Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think leaders in RICH churches

(3 Posts)
bagitha Mon 26-Dec-11 13:30:41

should contemplate their own glass houses before sounding off against greed in others. Please note, I am not defending greedy bankers or looters, only thinking archbishops and popes and the like have got a damn cheek.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/goodwill-to-all-men--apart-from-the-bankers-6281516.html

Also, I keep wondering why people keep saying Rowan Williams is an intellectual. The quotation from his speech that is given in the above article doesn't even make sense. I have to admit that I don't listen to him if I can help it (which I can, thank god) but I do read articles like this that quote him. I have yet to be even a little bit impressed by his much touted intellectualism.

wisewoman Mon 26-Dec-11 19:17:44

I don't think his comments add anything to the debate. Isn't it sad that the teachings of simple wisdom of such men as Jesus of Nazareth should give rise to huge rich organisations whose main task seems to be to perpetuate themselves and ensure their own continued hierarchical structures rather than living out the message of simplicity. That maybe didn't come out right, but I am sure you know what I mean.

We visited the Vatican last year on a tour of Rome and I couldn't believe the endless rooms full of gold and artworks. If they were sold I am sure they could make huge inroads into the costs of the feeding programmes of Oxfam. I am sure some people would say that it wouldn't make a huge difference but better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

Faye Tue 27-Dec-11 01:49:07

I wonder if some of them really do give much thought to their speeches. The Archbishop of Sydney has recently purchased 'Domus Australia guest house in Rome - a beautifully refurbished old religious house with 33 rooms for paying visitors, a richly restored grand chapel and organ and a 150-seat auditorium opened by Pope Benedict XVI last month - cost between $30 million and $85 million, according to different estimates.' He has been criticised for reserving a grand apartment for himself.

His Christmas speech this year was to 'remind people that they often take for granted their blessings of prosperity, peace and a good climate.

Cardinal Pell said Christmas was always a consolation to those who were down and out because the birth of Jesus showed that the poor and suffering would have pride of place in heaven.' confused