Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be annoyed

(88 Posts)
numberplease Tue 27-Dec-11 20:35:31

That my husband has hardly touched his meals all over Christmas, yet can find room for fruit, jelly and cream afterwards, and chocolates. We needn`t have bothered buying a turkey, he`s only nibbled at his, and my daughter says there was nothing wrong with it, and it tasted OK to me. He says it`s because he`s not as hungry these days, but in that case, how come he can eat the fancy stuff? There was even a row at teatime today, he said there was too much on his plate, yet I deliberately gave him less than usual. I`m sorry to be such a misery, it`s just getting me down.

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 16:56:50

I am ANNOYED! this is the third unsolicited phone call today. They all say international out of area!
And yes I am on that BT thing
Mind you once had a phone call from Wales that said it was international out of area, I can see the place from my window( if it's not raining or snowing)

eGJ Mon 30-Jan-12 20:44:35

Are you more annoyed at the ones when someone talks or those silient ones which hang up after a pause Jeni?

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 20:50:01

Equally at both if I'm on the loo, in the shower or cooking some thing complicated. I'll swear they have my house bugged so as to know when it is most difficult to get to the phone and then dial.angry

Nanban Mon 30-Jan-12 20:50:41

I've just arrived at the annoying husband post. Give him a smaller plate and remove all the sweets, jellies etc from the house. Or, just let him get on with it and cook your favourite things for you.

petallus Mon 30-Jan-12 21:29:01

If I know I'm going to be in the loo for more than 10 seconds I always take a phone in with me. I couldn't relax otherwise, knowing that a call was likely to come in smile.

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 21:33:05

I'm not usually expecting calls when they do it. Plus the loo it is a private place where non I think do embrace talk

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 21:41:36

Sorry, should read. The loos a fine and private place etc. with appologies to Marvel " to a coy mistress "

bagitha Mon 30-Jan-12 22:06:40

On my trip to Glen Etive with two teenage boys recently (plus the mum of one of them!), they said the thing to do with annoying phone calls is to go into the bathroom with the phone and flush the toilet.

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 22:13:29

Love it. Do you flush the phone down too?

Elegran Mon 30-Jan-12 22:15:49

I was VERY RUDE to the twentieth foreign voice that phoned to tell me that they were from Microsoft Windows and it had come to their attention that my computer probably had a virus.

jeni Mon 30-Jan-12 22:18:10

QUITE so was I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gracesmum Mon 30-Jan-12 22:50:16

Done that jeni but not deliberately - mobile fell out of jeans back pocket one day. Felt a bit embarrassed when I went to the Orange shop for a replacement. As for the little Indian man who claims to be from Micrsoft, I tell him I don't have a computer. Still gets on my tho.

numberplease Mon 30-Jan-12 23:19:39

As soon as I hear an Indian voice, I tell them to go away, then hang up. Especially as they never get our name right, I`m so fed up of being asked if I`m Mrs. Smelly, or sometimes Smally, the name is SMALLEY, not that difficult, surely?

Carol Mon 30-Jan-12 23:38:51

I have had a really good experience with an Indian call centre, when I had my PC and Virgin cable, and it wasn't accessing broadband correctly. I spoke to two different, very articulate Indian technicians, who took me patiently through the process, then phoned me back next day to ensure it was working correctly now. When I spoke to them on line they both said it was a pleasure to know they had been helpful, and asked if there was anything else they could do for me. That was then.

