal to the young and vulnerable. How on earth can some parents afford to buy such utter garbage?

absentgrana Thu 15-Sep-11 10:31:29

The people who design (and sell) violent games, just like the people who make violent films deny that there is any connection between their products and actual violence. If you look at the parallel world of advertising – a huge industry – would all that money be spent and all those creative people be employed if it didn''t influence other people's behaviour? So why not violent games and films – at least some people to some extent?

I can't understand why anybody would want to play them in the first place.

shysal Thu 15-Sep-11 08:34:12

I watched a Supernanny experiment about the effects of watching violence on children. The outcome was that they seemed to lose good manners and sympathy for others. I was shocked.

Annika Wed 14-Sep-11 23:43:11

Has any one seen the latest play station game advertised on tv at the moment, am I the only one who finds this disturbing. The scenes that are shown are of extreme violence. Who needs or wants games like that. What on earth is going on in the minds of people who buy these games to find them enjoyable.
Will playing these games sicken the mind I wonder ?
It must make some sort of impact on the person playing these games sad