Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect shop assistants to at least acknowledge that I am there

(66 Posts)
nannysgetpaid Sat 01-Oct-11 12:28:24

I am sure that someone has brought this up before but I am furious. Yesteday I went into Pets At Home. Got what I wanted and went to the counter. The assistant took the article out of my hand without a word, carried on talking to the other assistant behind him, took my money and turned away. I very pointedly said Thank you and he looked at me as though I was of no importance. I asked if if his mother had taught him manners and (he was not much younger than me) and got some smiles from other customers. Needless to say I will not be shopping there again.

Annobel Fri 21-Oct-11 10:57:54

gracesmum , shock. I assure you that this checkout operator held out no temptation whatsoever! grin

gracesmum Wed 19-Oct-11 12:52:25

Annobel - were you tempted?????grin

Annobel Wed 19-Oct-11 12:46:52

Lakeland ladies always ask if I found what I was looking for. However, i usually come out with far more than I was looking for!
Waitrose is great for service but this week the gentleman manning the 'baskets only' checkout went a bit too far, asking me three times if there was anything more he could do for me. Goodness knows what he thought he could do!

Carol Wed 19-Oct-11 11:47:34

I love taking my basset hound in Pets At Home elderflower1. They are so welcoming and always come round the counter to stroke my dog and give her a treat.

gracesmum Wed 19-Oct-11 11:15:38

Another topic we can all identify with. I like it when a well-known store where we all buy our knickers "Thank" me "for waiting to pay" (is there an alternative?) But they also ask if I found everything I had been looking for and it eases life to have people talk to you. For some customers, it may be the only human contact in a morning. Another well-known and never knowingly undersold department store and its supermarket equivalent are excellent - except ONCE!!! when the middle aged lady on the till was clearly ready to finish her shift (it was about 5.04) and never once made eye contact with me. I wish I had written to the manager as it really put me out for the rest of the evening.
Best story of all was about 25 years ago when I had writtten off my car and went looking for a new one with DH. The flash salesman said "Would Sir like to look under the bonnet while Madam checks out the upholstery" !!! "Sir" having a company car in those days had never looked under a bonnet in his life. Who was the dipstick there,eh?

elderflower1 Tue 18-Oct-11 20:01:42

Going back to the start of this topic I had excellent service from pets at home today. A smile, asked if I had found everything I wanted and my heavy shopping was carried out to the car. Thank you

I find that more often than not I get good service where I live - perhaps it is living in the north west. Occassionaly bad service but I just ask if they are having a bad day - sometimes wish I had'nt.

GadaboutGran Tue 18-Oct-11 18:01:16

I had two examples last week. One in Sainsbury's at the fish counter when there was only one person serving a big order and four others wandering about behind. They looked blank when I suggested one might come and serve so I walked away and eventually found someone who looked like a manager to give them my free consultancy which I suspect went nowhere - they didn't offer to serve me either. Then in M&S I was waiting ages as 2 assistants were fully engaged with peoole buying out the shop! My Grandaughter said she was desperate for the toilet so I called another assistant who after a small hesitation decided to serve us and prevent a puddle on the floor.

The worst is our local newsagents/PO. The owners always seem to be on the phone and carry on their conversations while serving without even looking at you. Now I just plonk my newspaper token on the counter and go - even when they are nowhere to be seen. They are always grumbling about how hard they work for little reward. The postal clerks are the most miserable people ever.

glammanana Sun 16-Oct-11 19:42:00

Mamie Same in Spain we asked a Company for a price for tiling around the side of the pool,and where told we would have to wait as the whole Company is closed down in August,about 4.000euro's worth of work had to wait until Sept.

Mamie Sun 16-Oct-11 19:24:26

My favourite here in France was when we wanted to buy a 2000€ ride-on mower and the man in the shop said, "I can't sell you that now - it's almost lunchtime"!