I don't think Virgin use Indian call centres now - I left them because they were rude and disinterested - they gave my phone number to a neighbour when I was on holiday, said they'd compensate me with £10 off my bill, then added £10 instead and wouldn't correct the problem when I complained.

bagitha Tue 31-Jan-12 06:28:44

DD2s favourite primary school teacher was called Miss Smellie. Jack Smellie she called herself. She was great. Wonder what happened to her? Smellie is a proud Scottish name. I've often wondered about its origins.

greenmossgiel Tue 31-Jan-12 10:00:52

I've had a few of these calls with the foreign voice informing me that I have problems with my computer, and I just lay the phone down and go and do something else for a while until they realise there's no-one there. However, my sister-in-law, who is 84, and doesn't own a computer, has also been receiving them, and it was worrying her a bit. One day while I was visiting her, another similar call came through, and she silently handed it to me. The chap asked me if I was Mrs H (which I was) and he proceeded to go through the problems I was going through with my computer. I asked him how he knew I had a computer? He carried on with the list of things that would go wrong with my computer soon, if I didn't follow his instructions. I asked him again how he knew that I had one? He became quite aggressive and asked me if I thought he'd been 'spying on my house?' I didn't discuss it any further, apart from to say that I would be reporting the call to the police. Obviously, he rang off, but my sister-in-law was quite worried by the tone of the call. I advised her to put the phone down straight away should she receive any more calls like that. Not pleasant. angry

Elegran Tue 31-Jan-12 14:10:37

Have just put a flea in the era of yet another foreigner who wanted to fix the virus that Windows had supposedly detected in my computer. Do they think our heads button up the back?

bagitha Tue 31-Jan-12 14:13:56

It's especially fun when you can tell them you don't use Windoze. Takes them ages to geddit.

FlicketyB Tue 31-Jan-12 15:21:36

DH regularly gets calls from overseas company trying to sell him duff shares. He recently got a letter from the FSA warning him he was on some list that they had acquired as the result of a financial fraud case. We always know when a call is a boiler room call because they call him James when he is universally known as JIm. If I pick the call up I pass it to him while saying in a loud voice close to the phone. 'Its another one of those boiler room scams for you'. They have usually rung off by the time he gets the phone.

JessM Tue 31-Jan-12 16:09:44

Since my MIL got scammed into giving her credit card number on the phone it REALLY pees me off to think about such criminals frightening vulnerable people.
She was upset for weeks and still gets in a state if there is something unexpected on her bank statement.
And Barclays were terrible in how they dealt with it. She had never "activated" the card or used it.
Took the full force of my SIL - who is a very senior HR person in banking sector - and even then they were slow and difficult.

Elegran Sat 04-Feb-12 12:57:05

Here is an article about these calls. www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

supernana Sat 04-Feb-12 13:15:04

We have been plagued by calls relating to India call centres. Same time every day. I asked for the caller to PLEASE not continue. Last evening, the caller told me to "GET LOST"...I cannot lodge a complaint because the caller's number is withheld. angry

jeni Sat 04-Feb-12 13:25:35

I have received a new version of unsolicited call. Phone goes, display shows "private number. Number withheld." as some of my friends do have that I answer. I then get a very nice female voice asking me if I have received my heating grant yet.
I have 11inches of insulation in my loft, when I needed a new boiler I enquired and was told the only option was to have it installed in my kithem by removing half 'y cupboards and then surface pipe across ceilings and down walls.
I paid instead to have a discrete new system installed.
I have double glazing and my walls are solid stone ( no cavity)
Telecon can do nowt as it is a private number.
It is very annoying!
And as to calls from India, I get at least three a day!

bagitha Sat 04-Feb-12 13:55:23

If it's an 'out of area' number on my phone, I pick up the phone but say nothing. The India calls then hang up automatically because the computer that has called the number 'thinks' that a machine has answered. If it's a 'real' caller, they will speak but if they don't tell me very quickly who they are, I put the phone down. It's working so far. Genuine people understand.

Elegran Sat 04-Feb-12 14:59:32

We receive some potentially very important calls (from the GP, and the hospice staff - community nurse, physiotherapist and alternative therapist - who all visit DH at home frequently, for instance) that come up as "private number" so ignoring them when they are flagged up is out of the question, and it is automatic to say "hello" when I pick up the handset. It gets put down again PDQ but by then I have stopped what I am doing to answer and have to pick up the thread again.