Gransnet forums

AIBU

Chuggers

(65 Posts)
Baggy Wed 21-Sep-11 21:55:13

I detest charity mugging and think it is all part of the corporate creep I complained about in another thread. I'm not willing to give money to any charity that uses such intimidating tactics, whatever their cause. I think the practice should be banned. I have held collection cans for various charities and I was always told that it is actually illegal to rattle the can, never mind approach people.

Jacey Wed 21-Sep-11 21:33:00

Thanx grannyactivist ...I learnt something new today!

numberplease Wed 21-Sep-11 21:31:05

I`ve never heard the expression "chuggers" before. I almost always put in collections in town, some I give more than others, depending on who they are, but I will never sign up for regular payments to any charity, as I would like to give to them all, but there has to be a limit, especially on a reduced income, which we`re now on.

glammanana Wed 21-Sep-11 21:20:35

I find them very hard to avoid and yes they can be intimidating,I also find it difficult to avoid the rep's from the gas/electric company's who try to stop you in town,they have even positioned a lady at the top of the esculator's in M&S in Liverpool,how stupid is that.?We have had "chuggers" knock on the door of an evening asking for the family to sign up and the "chuggers" had been bused in from other region's to do a three day "hit" in the area.

em Wed 21-Sep-11 21:15:13

When approached I say that I already give to 'my' charities and that they benefit from Gift Aid. This has happened occasionally but is not a big problem here.

greenmossgiel Wed 21-Sep-11 20:49:05

Worthwhile asking one about that when next accosted, perhaps? hmm

Annika Wed 21-Sep-11 20:46:30

Hattie64 I never knew that about the direct debit , do the "chuggers " who work for the company know that the first year direct debits are kept with out a penny going to charity. any one out there know a "chugger " I wonder ? shock

grannyactivist Wed 21-Sep-11 20:12:21

Chuggers is a portmanteau word combining the beginning of the word 'charity and the ending of the word 'muggers'. Says it all really.

Hattie64 Wed 21-Sep-11 20:09:21

I read somewhere that the company that organises the chuggers for the various charities, keeps the first years direct debits to cover their costs!!! So you could cancel your direct debit after a year and the charity wouldn't receive a penny.
Somehow, thankfully, they seem to ignore anybody over 60.

Jacey Wed 21-Sep-11 19:27:40

greenmossgiel is this a scottish term because I've never heard it before?
I can't say that I've every been accosted in the manner that you and Annika described. confused

Annobel Wed 21-Sep-11 19:27:20

They don't just shake cans. Very often they have clip-boards and try to persuade the unwary to sign up for direct debited donations.

joshsnan Wed 21-Sep-11 19:26:53

I used to work in the Town Centre were I live and got fed up of being hijacked every time I went out of work for my lunch break, so much so I started staying in work instead. I also donate to my chosen charities.

Nanban Wed 21-Sep-11 19:25:09

It's important to check up on charities and how can you possibly do that if you are stopped in the street. It encourages criminal behaviour which in turn steals from real charities that would otherwise get your money. I thought there was a law already that says you can stand with a collecting tin but are not allowed to approach or talk or ask or make a noise - just needs enforcing like so much of our law which is good but ignored.

I do think the Big Issue people should still be allowed though.

greenmossgiel Wed 21-Sep-11 18:29:05

I'd be glad to see the end of them. Having to do a body-swerve when they (chuggers) try to pounce is becoming quite a common practice. I, like many, give what I can to the charities of my choice. These people can be quite intimidating. One day in a local town, I saw one of these people asking for more money than a young woman was preparing to give, saying - "Oh, come on, you can do better than that - I can see you've got a fiver there in your purse!" The young girl handed him the money - probably having to do without her lunch. angry

Annika Wed 21-Sep-11 18:20:32

I see there is to be a clamp down on charity chuggers,, we have all come across them, they stand in the local high street stopping shoppers in an effort to subscribe to the charity they happen to work for. I know they are only trying to do a job but I have been stopped so many times by them that avoiding them has become an art for me. I give to my "favourite " charity via direct debit and pop money into collection tins at the supermarket and I buy more than my fair share of draw tickets at Christmas.
Should we be glad to see the end of these so called "chuggers "
confused