Pennysue Sun 16-Oct-11 18:19:37

I was ignored in a big department store and lost it a bit. Stepped in front of the female assistant who wanted to serve a man first, despite the fact that I had been waiting longer (which the man acknowledged). Told her I might be over 50 but I am not (expletive deletive invisible). Takes a lot to make me swear but I was just so mad. It had not been a good day.

Also makes me mad when acting as a chauffeur to my Mother (who is 85) she explains what she wants and the assistant speaks to me! I always reply - ask the customer she is the one with the money I am just the driver.

One good thing that comes of out of being invisible is not getting stopped by people doing polls and trying to persuade you to have a catalogue.

I think dorsetpennt and I work for the same store. As she says they are red hot on customer satisfaction! I will say that if someone indicates they would rather not been taken to the item etc just wants to know where it is, or whether they have walked past it I do not take them. There is no point in alienating someone.

Jangran Sun 16-Oct-11 16:10:39

I like that idea, Elegran!

I did once point out that the poor service I had received (being ignored all the time the purchase was made, whilst the assistant carried on a conversation with another one) made it very unlikely I should be shopping there again. The assistant seemed to be rather surprised that I had commented at all (sort of "get her!" look. But the shop did shut down soon afterwards.

Occasionally one does meet with a "can't be bothered" response from shop assistants, when one ventures a friendly comment, which is a bit off putting. I understand that they have no reason to be interested in me or in my purchase, but politeness consists of responding to others as individuals, and whilst one customer might want to pay and get away as quickly as possible, another may wish to have a couple of sentences of friendly exchange. The art of good service is to be able to distinguish between the different types.

However, whilst I think it is very important to be polite whichever side of the counter you are on, in the end one should, in one's own interests, perhaps, remember which side is paying and which side is being paid.

Elegran Sun 09-Oct-11 17:36:05

Just had an idea - next time an assistant carries on chatting to a colleague while ignoring us, then puts out a hand to take the cash without eye (contact (while still chatting), We should hold tight to the money, turn to the next person in the queue and say "I'm in no rush. Do tell me all about your day ......."

whatamess Sat 08-Oct-11 21:54:46

My pet dislike at checkouts is when the cashier giving you change plonks the small change and a note on top of the receipt so you have to juggle the coins, the note and the receipt all at once. It's a pleasure when the cashier hands you your change and allows you to put it in your purse before giving you the receipt. Doesn't often happen though.

Gally Sat 08-Oct-11 10:20:17

dorsetpennt - that sounds just like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman smile

dorsetpennt Sat 08-Oct-11 09:57:11

Years ago a friend and I had dropped the kids off at nursery and then did a spot of window shopping as my very rich friend was going to the White House for a do.[I lived in NY at the time]. OK we were wearing jeans but neither of us looked like slobs, even in jeans I make an effort to look presentable. One of the assistants looked us up and down and said 'I don't think we'll have anything for you our clothes are probably beyond your financial range '. 'Probably not' retorted friend ' I usually shop in Manhattan at Chanel or somewhere similar'. She had seen something that she really liked but refused to buy it. I saw the shop assistant in a checkout queue that afternoon and told her what a huge mistake she had made as my friend was loaded. They lost a good customer.

Baggy Sat 08-Oct-11 07:41:00

The shame is that you should have felt ashamed, granny23! If your outfit was right for the occasions, there's nothing to feel ashamed about. smile

Granny23 Sat 08-Oct-11 03:12:58

Many years ago I went into the 'posh' department store to buy cream gloves. When the assistant deigned to notice me and break off her conversation with her colleague i said 'I'm looking for a pair of light weight cream gloves - I think I am a size 7'. She looked me up and down and said 'We don't sell cheap gloves' to which I replied that I did not want cheap gloves, I needed a pair that would match my newly purchased burnt orange and cream dress and jacket as gloves were de rigeur at the Royal Garden Party! She then looked at me as if I were something the cat had dragged in and, without opening a single drawer, announced that they had no cream gloves in stock!!!!

