Gransnet forums

AIBU

Verification Process

(16 Posts)
glammanana Wed 09-Nov-11 18:29:55

When I've had a problem with them (and I have problems with a lot of things! blonde affliction me thinks)the original words are deleted and a new set have replaced them in a similar format,I always make sure I copy exactly ie :cap letters lower case etc.confused

Elegran Wed 09-Nov-11 17:50:54

Jacey If a sneaky bot was trying to sign in to somewhere - to send spam perhaps? it should be caught by the strange letters. They are not bright enough to see the letters overlapping and distorted. Any day now, of course, someone will programme one to get round that. They get sneakier all the time.

Elegran Wed 09-Nov-11 17:47:09

There's a reason for everything Jingly, so there must be a reason why no-one can understand your posts. As was said on the Goon show "Everyone gotta be somewhere"

Jacey Wed 09-Nov-11 17:44:02

Thank you Elegran ...I didn't know that ...I just hate the things because often the way they are presented ...overlapping ...means there could be more than one option. However ...I've usually found that if I keep trying ...one comes up that I can get right grin ...but have come across these things in situations where I wouldn't have thought some machine would want to be?? confused Also ...some of them give you an aural option ...but usually I can't keep up with that either! blush

crimson Wed 09-Nov-11 17:11:43

Thats why the forum I've just tried to join said 'this is to check that you're human'..I had no idea what they meant. they won't let me join anyway, because I have to give my full real name and I didn't understand.Npw I don't know how to change it

jingle Wed 09-Nov-11 17:07:09

Whaddya mean Elegran?! grin

jingle Wed 09-Nov-11 17:06:29

Could well apply to either! grin

GoldenGran Wed 09-Nov-11 16:58:15

I find them really hard to decipher and have try over and over agin. The verification things I mean not your posts Jinglegrin

Elegran Wed 09-Nov-11 16:27:24

There must be a reason.....

jingle Wed 09-Nov-11 16:22:26

I meant it was clever of you to know why they do it. hmm

Why can no one understand my posts!

Elegran Wed 09-Nov-11 16:11:53

It would be even cleverer if it did not bamboozle most of the humans. At least when you get it wrong it gives you another set. to mess up

jingle Wed 09-Nov-11 16:09:52

That's very clever Elegran! I didn't know that.

Elegran Wed 09-Nov-11 15:33:00

The reasoning is that humans can work out what it says, but those automatic robot readers that are used to harvest passwords are bamboozled.

A lot of us must be secret robots, like those lizards in V with rubber human masks.

bagitha Wed 09-Nov-11 15:28:43

There is usually an option to ask for a different one, I think.

greenmossgiel Wed 09-Nov-11 15:19:12

This seems to be something to do with security, j45108, but I can't understand how, if I can't make head nor tail of what I'm seeing, how can anyone else! confused

j45108 Wed 09-Nov-11 15:15:36

Is it unreasonable to expect to be able to make out the words used in the verification process on web sites. Tried to sign up to a forum today and gave up after failing to get the correct verification string.