Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why you shouldn't buy from COMET

(46 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 12-Oct-11 11:52:51

As my husband and I don’t have a DVD player we purchased, from a local COMET shop, a combined TV/DVD player. The TV has never been tuned in and we have watched DVD’s on six occasions. Almost eight weeks ago I discovered the machine is no longer working.

I have spoken many times to COMET. I have paid 10p a minute on the phone trying to get someone to come and fix the machine. They say they can’t fix the machine – which they’ve never actually seen - because they don’t have the part. I have spoken to staff from the local shop, who say they are not authorised to replace the set: To Richard and Sue, at COMET Head Office Customer Service Department, who also say they are not authorised to replace the set. angry

So, I have a machine which is not fit for purpose, which cost more than £200 to buy and which is useless. COMET can’t fix it. COMET won’t replace it.

Am I being Unreasonable to say that’s why you shouldn’t buy from COMET?

glammanana Wed 12-Oct-11 12:01:26

Under the "Sale of Good's Act" Comet have to by law replace your TV/DVD or give you a full refund,if you paid by Credit Card you get in touch with your Company and tell them the problem and they must refund the money to you and they then deal with the problem for you.Take the machine back and refuse to move until the problem has been resolved,I love this sort of problem and if I lived nearer to you I would do it for you.

granto7 Wed 12-Oct-11 12:02:43

So sorry to hear of your experience with Comet. You are quite right to say "don't buy from Comet" I, for one, will take your advice. It is so good to have somewhere to air our grievances (GN) At least someone else knows of our trials.
Sue and Richard at Comet angry

pompa Wed 12-Oct-11 12:08:48

Try posting your problems here ;- forums.moneysavingexpert.com/

Our son had problems with NPower, posting his problems in this forum soon brought a response and eventually a resolution.

jinglej Wed 12-Oct-11 12:13:30

I'd come with you Glamma! grin

We always find comet will wriggle out of things if they can. Is it still in warranty granny-a?

nannysgetpaid Wed 12-Oct-11 12:31:30

grannyactivist I do so agree with you. We ordered and paid for a Rangemaster cooker from Comet. After weeks of waiting and ringing Comet who said it was on its way I rang Rangemaster who told me that it hadn't been ordered. I had to go into the store to demand my money back and they treated me as though it was my fault. Will never go into another Comet store. I went next door to Currys who had it delivered in a week.

grannyactivist Wed 12-Oct-11 12:38:00

Yes, it's still in warranty. I feel as though I've fallen down the rabbit hole trying to get some satisfaction from the various departments. I call the COMET number and am given several options; I choose an option and I'm then offered several other options; I finally choose an option that gets me through to the service engineer's department. They ask me the same questions every time I phone. They then find me on their computer system and tell me that the part hasn't come in yet. I ask how long it will take for the part to come in - and they don't know. I actually managed to get an appointment for an engineer to come and look at the machine - but the appointment was cancelled. I've been trying to get this sorted for almost EIGHT weeks. All the phone calls cost me 10p a minute, so COMET are actually making money from their poor after sales service. I will NEVER, EVER buy anything from them again. Sadly I didn't check the company out before shopping there; I would have seen case after case like mine on the net if I'd thought to look first. angry

Amber Wed 12-Oct-11 12:40:20

Me too, as Glammanana says its their legal obligation to replace or refund I always find if you ask loudly for the Manager in a crowded shop, and tell all who are near you why, they will very quickly get things sorted out. If that doesn,t work try one of the national news papers I am sure they would love this story, can you see the Headline "Comet cant fix it"

jinglej Wed 12-Oct-11 12:46:33

Can you take it back to the branch you bought it from, with warranty and receipt in hand, and, like Glamma says, stand there until they do do something. I can't see how they can avoid it. confused

jinglej Wed 12-Oct-11 12:48:14

Tell them they've got to replace it. And tell 'em loudly!

jinglej Wed 12-Oct-11 12:49:50

Stick to John Lewis in future. They have a good reputation to keep up. I know that doesn't help now though.

Gally Wed 12-Oct-11 12:53:53

That's it Jingle, Grannyactivist has to tell 'em loud and clear! I bought a fridge freezer from Comet and the assistant was all over me (well, metaphorically) until I told her I didn't want to take out the insurance on it and I was blanked immediately - my NBF gone as soon as blink. Never been back since then. shock

glammanana Wed 12-Oct-11 13:17:14

Find out the e-mail address and mail the CEO of Comet and let it be known you have been seeking advice from a very well attended forum,that may put the cat among the pigeon's.angry woop's I must be over my bout of flu I am in fighting mode to-day.

jinglej Wed 12-Oct-11 13:21:22

Good for you Glam! grin

crimson Wed 12-Oct-11 14:05:30

There's often a consumer advice/complaints page in papers such as the Telegraph; I've often used them when hitting a wall when it comes to complaining to companies..it's amazing how quickly they respond to the bad publicity [and the possibility of legal action because they do follow through with the complaint].

grannyactivist Wed 12-Oct-11 17:46:47

Thanks to everyone for your support. thanks
Have been contacted by Sue at HQ to say that I should be able to pick up a new TV/DVD player as soon as the correct code has been forwarded to the local store. Definitely before Saturday! Watch this space, I shall keep you informed.

glammanana Wed 12-Oct-11 17:51:50

I was just about to put my coat on and pop down to sort it out for you,foiled again hmm good for you ga well done

glammanana Wed 12-Oct-11 17:55:26

Just had a wicked thought,how lucky is the Comet shop concerned that all us GNers didn't all converge on them at the same time. shock

grannyactivist Wed 12-Oct-11 17:56:02

Oh glamma that raised a smile.

jinglej Wed 12-Oct-11 18:01:09

That is SO good! Hooray!

Annobel Wed 12-Oct-11 18:09:41

GA, I have spent a lot of time at CAB writing letters to retailers on behalf of clients with this kind of problem. I am sure an adviser would love to do this for/with you. Although you are more than capable of doing this yourself, it's amazing how much clout the CAB letterhead can carry. I do advise putting your case in writing to the manager of the store concerned with a copy to the Director of Customer Services. Phone calls are much easier to ignore.
www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/making-a-complaint/how-to-complain-to-companies/sample-letters/

glammanana Wed 12-Oct-11 18:19:18

Thanks for the info link Annobel I am going to keep it for future reference just in case I ever need it,it's very useful.According to DH when I go on the complaining trail I develope what he call's my Scouse Mouth (what ever he mean's by that I would not know)blushas I alway's think of myself as the absolute lady where matter's of discussion are concerned.

Hublady Thu 13-Oct-11 14:20:41

I wouldn't be so confident about John Lewis. Their online customer service are just as evasive as Comet. I don't trust them any more, would never shop there again. Thanks for this opportunity to get some real information out on John Lewis.

jinglej Thu 13-Oct-11 14:30:54

Glamma - "Scouse Mouth"! grin Love it.

jinglej Thu 13-Oct-11 14:32:15

Hublady shock Where can we shop from?!!

I think all the shops are tightening up on the refunds etc. to keep profits up.