Still reeling from this I went to buy a hat in the 'posh' hat shop where the three assistants all buzzed around me. I think I tried on every hat they had and the three of them were falling about laughing at how daft I looked in every single one. They were right - I always look ridiculous in a hat - but I did feel they should have restrained themselves somewhat.

I took the short cut through Woolworths to the bus station and a straw sun hat in the exact shade of burnt orange caught my eye. This hat, trimmed with £1 worth of ribbon was the one I CARRIED to the garden party - it was never on my head! The very old, but pretty pair of white lace gloves, found in the back of a drawer by my mum and dyed cream by boiling up in tea, perfectly completed my outfit.

I do hope her Majesty is not a Gransnet lurker (though she is well qualified to be here) and will never know my secret shame.

harrigran Fri 07-Oct-11 23:46:14

I hate it when shop assistants make assumptions about what you can afford. I like to be comfortable and often shop in jeans and trainers but sometimes when I am browsing an assistant will say " it is expensive" I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford anything I want and don't take kindly to people assuming it is beyond my reach.

Gally Fri 07-Oct-11 20:19:18

I know people shoplift, but I hate it when an assistant obviously gravitates towards me when I am perusing the goods and follows me round at a distance of a couple of feet. I have in the past told them that I am not in the business of taking without paying and on others, I have just walked out and gone elsewhere. In our village there is an art shop run by an extremely strange man who immediately appears from the nether regions of the shop when anyone enters and follows them about - the shop is about 15' x 10'. I have only ever bought a birthday card there as I feel so uncomfortable - he knows who I am and if I did nick anything he would know where I lived anyway wink

jinglej Fri 07-Oct-11 19:07:55

borstalgran - "the orange folk who sniff at your skin"! Why do they need to do that? shock And why are they orange?!

I haven't been in Boots for a while.

gkal Fri 07-Oct-11 18:23:50

I think it's so disrespectful to serve someone without looking at them - give them their change and receipt while looking in the opposite direction as if the customer is of no value. Now, I have a little trick up my sleeve. I don't take my change. I just stand there and wait until the person realises and looks at me, then I take my change, smile and say thank you. My son thinks I'm making a fuss about it and that the check-out staff are probably tired and bored but I know he wouldn't behave like that to others. There's no excuse for it.

borstalgran Fri 07-Oct-11 18:22:45

I hate it when shop folk tidy up after you. You look at a cardi and replace it, but not to the satisfaction of the assistant who bristles over and tidies it up; you check out a scarf and the bristling one arrives to place it at precisely the right angle. Can't bear it - walkout every time. Also hate it when some snotty youngster looks at you as if you have crawled out from under a very slimy stone: how common is that! Add to that the orange folk who sniff at your skin when you look for make up. Revenge of the grannies needed!

Baggy Fri 07-Oct-11 12:15:09

Woody, you could get in touch with the farm, perhaps, and ask if it was a personal or a business call. It's possible the farm had called him, I suppose, but you'd think they'd have cut it short if they'd realised he had customers!

Woody Fri 07-Oct-11 12:09:35

I went to our small town weekly market a couple of weeks ago, there was a new stall there from a farm about 20 miles away. The stall-holder was on his mobile phone when I approached and he was serving the customer in front of me. I kept thinking he would end his call at any moment and attend to us but he served the two of us one handed (weighing out bacon and sausages!) and took our money and was still on the call when I walked away! I dont think he was the actual owner of the farm and I felt like phoning the farm and complaining but of course I didnt - should I?

Butternut Fri 07-Oct-11 11:44:08

I can't get mobile reception where I live, so rarely use mine. It is only tucked into my bag when I'm out and about for use in an emergency. I can't think of the last time I used it.
I do like them though, as when I'm in the States my son gives me his which is like having a wonderful new toy which works everywhere! ;-) ....I could become hooked!