Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not forwarding those sentimental and inspirational emails

(32 Posts)
Elegran Mon 24-Oct-11 16:03:31

I feel an ungrateful heel when I fail to "forward this to six other people within the next half-hour" or whatever.

I have a dear friend who forwards me a lot of those pyramid-type messages that circulate round the internet. I know she sends me them so that I know that she is thinking of me and sending her love when things are difficult, but I really cannot bring myself to forward them to everyone - or even to a small selection of my address book.

It dates back to school days, when chain letters would go around, often ending in something like "If you send this to six other people something wonderful will happen to you within a week. If not, the sky will fall in ....." and some girls got really upset because they could not find six friends who had not already received one. To me, they are emotional blackmail.

And then there are those pseudo-medical ones, which tell you on no account to eat or drink this or that or you will drop down dead instantly.

Am I the only party pooper?

gracesmum Wed 26-Oct-11 12:56:51

I wondered why I hadn't been getting them Elegran - so that is why I haven't been winning Euromillions etc wink !!

JessM Wed 26-Oct-11 16:56:59

Some of them are harmless. Some of them carry viruses. Some of them are misinformation (e.g. plastic causes breast cancer). Some of them make feel people anxious (chain letters). Petitions aren't petitions.
My all time favourite was the one that said Mars would shortly appear in the sky, bigger than the moon!!!
Delete the lot I say.

Gilly70 Fri 28-Oct-11 17:43:03

I quite often delete without even reading them! Sometimes pass on funny jokes to selected few, but always delete all the preamble with email addresses. Hackers must love these emails giving them all this info!

JessM Fri 28-Oct-11 21:06:38

Oh yes I forgot, sometimes they are a way of helping hackers garner email addresses...

Oxon70 Tue 08-Nov-11 15:44:13

JessM, I couldn't agree more about the email addresses. I keep getting soppy,schmaltzy mails - sometimes funny - from someone in the US in my gardening list, and if by chance I do decide to pass anything on, I always delete the former addresses.

tanith Tue 08-Nov-11 17:09:38

I never forward them on I agree with the others there is something a bit manipulative about them..