Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why you shouldn't buy from COMET

(47 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 12-Oct-11 11:52:51

As my husband and I don’t have a DVD player we purchased, from a local COMET shop, a combined TV/DVD player. The TV has never been tuned in and we have watched DVD’s on six occasions. Almost eight weeks ago I discovered the machine is no longer working.

I have spoken many times to COMET. I have paid 10p a minute on the phone trying to get someone to come and fix the machine. They say they can’t fix the machine – which they’ve never actually seen - because they don’t have the part. I have spoken to staff from the local shop, who say they are not authorised to replace the set: To Richard and Sue, at COMET Head Office Customer Service Department, who also say they are not authorised to replace the set. angry

So, I have a machine which is not fit for purpose, which cost more than £200 to buy and which is useless. COMET can’t fix it. COMET won’t replace it.

Am I being Unreasonable to say that’s why you shouldn’t buy from COMET?

AngeTheHippy Thu 20-Oct-11 11:49:06

Oh yes, Jacey! Also, if you're RETURNING something because it's faulty/rotten etc, DON'T FORGET to mention how FAR you've gone out of your way to return it. The amount of times I've got £10 (usually)petrol money or a voucher is impressive!!

Jacey Thu 20-Oct-11 11:19:22

Following on from JJ post about the price of peas smile ...do you all check your till receipts for your supermarket shopping??

Have found several times that the "offer" price hasn't gone through hmm

I don't trouble the person on the till ...but trundle off to the customer services desk ...I've always got the refund and an apology ...and a £2 voucher for the trouble smile That's Asda for you!!

However ...have been told by another supermarket ...that there is often a delay between offers going on display and the 'message' getting to the till computers ...confused so it is worthwhile standing in the store doing a quick check smile

Annobel Wed 19-Oct-11 23:01:31

Thanks, AngeTheHippy , I have bookmarked that for future reference.

AngeTheHippy Wed 19-Oct-11 19:09:20

Evenin' Everyone,

Read this with interest. I cottoned onto Comet's dire customer service some while back.

Now this is for EVERYONE that uses this website. NEXT TIME you need to ring an 0870, 0845 or 0844 number, GO HERE FIRST::

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

and just type in either the company name OR (in the bottom field) the phone number in question.

You will be amazed HOW MANY Companies/Shops/Banks still use their local phone numbers, which I whenever possible ring. WHY should I pay these over-inflated call costs??

AngeTheHippy

glammanana Sat 15-Oct-11 13:16:03

Well done GA my reputation precede's me [embarrassed] I'm a pussy cat really.So enjoy all your DVD's,all you girl's can now put away your placard's

bagitha Sat 15-Oct-11 07:10:06

Good news, ga! smile

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 22:51:58

grin

grannyactivist Fri 14-Oct-11 22:51:13

Hooray - I went into the store today and picked up my new TV/DVD Player - testimony to the power of persistence in the face of overwhelming inertia! It was very gratifying to receive such support from the GN community and I'm almost sorry we didn't get to be a GN flashmob with glammanana leading the way. wink

kittylester Fri 14-Oct-11 07:40:03

I was told by a washer repairman that Comet, Currys etc have their versions of appliances made to a slightly different, and cheaper, spec and you should always buy from independent stores or reputable multiples even if it is more expensive.

I have never had any problem with John Lewis regarding service either pre or after sale. It is a joke with our children that since we had a JL store in Leicester and, as it is the nearest shop to the car park, I manage to go anywhere else.

glammanana Thu 13-Oct-11 22:59:50

Just checking my cupcake was working.

Hublady Thu 13-Oct-11 20:18:03

jinglej, the Co-op have had this problem for years. I've written several letters to them, but it doesn't improve. Got vouchers from them a couple of times, though (by way of apology). I'd rather they just improve their system. I now try to avoid their offers.

jinglej Thu 13-Oct-11 17:34:47

But still!!

jinglej Thu 13-Oct-11 17:34:27

I do realise a packet of peas is not as bad as a large household appliance. blush

jinglej Thu 13-Oct-11 17:31:52

Yes - that happened to me in the week Hublady. The packet of frozen peas were marked on the shelf in the freezer at £1. Charged me £1.20! I went back. Got my 20p back.

