Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not met granddaughter yet

(58 Posts)
Libradi Fri 09-Dec-11 08:37:30

Oh jojo having just become a granny again myself I feel so sorry that you've not been able to visit and see your DGD. I'm sure they will soon want to show her off and include you in their little family.

As far as texts and fb are concerned I'm afraid it's what they all do now and the quickest way of letting people know their news.
Sending you ((huggs)) and hope that you get to meet your DGD very soon.

kittylester Fri 09-Dec-11 08:13:13

That is sad jojo. It would have been lovely to see the baby soon after birth and to exclaim that she looks like someone on OUR side of the family (or is that just me?) but please don't take it to heart. As everyone else says, they will be so glad of your presence before too long and, also as others have said, you have years ahead of you to get to know the little person. Do tell us what she is called. thanks

shysal Fri 09-Dec-11 08:04:23

I feel for you jojo. It is understandable that you feel hurt. I hope you will soon get to see your new granddaughter. I expect your son and daughter-in-law have tunnel vision at the moment, concentrating on the rather scary task of caring for a new baby. Once they start to relax I am sure they will be anxious to show her off. You have years of fun ahead of you, but I know how difficult it will be to have patience!
Do you know the name yet? Keep us posted, it will help to let out your feelings on here. thanks

Carol Fri 09-Dec-11 07:56:33

As nannym has said, make an offer to help in some way, which will remind them you are there. Perhaps say 'so looking forward to meeting new grandaughter.' And as Mamie says, when reality sets in they will be yelling for you to come running. New parents start off with all sorts of ideas about how to perfect the bonding process, and they go straight out of the window within days. Often, the ideas are one of the couple's and the other goes along with them so they can be supportive. The reality of lost sleep and extreme fatigue soon alters those plans. I do hope you get to enjoy your new grandaughter very soon thanks

Butternut Fri 09-Dec-11 07:45:11

Congratulations.

Your grandchild is well, your daughter-in-law and son are well, and you have many years ahead to enjoy and delight in your grandchild. A few days now makes v. little difference. Let them bond as a family, there will be plenty of time for you soon.

nannym Fri 09-Dec-11 07:00:30

I echo that. A text to your son saying something along the lines of hoping all is going well and that baby is doing well and asking if they need any shopping perhaps?

Mamie Fri 09-Dec-11 06:53:51

It is hard, but I would just give it a bit of time. I would let them know that you understand and will be there whenever they need you. I am pretty sure that once reality sets in they will forget all the bonding stuff and be grateful for all the help they can get. Congratulations and good luck!

jojo Fri 09-Dec-11 06:22:19

Our first grandchild was born 2 days ago & we thought we would meet her yesterday, but son & DIL have indicated they want a week to bond on their own & get into a routine. We are so upset as had rushed around yesterday buying cards,presents, flowers & hubby had made one of his special cottage pies to take round for them. I knew they didn't want lots of visitors straight after the birth but didn't dream this meant grandparents too. I had also saved lots of holiday time at work to help DIL but it doesn't seem I will be needed. (DIL's mum lives a long way away & cannot get to visit often, she has been told to visit after Christmas).
I didn't want to interfere but just pop in for an hour or so now & again to make them a meal, put some washing on or be on hand so DIL could have a relaxing bath or a couple of hours sleep. I don't understand as DIL had included me a lot during pregnancy by inviting me to ante natal classes my son couldn't attend & always encouraging me to feel bump when there was movement.
Also upset as we heard about birth by text rather than a call & also discovered they had announced it on FB many hours before bothering to phone the great grandma & great grandpa who were amongst the last to know!
I am yearning to meet the baby but I'm trying not to be upset & to focus on the wonderful years ahead we will have. Any advice from experienced grannies? (Please go easy on me - first post!)