Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not sure where to post as the legal topic seems bit empty! txt msg as evidence?

(9 Posts)
bikergran Fri 23-Sep-11 20:27:03

Just wondering if anyone has had or knows anything about txt msg being used as evidence of a crime..(htink this perticular crime would come under criminal damge)
Have googled but its always better if you here it from the hourses mouth( now im not! saying that all gransnet are horses) lol....
but has anyone had any dealing or anyhting where txt msg have been used as evidence to ermm sort of prove some body has done something? (its prob a shot in the dark but you are all such a wise lot...)smile

bikergran Fri 23-Sep-11 20:33:20

grrrrrr I mean horses of course....

glassortwo Fri 23-Sep-11 21:21:56

biker sorry cant help, but I think I have heard of using text messages as evidence by Police, but someone here may be able to offer some help.

Jacey Fri 23-Sep-11 21:52:05

This may not help legally ...but we were able to "prove" bullying in school from text messages ...because the mobile number gets displayed as well... confused ...which meant we could identify the sender.

bikergran Fri 23-Sep-11 22:05:29

hi all..yes a bit of a "grey" area this according to the police..
jacey it is sad when dealing with bullies. txt messaging has a lot to answer for!........... bullying in any form at any age is a horrible thing to deal with.... thanks for replies girls... smile off to bed..now....goodnight.

Annobel Fri 23-Sep-11 22:16:15

I will ask the detective in the family when I next speak to him, maybe tomorrow.

glammanana Fri 23-Sep-11 22:23:34

The only problem with this is proving the owner of the phone was the person who sent the text message,so many people leave their phone's available for other people's use,it could be a reason for the evidence to become unsafe.

bikergran Sat 24-Sep-11 10:06:52

thanks all...will see how thinsg go this week,,,,,,bfn.smile

Carol Wed 28-Sep-11 12:09:57

Text messages can certainly be used as evidence in harrassment, bullying and domestic abuse cases. Recently, there was a report in a national newspaper that something said in a text or email contradicted evidence given in court leading to a conviction, so this is being investigated by police.