Didn't realise it was an ongoing thing with them. shock

Hublady Thu 13-Oct-11 17:08:19

The Co-op, jinglej? Though you have to check your till receipts there - often they don't take off the discounts (they're slow in updating the tills).

goldengirl Thu 13-Oct-11 17:07:02

I too have recently had a run in with our local Comet. On a Monday in August I went along to look at cookers for my mum's house. It had to fit in the space between the units so the choice was limited. I found one and me being me I went home to think about it. I returned on the Wednesday ie TWO DAYS later only to find the price had shot up by an additional £100. The annoying thing was that the original advertisement for the lower price was still visible as it was used for backing on another cooker alongside. I pointed this out to the assistant who apologised but said that it was company policy to raise and lower prices ON A DAILY basis. As the cooker was desperately needed I bought it under protest. Again me being me I wrote a letter to the manager and didn't hear a bean. I wrote again and received a telephone call on behalf of the NEW manager to say, sorry that was the policy. I told them they'd just lost a customer. I contacted Trading Standards who said Comet could change their prices as these are only as we know 'an offer to treat' but agreed that there should be no confusion and they would send a notice to Comet to that effect. Hopefully it will help someone else but my advice is BEWARE if you use Comet! I don't like making snap decisions so I won't be venturing there again and John Lewis will be the richer for it!

Revis Thu 13-Oct-11 16:54:16

Virtually every other week The Guardian money section features a complaint about John Lewis's after-sales service. They will always try to repair and drag things out rather than replace, which they are obliged by law to do. As you say "jingle" where can we shop now safely and be sure of good service?

glammanana Thu 13-Oct-11 15:27:05

When you have talked yourself back into going for [cupcakes] will you get me some wink

jinglej Thu 13-Oct-11 15:16:42

must not go down the co-op and buy cupcakes
must not go down the co-op and buy cup cakes.....

glammanana Thu 13-Oct-11 15:03:43

Full Marks for John Lewis,when the toaster that matched all the other small electrical equipment in my kitchen burnt out (it was out of gaurentee) I called in to JL to get a replacement,to find out they did not have the correct colour it had been discontinued,they got in touch with the manufacturer and they had one sent to me,they ttracked it down to another store and arranged for it to be sent on to me,so I will back JL for good service any day.cupcake

Notsogrand Thu 13-Oct-11 14:42:22

Posting these types of complaints on Twitter can work wonders, especially with the big and well known companies. If you don't 'do' Twitter yourself, ask a friend or relative to do it and request re-tweets. All the big companies monitor Twitter/Facebook etc on the lookout for bad publicity. The unspoken 'rule' .....if it results in a positive response from the company in question, you need to post a positive comment back i.e. 'Thanks BT for getting my broadband problem fixed'

It sounds as though you've got it sorted ga, good for you!

No GN flash mob gathering at your local Comet then?

jinglej Thu 13-Oct-11 14:32:15

Hublady shock Where can we shop from?!!

I think all the shops are tightening up on the refunds etc. to keep profits up.

jinglej Thu 13-Oct-11 14:30:54

Glamma - "Scouse Mouth"! grin Love it.

Hublady Thu 13-Oct-11 14:20:41

I wouldn't be so confident about John Lewis. Their online customer service are just as evasive as Comet. I don't trust them any more, would never shop there again. Thanks for this opportunity to get some real information out on John Lewis.

glammanana Wed 12-Oct-11 18:19:18

Thanks for the info link Annobel I am going to keep it for future reference just in case I ever need it,it's very useful.According to DH when I go on the complaining trail I develope what he call's my Scouse Mouth (what ever he mean's by that I would not know)blushas I alway's think of myself as the absolute lady where matter's of discussion are concerned.