Gransnet forums

AIBU

Olympic posters

(39 Posts)
yogagran Fri 04-Nov-11 19:00:02

A series of 12 posters for next years Olympic Games has just been unveiled at Tate Britain, am I alone in being disappointed in the designs?

I never believed that anything associated with the 2012 Olympics could be worse than the logo. But I'm wrong!
Perhaps we should have opened up the competition for the design of the posters to art students instead of "established artists"

grannyactivist Wed 07-Dec-11 01:12:24

Agreed yoga, the stamps are certainly better, but spoiled by having that silly little logo on them. hmm

grannyactivist Wed 07-Dec-11 01:08:04

The posters: no, I'm not keen on any of them. I think that an open competition, with differing age groups, would have certainly offered a cheaper - and in my view - a much more interesting, interpretation of the games. Off to check out the stylish stamps now.

yogagran Tue 06-Dec-11 23:22:47

I've just seen the design of the stamps that will be issued to commemorate the Olympic and I'm pleasantly surprised. They're stylish, appropriate and very good. So it can be done after all

Jacey Fri 11-Nov-11 19:45:06

Yes a children's/student's competition would have been good ...after all the Radio Times did one for the wedding this year ...with some super results.

It would have been another way to involve the wider public too!

yogagran Fri 11-Nov-11 19:15:44

That's how it should have been done Annobel - they would have been better

Annobel Fri 11-Nov-11 13:20:49

Alternatively, primary school kids - maybe Blue Peter could have had a competition.

absentgrana Fri 11-Nov-11 13:06:37

Wouldn't they have done better to ask final year students of graphic art to design the posters?

Annobel Fri 11-Nov-11 13:03:34

Agree about the London bus etc at the 2008 closing ceremony. I hope that taught them a lesson and that they don't have Boris waffling on about wiff-waff! In fact, if Boris is still Mayor next summer, a hefty dose of laryngitis would be in order. And I do not see the point of those 'arty' posters. Why can't they do anything in a straightforward manner?

Jacey Fri 11-Nov-11 12:58:23

Yes Annobel I love watching most sports ...and am looking forward to the actual events too. smile It's the " publicity" aspect I'm unhappy with. I'm sure there are many who were not impressed by 'London's offering' at the 2008 closing ceremony.sad

crimson Thu 10-Nov-11 22:06:26

..which means we'll be able to get tickets...wink

crimson Thu 10-Nov-11 22:05:35

I am being positive; I'm positive it's going to be a disaster sad and really worried that, with all the world economies falling to bits no one will come here to see it sad sad...

Annobel Thu 10-Nov-11 21:56:54

I am with you, JessM. I love watching sport of almost any kind - well, NOT motor sport. How can we hope to inspire the younger generations if we take a negative view of the Olympics? I remember the 1948 Games, when I was only 7, and the excitement they caused across the whole nation even though few regions at the time had television. I'm sure the 2012 Games will be equally exciting and, I hope, get the youngsters off their computers and onto the playing fields, swimming pools and athletics tracks.

JessM Thu 10-Nov-11 21:19:37

maybe we should pull ourselves together and start being positive instead of whingeing poms. I have got some tickets for the athletics!!!! I am looking forward to it and it will be happening before we know it!

Jacey Thu 10-Nov-11 20:50:31

Olympics - does every announcement fill you with dread?

Well it is beginning to! ...latest?

They've removed HMS Belfast from the posters that have gone up around London!!

Some young thing ...sitting in an office ...it got in the way of the writing!!

Excuse me?? hmm

JessM Wed 09-Nov-11 13:47:16

It is spread a bit. The sailing is not in London and neither is the rowing.

crimson Wed 09-Nov-11 10:13:27

I really don't understand why the Olympics couldn't have been spread over the country and not just in [yawn] London, as ever. Being such a small country I bet Games that have been held in places such as America have covered an area much wider than us.

carboncareful Tue 08-Nov-11 18:04:10

We are paying for the whole of the Olympics not just the posters. The bankers should pay I say.

Justjackie Tue 08-Nov-11 17:14:30

I would like to ask ,who is paying for these posters, tHE long suffering public again I think they are diabolical how embarassing when overseas visitors get to see them. they will think we couldn't afford anything good so we got pre school kids to paint them. Up here In Sunny Lincolnshire we have always felt cut off from all things Olympic , after seeing these I'm glad

Joan Mon 07-Nov-11 22:31:37

We're the same, Toria. My interest, in this matter, is in the artwork only.

I used to swim cycle and hike, and have watched bits of the Tour de France because of the vistas you see, as much as anything. Mind you, when I see a cyclist suffering on the hill climbs, I feel what they are going through, having cycled in the hills of Yorkshire for many years.

Generally though, watching any sport bores me rigid. We make sure we hire lots of DVDs to watch during the Olympics, because the saturation coverage here is nauseating on many levels. This is Australia, where sport is the national religion, and I'm not religious!!

toria100 Mon 07-Nov-11 16:39:12

I find the Olympics completely irrelevant to me and my family.
None of us ever watches sport on television or plays any. As a rural family busy with country life and tasks we are physically too tired to need to play sport.
We live in the North of Scotland and it would be far too expensive to travel to even Glasgow to watch the sports and to stay overnight.I dont think even the torch relay comes within 250 miles of us.
I am dreading a summer of television /radio dominated by Olympic hype.

absentgrana Mon 07-Nov-11 11:59:23

I think the real issue is that posters have a purpose, so these should be saying a) Olympics b) London c) 2012 and, generally speaking, these don't. Posters are different from pure art. Some of them seem to have at least some connection with a), b) or c) and some are pleasing to look at – but is that enough? I agree with you Mishap about the bizarre mascots.

Joan Mon 07-Nov-11 11:04:12

Don't mind numbers 1,4,8,9,10,11
Not impressed by the rest.
Nothing screamed great at me - I think the above numbers were adequate.

I guess I have damned them with faint praise, haven't I?

yogagran Sat 05-Nov-11 22:33:26

Just thought that I should perhaps add this link for anyone having trouble finding the pictures:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15577818

artygran Sat 05-Nov-11 18:22:59

I haven't taken a lot of notice of who they were by, but I quite like the blue one, which does look a bit like a swimmer underwater. As modern art, they may have something to say. As Olympic posters, they are meaningless.

Jacey Sat 05-Nov-11 18:15:43

So true JessM ... they do not leap out as London Olympics