Gransnet forums

AIBU

War Baby

(28 Posts)
Seventimesfive Tue 22-Nov-11 09:38:28

Thanks gracesmum, I haven't read any of Melvyn Bragg's books but will go to the library today. Reading was always my refuge and learning ground and still is today!

gracesmum Mon 21-Nov-11 22:52:34

Have you read Melvyn Bragg's book The Soldier's Return? Although it is more about a boy and his father after the Burma campaign, it is a fascinating insight into the complex issues of husbands/fathers fitting back into their family. It's one of a trilogy and rather better than some of his other stuff!

Seventimesfive Mon 21-Nov-11 20:51:34

My fathers recent death at the age of 93 has reawakened for me the difficulties that we had while I was growing up. I was born in 1943 and did not know my father until he returned home when I was three and I apparently said to my mother "Who is that man in bed with you?" He never spoke about the war and had had an all male upbringing, public school and then into the army. From an adult perspective I am sure that his early years and then war contributed to the difficulty he had in relating to a lively inquisitive and argumentative little girl. I have been unable to find any research or novels dealing with the return of fathers after the war. I recently saw Mike Leigh's new play "Grief" which is based in 1957 and it had all the tension and depression that I remember as a teenager.

Does anyone else have similar experiences which they would be able to share?

I